Paying for medic school; can't think up a creative title

I am curious to hear, what ways have people found to finance...

You haven't stated what your current job is, but there are jobs you can do that can help you along and flex with your schedule. When I was in college I worked at the local hospital. Lots of perks; flexible hours (I worked evenings or graveyard) to accommodate my classes, halfway decent pay, and the staff was very willing to share their knowledge (best perk). And I bought Starbucks, early on, good perk but aside the point.

Best of luck to you :lol:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't federal loans be the best bet? Their requirement for an accredited college may seem like a hindrance, but wouldn't you want to get your education in an accredited college anyway?

Anyway, the way I'm getting through medical school (and two of my friends are actually doing the same for paramedic school in Detroit), is through state-sponsored loans (Icelandic, the following terms may not apply to the US federal loans).

The loans we get are fixed amounts for living expenses, books, and traveling (traveling, since we're studying abroad). Also, they loan us money for tuition fees, minus about $650 USD per year, which we have to pay out of the pocket. Extra loans are available if we're providing for a spouse, children, elderly parents, etc. There's a maximum amount they give us for tuition fees, though. My six years will go close to that maximum, but won't quite reach it.

The loans don't carry any interest while we're in school, but immediately after graduation (or if we drop out), they start collecting 1% interest. We don't have to start paying back until 2 years after graduation (or drop-out), and then we just have an annual payment of about 3-4% of our salary. If we can't find a job, lose it, get sick or injured and can't work, etc., the 3-4% boils down to a very small payment. If we die before we finish paying off the loan, it simply expires, they write it off.

One caveat, though. They only give us the loan after we've finished each semester, and then only if we've passed 75% or more of what is considered full time study (30 ECTS units per semester*). This means we have to get a loan from a bank and then repay the bank after each semester (living expenses) or school year (tutition fees).

* ECTS = European Credit Transfer System. Each credit unit corresponds to roughly 30 hours of work for an average student.

Aim High

Be All You Can Be

If you have the guts.

I like this guy!

my 2 cents - I did it 12 years ago as follows:

1- swallowed most of if not all of my pride.

2- took a job as a security guard -gave me flexible hours and I was able to study while at work.

3- I was in the National guard ( that one weekend a month two weeks a year came in handy- every penny counts!)

4- never looked back

• 3 weeks later...

I worked as a cashier at Walmart when I was in EMT school, then went to work as a basic at a small transport service while in medic school, I didn't have a day off for like 6 months but it was worth it. Taking the NR test in July. I went through the community college and got pell grants

• 3 months later...

Rich kid...asked for help from my parents. There are also student loans.

I dispatch full time for a private company - I just got lucky in the class times and my already scheduled shifts. When it comes time for clinical rotations, again, work it all out in relation to work.

Sell blood up to $60 a week.

Universities need semen, $75 a shot at OHSU in Portland, up to 10 times.

Cosmetic testing - Save the bunnies!

Steal copper wire from construction sites - ask your local meth head for job opportunities.

and then there is this...

Image1-7.jpg

Worked for me!!

Seriously Stafford loans.

Peace,

Marty

• 2 years later...

I did a lot of shift trades, a few sick days, all my vacation vacation, and no sleep. Good luck! as far as paying for it, in New Mexico the department of labor was more then willing to pay for it because it was high demand, might try that, and see if you can get grants by filling out a FAFSA application.

Oh and by the way make the decision to fly, or don't jump. give up social life, and anything fun. You can't get through Paramedic school half ass. Good luck again I feel your pain ;)

Edited by LyonN