Response Bag

thanks jakeemt for giving me usefull info,

i completly agree with what everyone is saying and never said i didnt. i know im not certified right now, and wouldnt think of responding to an accident POV. I AM CPR/BLS certified, and if i stumble upon an accident or something im better than an ordinary citizen, and want to have BVMs, gloves, etc. with me, its just like an ordinary citizen carrying a 1st aid kit, except a little more. we just got a seziure call that was right down the road from my house, im not on call, and i wouldnt know what to do anyway, so i didnt go. im not out to save the world here or anything.

I dont plan on using the bag now, im just trying to get it together for when i do have the training to use everything.

Im on the Blairstown Squad in NJ, and its squad policy that you are a probationary EMT until you have been an EMT for one year. You have to have a CPR/BLS certification in order to ride on calls, which I do and have been on over a dozen in the past month or so. I have seen a few things, things that normally dont happen in my rural area. Im learning by watching right now. grabing stuff, lifting, that kind of thing, im a support member.

Anthony: our policy is that to ride on calls you have to have a CPR/BLS cert. once you get an EMT cert they let you do alot more, but you still are on probation: you cant go directly to calls, and you have to have a nonprobationary emt on the rig with you) this is so that you dont find yourself in a situation where you dont know what to do. I have been told that alot of what you learn in EMT training doesnt really apply in the world.

jake i have an idea of what your saying with the airway devices, but im not 100%, ill learn it soon though. The stuff thats in it is just stuff that my uncle had laying around, he responds to a lot of Rte. 80 calls. we have it passing right through our area. once i get a hold of more supplies and learn how to use them i will put them in.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and a 5 week course? I know in NYC we only have a 120 hour course, but it is broken down over a few classes a week for handful of months so you can absorb the knowledge.

yeah im taking a 5 week course 8-4, 3 days a week for 5 weeks, 120hrs total, 110 hrs required attendence. it works for me beause i dont have school during the summer, and i work on the weekends. so its really the only time i can do it.

Don't forget all the flashing red lights, a big bumper sticker along the line of emts save paramedics. Don't forget the trauma cape and complete kit including the trauma hatchet. See if you can find a cheap set of jaws somewhere, check ebay. Make sure it is a big response bag so if you get a school bus accident you are good to go. Good luck.

there are 4 levels of ems that im aware of.

CFR= Certified First Responder

1 CFR

2 EMT-B

3 EMT-I

4 EMT-P

That is in NYS. There is also an EMT-CC. Other states have different titles.

I don't believe there are 50 plus. I'd agree more with the 4 levels. Granted you can branch into critical care and or other specialties but those are really the only 4 levels of emergency responders. Although as previously mentioned some states use diffrent titles, but I think it still comes out to four levels.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.