New EMT

I just started a job and was doing the same thing...standing back and waiting to be told what to do instead of jumping in...I was so afraid of getting it wrong it was easier to stand back but the trainer I had found fault in EVERYTHING I did even if I was right he found wrong. One example...if I did a BP he'd write numbers that sounded better to him IOW if I had an even number he made it odd. Even being "gentle" with patients was wrong. Well they put me with a new trainer who corrected what needed correction and complimented what needed complimenting and taught me from my mistakes didn't make me feel badly for making them.

• 1 month later...
My old partner got a new job. This leaves me to fill his old position (ALS instead of BLS-I'll have my I/99 in about a month). In the mean time I have to break in my new partner, who will continue in my old position. She just got her certs about a month ago. I think she's got good potential however she is very passive. If you ask her to do something she'll do it. Otherwise she just stands around. How do I get her to start being more confident and get us working as a team rather than the current situation? I understand it takes time to get used to a new partner especially if you are new to EMS but as it stands right now I need help to speed this process along. ANY suggestions would be appreciated!

Well it has been seven months how about an update as to how she is doing and what worked?

Neb.EMT, I remember getting similar feedback when I did my clinicals.

Apparently, they were used to students jumping in without being asked.

My fear was doing something that didn't need to be done (when I did try to help, like getting a patient some water when he asked, I got in trouble).

BUT if the ER Tech or Nurse had just told me, jump in and do whatever you think needs to be done, I'll be here watching to stop you if you shouldn't do it or doing it wrong, I would have been all over it. I also agree that assigning her as primary to a call would help her a lot. Even during trainings, I'll be much more aggressive when put as primary, because it's like I am now allowed to make my own decisions.

Anthony,

I totally agree with you. My first few months as an EMT were pretty tough. Some folks were good instructors and others had no patience and were even malicious towards newbies. I learned to find a few people I trust and ask them a lot of questions - the most important one being, what do you want me NOT to do? As I am learning more and taking on more responsibility that's the question I go back to - My squad's training officer was delighted with that question...and ran down a list of "Never.."s that i will never forget(!) and I think have helped me avoid some mistakes as well as embarrassment. I also got a new paramedic on my crew that loves to train.. so I am thrilled. Constructive feedback is a good thing.

• 8 months later...

Well, she turned out awesome. I did as you guys said and made every BLS call hers. She became an above average EMT. She's actually starting medic school in about a week. Unfortunately I'm at a different service and don't work with her anymore. Kind of disapointing, we had excellent chemistry. Anyhow, I'd like to give a belated thanks to everybody who gave me advice.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.