the "S", "B" and the "Q" words

Q, S, and B words... a jinx?  

94 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

I find it interesting how we work in a profession that depends on good old rational observation, and proven fact as the basis for protocol and treatment, but wholeheartedly inbrace the superstition of Q, S , B and rubbish such as Black and White clouds.

• Like 1

I agree with you hellsbells.

Now I have been bored at work and said bored, slow, quite, etc. I have described all sorts of calls and gotten none. Then other days it is funny how you say it and it happens. Would it have happened had you not said it? Yes. But still funny.

It's just like when asleep and you wake up go pee and then the tones drop. Many claim you sensed something and got yourself ready. Of course I don't buy that. More often tones wake me up and I have to go with a bladder that one wrong bump is going to make it explode.

Life is full of coincidence. Enjoy it, have fun with it.

I had a shift like that last night. I kept saying things like, "I'm bored!", "We haven't had ----- run in awhile". I even took my boots off and got a four hour nap (impressive for night shift.) Nothing worked until 0630 (half hour til shift change). At that point, I didn't care I would get off late. I was bored out of my mind!

-Kat

I agree hellsbells, thats all BS, there are days I run 6 calls (emergencies and transports) and days I don't turn a wheel, so the Q,S,B and cloud stuff is garbage, I wish I had more emergencies honestly. This town is DEAD,, oops another bad word......lol :D

I agree hellsbells, thats all BS, there are days I run 6 calls (emergencies and transports) and days I don't turn a wheel, so the Q,S,B and cloud stuff is garbage, I wish I had more emergencies honestly. This town is DEAD,, oops another bad word......lol :D

Your next ten calls will be 300+ lb cardiac arrests..

• 2 years later...

Here it's the act of taking off your boots.

We would keep track of this. We would literally call it out before we did it so no one could make it up ("oh, I JUST took my boots off"). We'd call it out, then do (either to recline on couch or go to bed), and the phone would ring within 60 seconds...even if it had been quiet for hours.

It's true. It's all like some kind of a Oman. This morning, I had my hiking boots on to get the mail. Just b/c they're comfy. I take them off, put on my sneakers to go to the bank, now that I was dressed more formally.

Bam. Wilderness Rescue. Never got to the bank, but it was as simple as simple comes, when you're off the beaten path. Even dodged a rain storm.

April 12, 2008 to May 17, 2010. Somewhere, someone has a picture of himself as a very old person on the garage or attic wall!

I also have seen reversals. I have had activity hungry newjacks use the words to drum up business or activity levels, and get nothing.

I have had a 36 hour tour, on an ambulette (!) where nothing took me even close to a drive thru burger barn, back to back assignments. Depression is a peanut butter on almost stale rye sandwich at 3:30 AM, when finally at home on pager alert, after the coin operated candy machines at the hospital steals your last coins.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.