Dispatched to 28 y/o M DIB

I dunno about that. I've noticed that those with the least experience seem to use the most pointless abbreviations and codes.

Considering the guys here with the most experience are the ones that use the least abbreviations and codes, it must be pretty easy to avoid that habit.

10-4 :wink:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno about that. I've noticed that those with the least experience seem to use the most pointless abbreviations and codes.

Considering the guys here with the most experience are the ones that use the least abbreviations and codes, it must be pretty easy to avoid that habit.

That's affirmative, roger and wilco.

What unapproved abbreviation? SOA? Around here that replaced SOB. SOA means shortness of air. You had to of known that.

Boy on boy, sounds gay. I don't know how old you are, or do I care, but you sure don't act it. What really push it over the top was on the other posting saying how you don't see EMT-B as part of the team. I assume you never had to work your way up like many of us.

It's called trying to raise the bar (in competence level of providers and lower whacker level), while still keeping your youthful humor during it all.

• 6 months later...

I don't know Dust, last time we were 10-98 from our 10-83 at the 10-75 we got 10-2'd while back to our 89, so we could talk to 513 who had spoken to 5M and 5C. It wasn't a pretty picture.

• 3 months later...

A well built 28 y/o M greats you at the door.

Your general impression is a young adult male who appears to be in a little respiratory distress. Your EMT partner gets you a set of vitals: P: 90 and regular, R: 26 and labored, BP: 108/90, RA SpO2: 90%.

The pt states he has had increasing DIB since he tried to go to bed at about 2300. Since he has gotten up and called 911, the pain seems to have gotten better. He also reports "stabbing" chest pain 4/10 that comes and goes, but has also gotten better in the few minutes before you have arrived. The patient believes the CP started after lunch as a result of the new "hotter than hell" boneless wings at the local bar. Thinking he was suffering from heartburn the pt eat a light dinner; a chef salad. Even still the CP increased throughout the evening and now he has difficulty catching his breath. Throughout this history the patient has to take breaks to breath, before continuing to speak.

My particular treatment as a Basic for this pt would go as follows.

Due to them having Difficulty of Breathing, I would start them on O2 at 15lpm via NRB. As for the Chest pain, I would do the SAMPLE/OPQRST....Following that I would call medical Control for the Ok to give Nitro. I would also get the stretcher and load the pt on it in a position of comfort and transport to the Nearest facility...During transport, I would have the Cardiac monitr being monitored every 3-5 minutes......

Did I Kill the pt? lol

Very nice scenario, learned alot.

Didn't notice the PR depression on the EKG at first, my first thoughts were MI as well. After reading the article provided though, learned something new.

Thanks everyone!

Nope its Dead in Bed. :twisted: Just kidding your probably right.

It is amazing that EMS is so fragmented that it can not even agree on abbreviations and terminology.

Imagine the frustration of the hospital that have many EMS and transport services bringing and taking patients. If there are 15 differents companies, chances are there may be 15 different abbreviations for the same thing like SOB, DOE, DIB, etc.

And then, you will always hear from some EMT or Paramedic, "they never read our charting anyway". No, we don't if we have to call someone from your service or keep 15 different reference charts to to understand whatever made up terminology is being used.

Ever wonder why lawyers enjoy EMS lawsuits especially if they are representing the other party? What's really fun to watch is some Paramedics who have job hopped alot and can not understand what they themselves wrote the year before due to the lack of uniformity in documentation.