1 Waterproof Tape (1")

1 Elastic Bandage (3")

1 Elastic Bandage (4")

2 Triangular Bandages

4 Eye Pads

1 Petroleum Gauze (3" x 9")

2 Kerlix (4-1/2") Equipment & Supplies:

1 Modular Trauma Bag

1 Instrument Pack (shears, Kelly forceps, bandage scissors, splinter forceps, penlight)

1 BP/Stethoscope Kit

1 SAM Splint

1 Ace Collar

1 Obstetrical Kit

1 Personal Protection Kit

1 Ipecac Syrup

1 Charcoal

1 Ammonia Inhalant

1 Insta-Glucose

10 Alcohol Prep Pads

1 Antibiotic Ointment

1 Bee Sting Kit

2 Cold Packs (5" x 9")

1 Eye Wash

10 PVP Iodine

1 Space Blanket

1 Sterile Water (500 ml)

1 No Rinse Gel (4 oz)

5 Pair Nitrile Gloves

I have a pacific A500 (well, i will in a week or so, i have a simular bag until then) with the following(from the top of my head):

adult BVM

4X4s

kling

bandaids

antibiotic ointment

hydrocortisone cream

eye drops

military field trauma dressings(got a box of 50 off of ebay for DIRT cheap)

abd pads

tape

oral glucose

glucometer (with strips and lancets of course)

oral & nasal airways

sharps container (labeled coke bottle)

APAP, ibuprofen, benadryl, tums

ACE bandages

SAM splint

OB kit

large trauma dressing

light sticks

flash light

pen light

trauma shears

bandage shears

forceps

scalpel handle and 10 blades

ice packs

bottles of drinking water

iodone solution

alcohol preps

iodine preps

BZK preps

emergency blanket

lots of gloves (latex & non)

i dont think im forgetting anything.

[soapbox]

Ive read all the comments about carrying soooo much and why would you do it with liability and all that. I'd like to say that I thought about all that and really looked into what i would need and where/when i would use it. i put together my kit for mainly my own use and for use on friends and family(i travel and camp alot and someone always gets hurt). I would use my kit on an MVC that i rolled up on in my POV but i wouldnt do much more than hold C-spine and bandage a few wounds.

For those of you who are wanting to make a jump kit or arent happy with yours, or already have one, i suggest reading this article:

http://www.avweb.com/news/aeromed/181890-1.html

and another thing, i despise the "pre-built" bags, the ones that you buy off the shelf with the contents in them. Thats dumb, most all come with things that you dont need and without things you WOULD need. The best thing is to check out e-bay for a bag and buy supplies from ebay or http://www.buyemp.com EMP has some nice and inexpensive bags by their own company, L.A. Rescue.

[/soapbox]

[edit]

well i forgot a cpl things.

field surgical kit (has suture removal shears, all kinds of forceps and more shears)

ammonia inhalents

burn dressings

[/edit]

Well...I finally went though my jump kit.

Here's what I found:

All items are packaged into a red oxygen trauma bag,

Front Compartment:

1 Sharps container 1.4 quarts

1 Bottle of hydrogen peroxide

1 Bottle of povidone iodine 10%

1 Bulb syringe

1 Metal emesis basin

Side compartment #1:

2 Rolls of 3"clear surgical tape

2 Rolls of 2"athletic tape

2 Rolls of 2"paper surgical tape

2 Rolls of 1"cloth tape.

1 Roll of 1/2"Dermicel cloth tape

2 Rolls of 1/2"paper tape with spools

1 Roll of 1"Transpore clear surgical tape

3 3" x 8"non-adherent dressings

2 8" x 10"combine dressings

3 packs of Steri-strips ¼"x 4"ÂÂ

1 pack of Steri-strips ¼"x 1½"ÂÂ

1 Tegaderm dressing

2 Bloodstoppers

3 Triangular bandages

1 Coban wrap

2 6"rolls of sterile conforming gauze bandage

2 4"rolls of sterile conforming gauze bandage

10 2"rolls of non-sterile kling

3 4"rolls of sterile kling

2 2"rolls of sterile kling

Side compartment #2:

13 5"x9"ABD pads

9 4"x4"sterile gauze sponges

137 4"x4"sterile gauze pads

20 2"x3"sterile gauze pads

4 Large rolls of kling

1 3"x9"petrolatum gauze bandage

Inside Compartment:

1 Box of Safeskin latex gloves

1 Adult blood pressure cuff

1 Oral airway kit containing 6 oral airways

2 Pairs of high risk nitrile gloves

1 Bottle of alcohol hand gel

2 Bio-hazard bags

1 MDI micromask with gloves

3 Latex tourniquets

2 10"x30"trauma dressings

1 Arm sling

1 Sam splint

1 Adult BVM

2 Hot compresses

1 Pair of safety glasses

3 Cold compresses

12 Ammonia inhalants

1 Tube of glucose

1 Rescue blanket

1 Ring cutter

1 Bandage scissors

1 Tweezers

1 Bite stick

1 Arm splint

1 3M Littmann Select stethoscope

I'll be sure to post the odds and ends I have left!

