911 contracts

Personally, I think that anytime you dial 911 you should get somebody who is municipal based. Sure, the government is generally incompetent, wasteful, and corrupt, but some things they are in a better position to provide for than private companies. Personally, as much as I love capitialism, and I do, trust me , I never thought healthcare and capitalism were a good mix. I mean, if you sell someone the extra Scotchguard on their new car, that's just good business, but if you convince someone to get a surgery they don't need or to take a certain drug because of your advertising abilities, I think that's just really wrong. Private ambulance companies put profit first, patients second, and employees last. No one, except maybe the shareholders or owners, makes out well. The thing about EMS as a municipal service, despite it being far cheaper to run than a police or fire department, is that the benefits to the municipality are not readily apparent. A police force increases commerce and property values, as does a paid fire service which also usually gets homeowners a break on insurance policies. EMS, well, as said before, ambulances are seen as a nuisance, and the community doesn't benefit just because we happen to keep their population from dying untimely deaths. However, in the long run, I do believe that a properly run municipal based EMS service provides the best, most efficient patient care with the best accountability.

"Private ambulance companies put profit first, patients second, and employees last"

This is a blatant lie! Not all companies are like this.

You also state the municipal services are cheaper to run. There is extensive evidence in Europe that proves, private enterprise is cheaper for EMS and also better for the patients.

"Private ambulance companies put profit first, patients second, and employees last"

This is a blatant lie! Not all companies are like this.

I'm not saying that all private companies don't care about their patients and employees, but isn't the whole point of a business (whether ambulance or other) to provide a good or service with the intention of making a profit? I think they even if patients and employees are treated well there will still be divided loyalties between the service that is provided and the profits that need to be made to keep the company running.

No, the purpose of a business isn't to provide a service but to provide a good service. If you provide a poor service no matter how cheap, you business won't last long.

It is in the interests of a business owner to improve the reputation of his business and provide a good service. Customers are more likely to use a business which provides a better service than a cheaper business which provides a poor service.

No, the purpose of a business isn't to provide a service but to provide a good service. If you provide a poor service no matter how cheap, you business won't last long.

What research have you done into qualfying and quantifying the factors that the public (your patients and their families) and the government entities that employ you use to judge whether or not your service is "good?" If you have done any such research, what were the results?

I can assure you that the public and government entities that judge us tend to use different benchmarks of quality service than we use to judge ourselves. Are you prepared to sacrifice your ideals of "good" service to meet their expectations?

nremtp, what business training you have? It's obvious that you have put a lot of thought into this and are an intelligent individual but I am just curious. Feel free to answer by PM if you don't want to post it here or just ignore it since it's none of my business (excuse the pun).

I think it's a great idea what you are wanting to do but it's gonna be hard.

good luck and I would get a good manager with their head on straight to help you run this business.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not have first hand knowledge, however, I do have a friend who manages a private EMS service here in Texas. My friend is 23 and has been managing the business since he was 19 before he was even legal to be an EMT. I know from helping him at the business just some of the hassles he has had to deal with. He only has 6 ambulances, and is constantly having a mechanical issue with at least one of them, working endless hours on the truck and then having to come back to the business and have to deal with paperwork. His typical work week starts at 3 am and if he is lucky gets off around 10-11 p.m., if he doesn't have to do an out of state transport.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.