My 4x4 ambulance

As requested, here are a crapload more pictures.

No, I can't stand up fully in the back of the truck to answer your question.

The big 'crater' is the ditch on the side of the road. Just wanted to have the truck out by the sign for the base. And I think the truck could probably traverse it I just didn't want to risk it and get stuck.

IMG_0139Resize.jpg

IMG_0143Resize.jpg

IMG_0145Resize.jpg

IMG_0146Resize.jpg

IMG_0147Resize.jpg

IMG_0148Resize.jpg

IMG_0149Resize.jpg

IMG_0150Resize.jpg

IMG_0151Resize.jpg

IMG_0152Resize.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those types of stretchers you American use, how do you get it in the truck? Do you manually lift the legs or something?
Yes Timmy, that's exactly what happens. There is a handle at the foot end of the stretcher which when pulled, will release the wheels. Your partner will then grab the wheels and collapse them. Conversely, when unloading the stretcher, one would pull the lever again and the wheels will extend. I used to work for a service that had a power stretcher or two. Pretty slick, but heavy as hell.

Do you guys not have easy loaders?

Also, it seems that the shackles anchoring the stretcher to the floor of the ambulance are not designed to withstand an MVA, at least from what i can see.

Yes Timmy, that's exactly what happens. There is a handle at the foot end of the stretcher which when pulled, will release the wheels. Your partner will then grab the wheels and collapse them. Conversely, when unloading the stretcher, one would pull the lever again and the wheels will extend. I used to work for a service that had a power stretcher or two. Pretty slick, but heavy as hell.

Does it not hurt your back? What happens if your only one up?

does the stretcher secure to the floor of the ambulance?

That is the standard cot mount for most ambos in North America. The Y shaped yoke on the floor, up by the Captain's seat, cradles the front wheels of the stretcher, while the c-clamp on the rail along the wall clamps on the rear wheel area. As for how "secure" it is, meh... I wouldn't bet my life on it. The one first hand experience I can relate is from my own accident. We had the same mounting system. We broadsided another vehicle at approximately 60 mph and came to a very abrupt stop. My patient was lying on the cot with the head elevated at about 45 degrees. The mounting yoke held okay, and the cot remained in place. However, the tubular bar that holds the head of the cot elevated was snapped in two from the force of the patient's weight moving forward after impact. When I regained consciousness, the patient was supine instead of sitting up, as he had been before impact. From head to shoulders, he was in the Captains chair. His upper torso was suspended between the chair and the head of the cot, and the rest of his body was still lying on the cot. Had he been lying supine when we hit, he probably would have gone head-first into the captains chair, full force, and broken his neck (like I did). But he also would have been better off if that cot bar hadn't broken too! Anyhow, that floor mount yoke is only held down by a couple of really thick steel bolts to the floor. I dunno how much force they will take, but apparently a good bit. Now, if it had been a side impact or rollover, it could have been a very different story.

Yeah, that patient compartment is pretty cramped. The choice to stick the backboards inside takes up prime interior real estate. Consequently you end up with really deep cabinets that aren't necessary and just waste space. Definitely a poorly planned interior layout.

Plus 5 for buying anything but Motorola radios! :thumbright:

Who can you communicate with on each of them, and what bands do they utilise?

How often do you find you need the 4wd? Are all of your ambos 4wd?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.