Drinking D50

Now here's an interesting concept... if my patient is confused but has a patent airway, and I have to call for glucose but he's got a jug of orange juice in the fridge, is it kosher for me to give him a glass of OJ? I always thought so...

Easier than making them eat some nasty goop or things that taste kinda like tums...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Yes it is Kosha to give them something to drink, Jellybeans are a good quick fix for hypoglyceamic episodes. We used to steal the diabetic kid from schools jelly beans cause we thought he had the cool medicine :oops: :oops:

The key thing, is their gag/swallow reflex intact, if it is, then give them sugar. Be it OJ, Pizza, Coca Cola *before Dust jumps in with cocaine comment lol*, jam, jelly beans, or even Dextrose.

Scotty

BN, EMT-I, ACLS

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People have mentioned glucagon. I would take IV D50 over glucagon any day as a diabetic. From what I understand (never had to use glucagon) some of the side effects are nasty. The main one I have heard is severe vomiting after injection and I have heard of people being very sick for the next few days. I have had IV D50 and it does bring your glucose up quickly. Great for those who have an altered mental status. Just my 2 cents worth.

People have mentioned glucagon. I would take IV D50 over glucagon any day as a diabetic. From what I understand (never had to use glucagon) some of the side effects are nasty. The main one I have heard is severe vomiting after injection and I have heard of people being very sick for the next few days. I have had IV D50 and it does bring your glucose up quickly. Great for those who have an altered mental status. Just my 2 cents worth.

In my experience I haven't seen these side effects to glucagon. I mean, there is the risk but I wouldn't say it's common.

If there is a need for glucagon, then the patient is in dire straits. Glucagon is a BLS medication here mainly for those who don't have Cannulation certification. So if the need is there and there isnt anything else, Glucagon is the only alternative apart from waiting for ILS/ALS back up with an IV and dextrose.

Don't get me wrong, if there is a need for it and it is the only option available, by all means use it. It works and will boost the glucose levels back up above the normal range. I was saying that for a patient with an intact gag reflex and is able to swallow then glucagon might not be the best option (if you have other options available such as glucose gel/tablets, juice, etc. of course).

I was also pointing out one of the more common side effects (by what I have heard from my doctor and fellow diabetics) of glucagon for those who might not have used it or do not have access to it.

Like I said, if needed, definitely use it.

Be safe

AMES

Thanks for the heads up on that though mate, its good to hear from a diabetics point of view, as well hey at the end of the day, I dont have Diabetes, will never understand medication effects like those who do live with it. Thank you mate and hope your health remains at a good level and stay a good strong part of our community of EMTS :)

Scotty

• 1 year later...
i know it can be given through an NG tube if needed......... but dang thats a long about way to give d50

Yeah, I'm not sure which would be more unpleasant: getting an NG tube, or having to swallow 50 nasty cc's of that stuff.

I think I'll stick with the anal.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.