EMT-B Pay Scale

I live in California, and I recently got my NREMT, and I have a 2 yr degree in Computer Office. My question is... What is the ave. pay scale for an EMT-B? I am confused. I used to work as a Secretary and it seems I could make more. I want to work in this field to help people but what I am finding now is the pay seems really low. Is this true? I love to help people, and money is not what I am after. At the same time I need to be able to live.

Thanks

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where abouts in California are you looking at? Starting pay in the OC/LA area ranges anywhere from 7.25 (state set minimum wage) to 11-12 an hour depending on the company and schedule.

In west Texas where cost of living is low compared to most many services start basics around $10 hour, up till 4 years ago probably wasn't even the minimum. All levels in several services worked to get pay above fast food and we're working to go higher for all levels at both services I work with.

I live between the Bay Area, and the Central Valley. The pay range doesn't match the cost of living for the area. I thought EMS would make a little more then fast food. After all EMS workers are very important. Do most companies offer shift differental? It seems by peoples postings the pay may be getting better. Is that true?

Sorry I can't help with California figures, but my info may still help to formulate a national average. Also, Info such as this can be obtained from JEMS a popular EMS publication. In Maine, for the hospital based service I work for, Basics make $7.04 an hour, while only several towns away the EMT basics at a munipal based service make $9.23 an hour. The first thing you should know about EMS wages, is that there are variables. While the $9.23 an hour sounds better, our hospital based basics working for $7.04 an hour take home more. Most of the seasoned EMT's and Medics will support my explanation as to why.

The Municipal service only offers 12's at 36 hours a week. The hospital based service Offers 24 hour shift schedules which puts an employee at 16 hours of overtime per pay period right off the start. Not to mention, (due to high call volume, and control over all of the interfacility and local transfers) over time is given away like water. The trade off of course is less time at home, but the option for a good take home check is there. Whether you take that option is up to you. There are pros and there are cons. You, unfortunately; have to choose your battles.

If you really want to pursue a career in EMS and earn a modest but decent living, you should consider becoming a paramedic.

Hope this helps

Matt

I live in California, and I recently got my NREMT, and I have a 2 yr degree in Computer Office. My question is... What is the ave. pay scale for an EMT-B? I am confused. I used to work as a Secretary and it seems I could make more. I want to work in this field to help people but what I am finding now is the pay seems really low. Is this true? I love to help people, and money is not what I am after. At the same time I need to be able to live.

Did you really not even bother to ask this question before you took the class? :?

Did you go to college without first finding out what a computer office professional makes for a living too? I bet not.

But seriously, what were you expecting? Were you expecting somebody with a 3 week first aid class (which is all EMT school boils down to) to command the same salary you get with your degree?

If you are serious about helping people as a profession, have you considered just going straight to paramedic or nursing school? They actually help people AND make a living, in most cases. If you were willing to invest in two years of education to be a secretary, I would expect that you are at least as committed to being a professional medical provider, and not just looking for a quick way in.

I wish you good luck, but there are many MUCH better ways to help people than by being an ambulance driver. And most of them actually pay you a living wage.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.