Do you properly secure patients to the cot?

Do you always properly secure patient to cot?  

35 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • How do I properly secure?

Just saw this article and made me wonder how do we secure our patients? Do we do it every time or do we get lazy at the end of a shift? Maybe worth a fight um I mean a discussion.

http://www.emsresponder.com/article/articl...n=1&id=5388

[web:c80d7c79a6]http://http://www.emsresponder.com/article/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=5388[/web:c80d7c79a6]

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What, you mean we're supposed to use MORE than the one waist strap that many of the fire departments around here transport their patients with??? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Gotta give them credit though, they do use two stretcher straps if the patient is backboarded- the stretcher straps are the only thing keeping the patient on the board, after all. :evil:

What, you mean we're supposed to use MORE than the one waist strap that many of the fire departments around here transport their patients with??? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Gotta give them credit though, they do use two stretcher straps if the patient is backboarded- the stretcher straps are the only thing keeping the patient on the board, after all. :evil:

Are you serious, they strap that well? :oops: That is scary.

Are you serious, they strap that well? :oops: That is scary.

Yeah, believe or not the only places doing it right are a couple of the privates and a couple of the volunteer services. Even one of the all-paramedic municipal 3rd services does it the lazy way. Every once in a while you find one individual paid FD crew here or there that secures correctly but its very few and very far between

Another B.S. lawsuit, that is why they are only asking for $25,000 in damages for a wrongful suit. Seems, it he only had a few parts left...

Yes, when someone is on my cot, the rails are up and there is a minimum of three straps, unless obesity where the straps in the upper torso cannot be fastened. Now, I do not routinely place the chest straps on patients, as I have multiple complaints claustrophobic feelings with them on.

R/r 911

Yeah, it was the broken neck that took 5 days to kill this guy. It had nothing to do with the ESRD, scleroderma, multiple amputations or GI bleed because other than those few small problems he was an otherwise healthy guy.

I don't secure my patients whatsoever. I allow them to get up, grab a soda and sit back down. I've even been known to lay down on the cot and let the patient sit in the bench or captains chair. I often do massages on my patients and serve them mcdonalds when they want me to stop and get them something to eat.

all kidding aside

minimum of 2 straps, legs and chest. More often three straps and if my cot is set up with the shoulder straps I use them.

I just remember a video shown here a while back of a shock comedy show where the ambulance picked someone up. Put them in the ambulance. the patient would then get up out of the cot and they put Rescue Randy the ems doll on the cot and as the ambulance started to drive away they would shove the cot and patient out the back of the doors. That video was so funny.

All our gurneys have two straps. Patients are strapped in 100% of the time with both straps and guardrails up unless there's special circumstances.

Now some questions for you guys:

Do you take you gurneys into people's homes or always leave it at the door?

Do you carry the gurney over steps (say 3 or 4 steps) where you have to lift gurney from both sides or do you always keep 2 wheels on the ground?

All our gurneys have two straps. Patients are strapped in 100% of the time with both straps and guardrails up unless there's special circumstances.

Now some questions for you guys:

Do you take you gurneys into people's homes or always leave it at the door?

Do you carry the gurney over steps (say 3 or 4 steps) where you have to lift gurney from both sides or do you always keep 2 wheels on the ground?

Our stretchers have 3 straps. Where are your 2 straps located? I guessing legs and torso, but one never knows.

Yes we carry ours into peoples homes if the situation warrants it. Remember ABC's. Airway, breathing and Can you walk? :lol:j/k

Generally, we carry it in with the wheels lowered and out with them extended. Sometimes we put them on a LSB and carry them to the stretcher. It all depends on the situation. ie: How bad they are injured/sick, size of the pt., ease of access to their location in the home etc.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.