I set up my jumpbag after I received my first responder certification (with the usual BLS stuff 4X4s, Kling, etc). I pulled it out of my trunk the other day to use it and realized that I haven't used it in a long time. I found saline and water that expired in 1993. The 4X4s crumbled when I tried to fold them. I was getting some stuff out for my son who tried to catch a baseball with his teeth. He just looked at me like I was crazy.

I set up my jumpbag after I received my first responder certification (with the usual BLS stuff 4X4s, Kling, etc). I pulled it out of my trunk the other day to use it and realized that I haven't used it in a long time. I found saline and water that expired in 1993. The 4X4s crumbled when I tried to fold them. I was getting some stuff out for my son who tried to catch a baseball with his teeth. He just looked at me like I was crazy.

lol, thats why ya keep it with you & use it or at leats go through it often. thats also why i keep all my OTC meds in there, so im always in there and so i have them with me.

Following ReD's lead, if you have to ask yourself when was the last time you used the kit, it's time to check out what you have in the kit, and update/replace anything expired, missing, or in bad condition.

I posted this in the main discussion form to with regard to ReD's jumpkit...

Let me preface this by saying we don't use, nor have I ever seen a "first responder" on the scene of a 911 call...

All stuff seems excessive. You have like 8 million pairs of scissors, and a whole load of other crap....

My understanding is that as a first responder you are there to on the most basic level stabilize the ACBC. I don't know how long you are on scene for with calls that actually require critical intervention before EMS but still...

Are you allowed to give those drugs as a first responder? Hydrogen peroxide? Iodine? Glucometer (as a first responder seems unnecessary) AMMONIA INHALANTS?

I do not give any of those drugs on the street PO (save for asa). We are allowed to give some of those during mass special events, but they are under standing orders. Examples can be found athttp://www.thebasehospital.com/special%20events.htm . That is not my basehospital and I believe there are several more that are available but it follows roughly the same guideline. Do you have similar, or just ask allergy and give it?

None of those things will be of immediate benefit to the patient, (and actually may be of detriment) which is why you are there.

If I ever had worked as a first responder in the system I believe that AT MAXIMUM the largest thing I would carry would be this http://www.statpacks.com/2005/platinum2.htm

Some standard BLS trauma stuff (no splints, just be taken off anyway), maybe an asherman or abdo pad.

A - one of each NPA/OPA, bulb suction, maybe a V-Vac (do you guys have those in the states? :D They suck but in a pinch with no mech suction they're ok)

B - BVM with adult/ped masks

C - BP cuff maybe if room. Clinical picture, orthostatic changes, and pulse points in that role are good enough.

And that is it. Certainly no drugs, no 18 scissors, no hand warmers, just the essential to grossly stabilize your pt until definitive prehospital care arrives.

I just signed up with a call force and because of where I live (10 minutes from station) they are allowing me to respond directly to the scene if I think I can make it there faster and wait for the ambulance. This allows the ambulance to roll with one EMT so it ultimately improves response time. In light of this, I have revised the contents to nearly comply with MA OEMS requirements for the first aid kit which shall be carried on the ambulance. They are as follows:

a) Three (3) wrapped oropharyngeal airways, one (1) each, infant, child and adult sizes;

(B) Twelve (12) small dressings (sterile gauze pads, minimum size 4â€x4â€);

© Four (4) medium dressings, sterile, minimum size 5" x 9";

(d) Two (2) large dressings (sterile universal dressings, minimum size 10â€x 3 0â€)

(e) Six (6) rolls soft roller, self-adhering bandage, minimum 4" x 5 yrds;

(f) Four (4) cravats or triangular bandages, minimum 40" wide;

(g) Two (2) arterial tourniquets for control of arterial bleeding, commercial or equivalent;

(h) Two rolls 2" adhesive tape, minimum 5 yards;

(I) One (1) 7" bandage scissors or equivalent;

(j) One (1) adult size sphygmomanometer;

(k) One (1) stethoscope;

(l) One (1) penlight-type flashlight;

(m) One (1) unbreakable container of sterile water or saline solution, minimum one pint (500 cc);

(n) One (1) wrapped 3 ounce bulb syringe for irrigation purposes;

(o) Two (2) cold packs;

(p) One (1) tube glucose based paste or equivalent;

(q) Two (2) wrapped tongue depressors for glucose administration;

® Six (6) band-aids, minimum 3/4";

(s) One (1) mouth-to-mouth resuscitator mask with one way valve and an oxygen port (disposable type recommended);

(t) Two (2) combination face mask/eye shield or two (2) each facemask and protective eye wear;

(u) Two (2) pair disposable exam type gloves.

http://www.mass.gov/dph/oems/ambulance/bls_supply_list.doc

I don't carry the tourniquets, ice packs, or the sterile water, and in addition, I have NPAs and lightsticks for trail marking. This all fits in a bag 15*9*7 in.

If I am responding in my POV, it is as an EMT-B since I would be the other half of the responding crew...and this is the only reason why I have Basic level items, e.g. airway adjuncts and glucose. If I were to roll up on an accident on my own time, I would utilize nothing but FR items unless absolutely necessary.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.