Paying for medic school; can't think up a creative title

I am curious to hear, what ways have people found to finance a private medic program?

Also how have you worked it around a FT job? Did you switch shifts, or anything on those lines?

I am looking to take a medic class, but I can't give up this full time job I have right now, and taking out a loan isn't an option due to some bad marks on my report.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the first question is, what is your full time job? How about going to a community college, getting tons of financial aid, doing a work study? I found earlier in my schooling that working at a couple of bars was easy money.. theres always private services prn, 911 services prn, where theres a will, theres a way..

go to a community college, take their paramedic course and finance it via federal student loans.

If someone with my credit can get a 40K loan for graduate school anyone can. At the time of my masters degree program 6 years ago my credit score was a little under 500. It's now 650 so you can do it.

I worked full time to pay for my regular bills, and then a part time job to pay for school. Its hard to work all the schedules around each other but you'll figure it out after a few weeks, good luck with medic school. If you like ems you will love going through medic school, you learn a ton and realize how much you really didn't know before.

Being a bartender has financed many an upcoming Paramedic through school. The hours are flexible and it's easy cash. My daughter worked at Applebee's for 6 years and it carried her through school (she majored in Photojournalism). She also made $300 this past Valentines Day in tips.

I took off a semester of my Paramedic class to get "ahead". Yeah, right. Now I am down one semester and had to actually quit that job because my boss was wanting me to do her job so she could go out and party. I had to make a decision that this next year and a half was going to be about me and me only. A difficult choice for someone who is a "people pleaser". I am planning on taking out student loans to compensate for work I will miss but to me it's worth it. The key is to find an acredited college to get into to get those loans.

Do what you have to do, know your suffering and sleepless nights aren't going to last forever, and that you will have a Paramedic licence you can be proud of because you worked your tail off to get it.

In our area the hospital district will actually give a scholarship if you sign agreement to work for one of the rural communities. But they want it to be existing employees moving up a level. Some companys will do the same. Just ask around. If in small community might even find a citizen to help get you educated. Odds are you'll still pay out of pocket. Hope at least gave you some positive input since I don't like dispatchers. :wink:

I don't know a good way...but I'll tell you my way.

5a Out of bed.

6a At the job site.

1p Home to study the flash card my wife made while I was at work.

4p Leave for school

10p Home from school

10p-11:30p read chapters for next class (Mon,Tues,Thurs,Friday classes)

(For me, not being the brightest bulb on the tree, 4 1/2 hrs/day is the minimum I can study and not flounder)

12a Back to bed

Wed, Sat, clinicals from 6a-2p then to work until 6p, then reading or flashcards.

If I think I have a snowballs chance of being caught up then I take my family and my books to the mountains on Sunday..but not always.

So far this has kept me with a 3.54gpa in medic school...not what I'd hoped for, but at least I haven't flunked out yet.

I spent my years from 0-12 on a working cattle ranch and from 13-19 on a Minn cash crop farm and I can tell you this is the hardest thing I've ever done.

I will truly find some way to curse the 'counsel of elders' here for it someday... :wink:

I don't mean to dissuade you, just to help you get into the mind set that it might not be easy...

Good luck!

Dwayne

(Oh yeah, and when I think it would be much better to gouge my eyes out with thistles than look at my books for one more second...I come to EMTCity..)

I am curious to hear, what ways have people found to finance a private medic program?

Also how have you worked it around a FT job? Did you switch shifts, or anything on those lines?

I am looking to take a medic class, but I can't give up this full time job I have right now, and taking out a loan isn't an option due to some bad marks on my report.

although not a medic school student yet i start in sept. my schedule/plan is the following, my medic class is exactly 12 months btw,

6am to 2pm working(as an emt-b of course) 2-6 study /travel to school 6-10 school. and thats mon tues wed thurs, friday 6am-2pm work, 3pm-11pm clinical, and my job allows me to change my days working/days off so if i have clinicals i must do in the AM hours on a weekday i switch around. oh and i have class every other saturday from 9-5, weeks without school clinical.

just my plan, good luck with it all ..