Being gay in EMS

Better yet, just be a professional and leave your personal life at home. Don't use your professional life to push an agenda. EMS is not a pulpit for you to preach societal change. Come to work, do your job, then go home and take it up whichever orifice you choose. But leave your co-workers and your patients out of it, gay, straight, or otherwise.

Bwaahahaha....i cant believe i missed that line! :laughing6: :laughing3: :|:lol: 8)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the topic of traffic problems and gay rights marches:

"'We're here and we're queer!' Yeah, well I'm straight and I'm late! Get the hell out of the way!" - Larry the Cable Guy.

If you're gay, fine. If you're straight, fine. If you're a queen, you'll piss me off. If at some point during a call it becomes crucial to know your sexual orientation, I'll ask you. Until then, don't care. When I was a kid, being a fag was a sign of weakness or an outcast. If that is not the case, then prove it. Don't use your sexuality as a crutch, excuse, or defense. It's like the term "hate crime." Nobody beats the crap out of somebody because they thought "Well, he's generally a decent guy." For some people being the victim is not enough.

• 9 years later...

In my station I'm the only gay man there. Everyone knows, and I know it makes some providers uncomfortable, but they've never outright done anything to me. There's always a rumormill going about, and I often come up in it, but it's just what happens when you're in a small town and you're the only gay emt in the district. My line officer frequently mentions and talks behind my back to other providers, but it's whatever. I'm a solid provider, and he's never outright disrespectful. When I'm on duty, we talk, make jokes, he is just old fashioned. My partner (at work) is cool with it, and he routinely helps me out with any problems I have at home, he's been user for dinner several times. It depends on the squad, I guess. 

16 hours ago, billdob1 said:

In my station I'm the only gay man there. Everyone knows, and I know it makes some providers uncomfortable, but they've never outright done anything to me. There's always a rumormill going about, and I often come up in it, but it's just what happens when you're in a small town and you're the only gay emt in the district. My line officer frequently mentions and talks behind my back to other providers, but it's whatever. I'm a solid provider, and he's never outright disrespectful. When I'm on duty, we talk, make jokes, he is just old fashioned. My partner (at work) is cool with it, and he routinely helps me out with any problems I have at home, he's been user for dinner several times. It depends on the squad, I guess. 

Your line officer talks behind  your back and frequently mentions you.  You realize that's a hostile work environment issue there and should NOT be tolerated.   It's not the good old boy network anymore, it's about being professional and your line officer is being unprofessional.  But it's up to you how you want to deal with things in your station but I for one would not tolerate it.  

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.