Do you properly secure patients to the cot?

Do you always properly secure patient to cot?  

35 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • How do I properly secure?

Another B.S. lawsuit, that is why they are only asking for $25,000 in damages for a wrongful suit. Seems, it he only had a few parts left...

Yes, when someone is on my cot, the rails are up and there is a minimum of three straps, unless obesity where the straps in the upper torso cannot be fastened. Now, I do not routinely place the chest straps on patients, as I have multiple complaints claustrophobic feelings with them on.

888R/r 911

you mentioned claustrophobics and state you do not routinely put the straps on. i am very claustrophobic and cannot wear the seatbelts in my personal automobile. this makes being transported by EMS personnel very difficult. our local service states that they will NOT transport anyone to the hospital without them secured. if i were injured and you were one of the EMT'S making the run and felt it necessary i go to the ER, what would be your response when i informed you that i could not tolerate being strapped down? my claustrobia is very real and very uncontrollable, and would refuse transport if not accomodated.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you mentioned claustrophobics and state you do not routinely put the straps on. i am very claustrophobic and cannot wear the seatbelts in my personal automobile. this makes being transported by EMS personnel very difficult. our local service states that they will NOT transport anyone to the hospital without them secured. if i were injured and you were one of the EMT'S making the run and felt it necessary i go to the ER, what would be your response when i informed you that i could not tolerate being strapped down? my claustrobia is very real and very uncontrollable, and would refuse transport if not accomodated.

I would contact Med Control and ask for the Med Directors opinion. Covers my ass and puts his on the line. But seriously, I have transported patients who are claustrophobic and am still able to use the straps. They just don't get tightened. While this may not be the safest answer either it's better than nothing at all. We have had to remove the shoulder straps from one patient as they were increasing the anxiety. My honest belief is that if you are so ill that you have to be transported by the ambulance you aren't really going to care if you have straps on. I would think a non-rebreather would be of bigger concern to you.

Just my thoughts and opinion.

I would contact Med Control and ask for the Med Directors opinion. Covers my ass and puts his on the line. But seriously, I have transported patients who are claustrophobic and am still able to use the straps. They just don't get tightened. While this may not be the safest answer either it's better than nothing at all. We have had to remove the shoulder straps from one patient as they were increasing the anxiety. My honest belief is that if you are so ill that you have to be transported by the ambulance you aren't really going to care if you have straps on. I would think a non-rebreather would be of bigger concern to you.

Just my thoughts and opinion.

to start i realize allowing a patient to be transported to the hospital is a serious problem for a responder. not only is this a violation of the law in almost all states, it also greatly increases the chance of injury to the patient. that is what makes my situation such a problem. my claustrophobia is such that i cannot tolerate restraint of any type, as long as i am conscious. being partially sedated for calming is not sufficient. simply the knowledge that i am being restrained causes severe anxiety attacks and i will vigorously fight any attempt at restraint. all of this is beyond any physical control of mine. the only way i can be restrained is to be unconscious. being fully aware of my condition and the protocols of every EMS unit makes the possibility of restraint application such a concern to me. adding fuel to the fire is the very real possibility of being thought to be "lacking capacity" and taken against my will. it makes no difference how seriously i may be injured or how ill i may be, for the simple KNOWLEDGE of being secured will start all this in action. the crux of my problem is--------i must be allowed to ride to the ER completely unrestrained or be rendered unconscious so i may tolerate being strapped---------A SITUATION NEITHER OF US DESIRES. thank you for listening and i would appreaciate any comments or suggestions.

to start i realize allowing a patient to be transported to the hospital is a serious problem for a responder. not only is this a violation of the law in almost all states, it also greatly increases the chance of injury to the patient. that is what makes my situation such a problem. my claustrophobia is such that i cannot tolerate restraint of any type, as long as i am conscious. being partially sedated for calming is not sufficient. simply the knowledge that i am being restrained causes severe anxiety attacks and i will vigorously fight any attempt at restraint. all of this is beyond any physical control of mine. the only way i can be restrained is to be unconscious. being fully aware of my condition and the protocols of every EMS unit makes the possibility of restraint application such a concern to me. adding fuel to the fire is the very real possibility of being thought to be "lacking capacity" and taken against my will. it makes no difference how seriously i may be injured or how ill i may be, for the simple KNOWLEDGE of being secured will start all this in action. the crux of my problem is--------i must be allowed to ride to the ER completely unrestrained or be rendered unconscious so i may tolerate being strapped---------A SITUATION NEITHER OF US DESIRES. thank you for listening and i would appreaciate any comments or suggestions.

1) What is a stretcher? Everyone walks...

2) Seriously, this is a ridiculous conversation....

2.a) You would call a doctor regarding securing a patient to the stretcher? WTF would they know?

2.B) You never have any ambulatory patients? I.e. jumpseat seatbelt only?

2.c) So people either get tickets for lack of a seatbelt in their personal vehicle due to their anxiety or are they somehow exempt?

2.d) I like how "being partially sedated is not sufficient" is mentioned. Please tell me you have been in this situation and THEY ACTUALLY SEDATED YOU....The "rendered unconscious" thing is equally ridiculous.

I don't use the shoulder straps on 99% on my patients.

My volunteer agency uses all 3 straps plus shoulder straps when needed.

We have a few members who will not tie a pt to the backboard and use the stretcher straps. I will not. I hate dealing with the ER so i tie the pt down with cravats as the ER is scissor happy.

I've ridden with paramedics who just will take the straps off and let the pt ride without them on. I keep going to put them back on, just loose so the medic can still do his work. I HATE them being unrestrained.

And the short boards....what are they used for again?? we have shit in the rig that we weren't taught in the course.

If a patient's condition were serious enough that they really required transport and they were claustrophobic to the degree you describe, we could remove the seatbelts for the patient's own good. The alternative would be not treating the patient which would also put us in a bind. We don't do chemical restraint and it'd take a lot to get a thrashing person restrained, so I think best bet would be to just transport and treat it as part of the emergency. Same way emergent young children go in parent's laps on the gurney...code 2 young children require carseat. (generally)

I agree with the above post. If the patient cannot bare any restraint due to panic, rather then risk a refusal of service for a potentially sick pt, I simply would not put any straps on. Of course this increases the risk for pt and providers, but its a risk I'm willing to take, as most trips to the hospital end without a traffic collision.

RSI... B):lol:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.