Does BLS call for ALS intercept when not needed....

jon_ems_boi

JUst a question for all here....

I work for a very rural BLS service, we have no hsptl in our county, and the nearest hsptl is apx 25-35 minutes aways. If pt is in need of als care we can call the hsptl for an intercept with medic, wich i am sure is a normal thing for BLS. But here is the question. Are medics call to much in cases where they are not needed? I have found that there are cases that EMT-B's call for medics just because they are not confident in there own skill level. What is it like where you are if you work for a BLS service?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In vol. agencys, you see it way to much. I've heard our paid crew however, cancel ALS many times, and they are good about doing that. The problem is that with volunteer agencys, they don't do EMS on a daily basis. It's a community service they provide, and a lot of new EMT's call the medics too much. I've been on calls were we didn't need medics, but had them anyway, and then I've been on calls, where we're about to cancel medics, but the're in the driveway. The medics check the patient out, and realize he's actually having a heart attack. There should definitly be some kind of CEU class for the EMT-B, called "When ALS is needed, and when it isn't." I think a lot of times when EMT's call medics, they are doubting their skills. I'm in a place where a hospital is a 15 minute ride.

I work with an ALS service that routinely has intercepts with a BLS service in the neighbouring county. I have found for the most part, ALS has been required when they call us. Usually, it is a 15 to 20 min transport from the time of intercept. The BLS crews have been correct for calling us to provide a higher level of pt. care the majority of the time. There has been, on occasion, times when they just could have carried on to the hospital on their own. I feel they call us out of concern, and really not due to lack of confidence.

I'm with Jake.

It has been a very long time since I was in a system where "intercepts" were even heard of. But when in those systems, it never seemed to happen much. And when it did, it was because the Basic or Intermediate was genuinely concerned that something beyond their scope might be going on. That wasn't always the case, but they did have reason for concern. And this is exactly why medics need to be on every ambulance. It takes a medic to determine if a patient needs a medic!

But no, I never experienced abuse of the intercept system. Although, there does seem to be a lot of reverse abuse, where firemonkeys in places like Los Angeles and Seattle dump everything that doesn't excite them on the private providers, many times inappropriately.

I've been on calls, where we're about to cancel medics, but the're in the driveway. The medics check the patient out, and realize he's actually having a heart attack.

:|

And this is exactly why medics need to be on every ambulance. It takes a medic to determine if a patient needs a medic!

+5........ =D> :|

I've been on calls, where we're about to cancel medics, but the're in the driveway. The medics check the patient out, and realize he's actually having a heart attack........It's a community service they provide

:shock: :shock: WTF :shock: :shock:

Doesn't sound like much of a service to me :scratch:

and then I've been on calls, where we're about to cancel medics, but the're in the driveway. The medics check the patient out, and realize he's actually having a heart attack.
:shock: Exactly why, as Dustdevil stated, medic's should be on every ambulance. If the ALS ambulance hadn't been on scene you would have cancelled them and your pt. would have possibly coded on you. Nice assessment there.

I'm not knocking you specifically, it's just that BLS doesn't have the equipment or education to deal with sick pt's such as the one you stated.

I work at a private service full-time but I also volunteer with the local county services. I agree with everyone else that inexperience is the main cause of unneccesary medic intercepts. Most of the people on the volunteer service do it more as a hobby than a job. So anytime they get something even remotely exciting they are screaming for a medic even though it is a BLS run. I would say that the majority of the time that we get daul dispatched with a medic, if I am on the BLS crew, I will cancel the medic. But obviously if I feel that it is out of my scope then I will intercept. I know my limitaions as a Basic.

We are are dual certified ambulance BLS/MICU depending on the staffing ambulance may be bls or mobile intensive care unit. If running as a bls unit they are stuck with patient no matter how bad off at least 30 minutes as nearest mutual aid is 60 minutes out, if unavailable they have to go the whole 90 miles alone. No complaints have been made about the calls for a paramedic when the bls requests help, but they don't call for help often.

My reason for this post was to draw attention that a lot of bls providers need to train there crews to asses pt's better.... and i can not agree that it takes a medic to decide if a medic is needed i know when i have a pt with non life-threatening complaints i do not need a medic i do not need a "Paragod" or "water walker" as we would call your kind.. to tell me just because i am an emt-b that i can not do my job with out your supervision...... you forget that you started at the same place as the rest of us bls people...... all i have to say is there are some medics not all i must add that just need to get over them selves

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.