smle

Who can use an LMA  

38 members have voted

1. 1.

• Basic, Intermediate, Paramedic
    • Intermediate, Paramedic
    • Paramedic only
    • We don't use them at all in EMS.

I guess it comes down to this... what advantage does the LMA have over a Combitube?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe CT can only be used on dead patients, LMAs are more flexible in that regard.

CT offers identical airway protection/oxygenation/blood gases (I think, or it is high comparable) to an ETT. The main differences are cost (significant), sizing restrictions, and the fact that as it is a blind insertion with the majority entering the esophagus. It eliminates the tube as a med route if it is not in the trachea.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the medics here are going to start using them when we can look at them without blushing and giggling. COME ON! YOU ALL THOUGHT IT WHEN YOU SAW ONE THE FIRST TIME!

They are ALS only over here. We have them as a back up if intubation fails.

In my experience they are great in the OR but not very secure pre-hospital. We don't use combi-tubes, obturators etc.

Happy EMS week to you all. Fly safe, drive safe, be safe.

As for the LMA being dummy proof.. LOL... So are CT's. If ya can't ventilate thru either #1 or #2 tube :?
If you can't ventilate through either tube, you must have it in the wrong end of the patient! :shock:

The LMA does have some advantages over the CBT in that it comes in various sizes and can be used on Adults & Peds. The last time that I checked the CBT only came in two sizes, so it has limited use in the field.

The big problem with the LMA is the cost, they are very expensive. Hopefully the cost will come down and we will see them used more in the field.

They're currently pushing legislation to allow Basics to use LMA's in NJ. Just takes forever to go through. They're pretty much dummy proof.

Actually they have approved the use for Basics but they haven't come up with the training or protocols for them yet.. I figure somewhere around 2020 we might actually get them in the field

Medic

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.