Sometimes feeling sick of all the hours

Etc. Can anybody help with this? Advice? It just seems an awful lot to put in for what comes out of it. I feel like I hardly see my husband. I work 40 hours a week, he has classes, conferences, ce hours, ride time.........and we have three kids! I know what they mean when they say its a young single persons job.

EMS isn't just a job, it becomes you. You really have to work at not letting it eat you up. You can watch people that live, eat, breath EMS and then they burn out. Your husband has to invest time into his job, but he also has to invest in to his family.

Learning to leave work at work isn't easy!

• 2 weeks later...

As one who works an average of 120 to 140 hrs a week, I can attest to that. There is very few "medical careers" that are just 40 hrs a week. That is why, I highly suggest people who are considering this as an career, to stop & think about it seriously. As a healthcare member holidays, week-ends ,etc. are just another working day, and the "family" has to learn to adapt or celebrate on other days. It can make it very difficult on a lot of people.

Good luck,

Ridryder 911

It is hard to treat EMS or any medical career as just a job that you go to and leave. We do have classes, conference, CEU's, and many other things.

As for holidays, my immediate family (parents, brother, and sister) is very willing to work with me, and we've even done Christmas @ midnight just so I could be there. My extended family is not so understanding, I get comments every year as to why I have to work on this holiday or that holiday, and then am shunned because I don't show up for family functions. I missed my cousins wedding last month because I couldn't get anyone to cover for me, and my family's reply was to "call in sick". I always tell them that emergencies happen 365 days a year, but they don't understand.

As a side note, what do your services do about holidays? We have to work on of the following:Christmas, Thanksgiving, or New Years, and we get the other two off, so its really not that bad.

I also put in 95 to 100 hours a week and yes the family does feel neglected at times. But we love what we do. It becomes a part of you. It who you are and if someone tried to take a part of you away, then you wouldn't be a complete person. Its not just a job. Because I could choose to do another job and get paid more.

If your family loves you for who you are, which is what its suppose to be, then they are beside you all the way.

I have also been told that its hard being a single parent and do EMS , but this is what I want. Im doing this because it is what I love and it will provide a decent living for me and my daughter. I dont want to rich but I dont want to be piss poor either. Right now I am working two jobs, M-F working 18-20 hrs a single day. Its rough but my hours are similar to that of EMS workers, long hard hours away from home spent trying to earn a living. I also know what its like to work on holidays and finding other days and ways to celebrate. Its a tough field no doubt, but if you put effort in both work and family it WILL work.

-Dix

No, bosco I dont actually work in EMS - and if you ask several people here I have gone through the EMT-B course and I am waiting on getting my scores back from NR. Should I pass the test, I am definitely going to be joining the EMS family. Should I get into the EMS family then I'll start my paramedic education.

-Dix

It may seem to you that it's not worth all the time and effort for what comes out of it. What do you mean? Try talking with him and finding out why he does it. Is it for the money? Or does he enjoy helping the people? I'm willing to bet that if you asked him how his day was or ask him about what's going on at work, his eyes would light up and you'd never be able to get him to stop talking about it.

The pay sucks, the hours are long, there is always a call coming out when you're trying to eat. I could list all the common reasons that my wife has listed. But then she decided to find out what goes on. She got involved and found out that this is not a job. It's a calling from somewhere deep inside. Not everyone can do this job and it takes a really special person to succeed.

What is my point in this rant? Ask HIM why he does it. Ask HIM if it's worth it all. More important of all just ask HIM anything at all. His eyes will light up and you'll never get him to stop talking about it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.