Jump Kits

tunnelrat83

No, not at all. It's just being well prepared. Remember some of the places where my family lives is 25 minutes from even non-transport BLS and over an hour from an ambulance. I'm also a colossal sh-t magnet when it comes to trauma so I have this desire to not be caught off guard.

Oh, and I was told by a friend of mine who works for the state that if I put the right insurance on my vehicle, a Combitube, a suction unit (the two turkey basters I carry now apparently don't meet the standards set forth by the state), an AED, a few other items (traction splint, backboards, KED, etc) and find myself a medical director I can switch my blue lights for red ones because I will have met all the requirements of a Basic EMT level non-transport unit. No, this is not excessive at all.

I recently gave all my supplies to a local fire company that wanted to start a first responder team.

Now all I keep is a Johnson & Johnson "Emergency Care For Accident Victims" case that I've had for 40 years. I will replace all the supplies of course, but I never opened the box till last week. So everything should be pretty well preserved. That's what happens when you never clean the attic.

Get real, people! The whole idea of a jump kit is not to be able to treat an entire MCI, but to hold you until duty units arrive. Jump kits should be small and lite - some of yours must take three men and a boy to carry. Why not focus on the items you need to deal with life threats and leave it at that?? Airway - OPA kit, pocket mask, D tank with 1 NRB and 1 tubing (for the pocket mask). Breathing - asherman chest seal, items listed in airway. Circulation - dressings, kling wrap, triangulars, tape. Stethoscope, BP cuff, penlite, shears, forceps. You can add a sam splint set for frac mgt (takes up very little room), and an oral glucose. Treat the life threats and everything else can wait until the bus arrives. Keep it simple, lightweight, and portable.

My pack is set up like a SAR medical bag (it's actually in a Kelty hiking pack) so it's very manageable (whole thing might weigh 8 lbs). I don't carry everything in it either, only the stuff I need ASAP. Everything else is in another bag and box (with my turnout gear) in my truck should I need it. The O2 tank (when I have them) are in their own sleeve.

Like I said, the "duty units" are an average of 20-25 minutes away (and that's volunteers- no guarantee you're going to get anyone (from my department by the way)) especially during the day time and the ambulance takes an hour to arrive if things are going well. Don't have much choice then do I? I'm treating my patient's in accordance with my department's protocols until backup arrives. Pure and simple.

Seems that we pretty much agree, Rid. Simple and effective. I was curious - does it also seem to you that the amount of crap in a provider's jump bag is inversely proportional to said provider's level of experience and/or comfort? I'm getting too old to drag the whole ambulance around on my shoulders and I've learned along the way to do more with less.

Yeah, Budha .. that is why I am glad to see the Squad there to carry things ...LOL. I do believe, we are teaching new medics to fixate, & try to treat & cure before a real good assessment. After years of experience, most of us old-timers realize that there is not much you really need to stabilize a patient, until you can get them in your rig. Way too much stuff crammed in a kit, then it is too hard to find the appropriate equipment without loosing or cleaning out the bag. A pack should just include what you really need for the first few minutes to stabilize the patient. (unless you are SAR)

My feeling is if you have to grunt.. when you pick it up.. there is to much stuff...

Be safe,

Ridryder 911

In my personal pack I keep:

Ears

BP cuff

pen light

4x4's

tape

Pocket mask

Pen

gloves

I keep all this in a fanny pack. While I'm taking vitals my partner or FF will bring in the O2 and whatever else I need from the rig.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.