Jump Kits

tunnelrat83

Bee,

I like your kit. I'm trying to find a EMS fanny pack, do you have any thoughts?

Thanks.

I bought mine at Wal-Mart for under $10. There are a few in the ems supply catalogs, but I couldn't see spending the extra money for the reflective tape.

Thinking out loud, here:

Does anyone who is willing to stop at a roadside incident and use their issued kit or personal kit while off duty, carry any triage tags, if it turns out to be "the big one?"

Thinking out loud, here:

Does anyone who is willing to stop at a roadside incident and use their issued kit or personal kit while off duty, carry any triage tags, if it turns out to be "the big one?"

I carry 25 of them. Personally if it is the "big one", my triage practice consists of:

"If you can walk, go over there" *Points*

Those are your green tags

"If you can crawl, crawl that way" *Points*

Those are your yellow tags

"If you can't crawl or walk, I'll be to you as soon as I can"

Those are your yellow and black tags.

This is known as the Durand Method of Triage, after Airman Durand, the Air Force EMT who first introduced me to this way of thinking. :lol:

I bought mine at Wal-Mart for under $10. There are a few in the ems supply catalogs, but I couldn't see spending the extra money for the reflective tape.

Bee,

I just went out to Wal-Mart and bought one...$4.74..Can't beat that. I'm going to stock it tonight!

In my kit I Carry 10 DOT trauma tags, a packet of assessment stickers {basically the shaded spots on NARSIS forms ie... injury loc., vitals, name, treatments given, and a small narrative} and 4 large colored markers for classification. I was first on the scene {passerby/witness} when a school bus ran off a bridge this method seemed to work quite well. The medics and hospital staff liked them too it was allot easier than just the plain tags plus when it comes time for the paper work all the info is right there you don't have to strain to remember or play the matching numbers game. I think someone offers something similar now. The best part is you can stick it to your leg when you are writing on it then just stick it to the PT so you don't have to fumble with a clip board when the s**ts in the fan. :idea:

I always seem to be sitting at the intersection in my truck when two people slam into each other, so now I keep a small jump bag in my truck. Nothing fancy, just local phone #'s, a first aid/trauma kit, basic airways, CPR mouth-to-mouth gaurds, shears, infection control, stethoscope, BP cuff, penlight, surefire (LOVE that flashlight! I call it "The Daybringer." Roosters crow when they see that sucker.), small splints, tape, work gloves, knife... that's about it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.