Tricks of the Trade

Dust, take a look at what kills Firefighters. MIs, Strokes, heat related illnesses. Those are the big killers! When I am fighting a fire, and come out, I fully expect to have my vitals taken, and monitored. I plan on staying a Firefighter for many years.

Here is another factoid for ya, free of charge;

Firefighting is considered an "ultra-dangerous occoupation" I quote that from OSHA, NFPA, and whatever other names are out there. Going into a burning building, with 60+ lbs of gear, makes for a more likely heart attack then a buncha mormons congregating.

In all actuality, its not the rare fire with 60lbs of gear that kills the FF, its the lifestyle that they live and lead prior to the incident. You can not be a couch potato and go from 0-60 to something as strenuous as firefighting without suffering some repurcussions. If they actually focused on lifestyle and cardio, more so than slinging weights which is important but not the sole choice exercise, they would have better survival rates. If you review the statistics, the majority of MIs on scene are from volunteer departments. The only thing I can surmize is that these are your average joes that are not that physically fit and do not get much exsercise or excitement. So when the tones drop and they kick in overdrive, the stress of adrenalin and not being in shape just takes its toll.

The best place to be as an ambo on scene is in your unit, listening to the radio. You should keep all your equipment safe and sound and stowed away in its regular place. This way they know where to find you and all your tools are where they should be. What happens when a victim is brought out on the backside of the bdlg and carried to your unit when you and your partner are staged far away. You have done no benefit to anyone.

Fireguard, this scenario applies to a single role service. You came from a dual role service where the ambualnce crew could be used as first in on a working fire as almost everyone there in Brevard County is dual certified. So in that type of service, I expect no less from a FF/Medic than them to be at the sidelines, drooling to be sent in to the game or doing other fireground duties while awaiting any injuries. Quite frankly, in a dual service, I would do the same. I would be walking around looking for duties that are essential but not so important that I could not walk away if a patient appeared. I would consider it rude to my brothers to be sitting in the truck while work is being done and actually that is not allowed.

But as a single role service, I would be sitting in the truck as far away as they let me. that way there is no chance of me being blocked in by responding units or driving over hoses, etc.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So in that type of service, I expect no less from a FF/Medic than them to be at the sidelines, drooling to be sent in to the game or doing other fireground duties while awaiting any injuries.

Which is why I have a problem with dual service. Either your a Medic or a firefighter, too many dual roles I know want to be FF's not Medics. You know these idiots, the ones that wear their turnouts when they respond to a CP.

Peace,

Marty

Yes, I'm going to agree with akroeze and Dust on this one.

Park where they want you to and be ready to respond (in the exact same way you would be when you're parked on a street corner for coverage). I honestly don't think I've ever been 'cleared' from a fire-standby because dispatch will pull us off it for a real call, not leave us there for a potential one.

Jacob

Yes, I'm going to agree with akroeze and Dust on this one.

Park where they want you to and be ready to respond (in the exact same way you would be when you're parked on a street corner for coverage). I honestly don't think I've ever been 'cleared' from a fire-standby because dispatch will pull us off it for a real call, not leave us there for a potential one.

Jacob

Jacob makes a great point, if you have everything pulled out of your truck and then the (far more likely) real call comes in then you are having to put it all back in the truck before you can respond.

Alex

Jacob makes a great point, if you have everything pulled out of your truck and then the (far more likely) real call comes in then you are having to put it all back in the truck before you can respond.

Alex

I don't know what everyones policy is as far as standbys, but where I am, we are dispatched for a fire standby, we are under the command of the FD. We don't leave unless released by them. If a call is received, then another truck, or mutual aid takes the call.

And if you read what I had posted, I only pull all the gear for Structure Fires.

And if you read what I had posted, I only pull all the gear for Structure Fires.

As opposed to what, car fires? Do you really get dispatched to car fires? :?

Your anecdote about the guy collapsing at the fire is about as worthless as those stories we hear about how you should never wear seatbelts because you "might" be trapped underwater. There was just as much chance that somebody would have gone down on the opposite side of the incident as for him to go down in front of you. Dumb luck doesn't make for good statistical science.

Your anecdote about the guy collapsing at the fire is about as worthless as those stories we hear about how you should never wear seatbelts because you "might" be trapped underwater. There was just as much chance that somebody would have gone down on the opposite side of the incident as for him to go down in front of you. Dumb luck doesn't make for good statistical science.

Or I knew a guy that burned to death because he could not get out of the seatbelt so I don't wear one. To fireguard not sure as to your system but it would seem more appropriate to set up triage center at the ambulance. If your not in bunker gear and scba you should not be that close to the fire and smoke otherwise you could become like the blue canarys(law enforcement that rush in no training no gear for those that don't know) and be of little help to anyone. Most fire services I've seen and heard of require enough additional fire members in gear on the outside to go get any firefighter that goes down then they carry them out to you in order to make sure everyone goes home. Another reason ambulance is further away is so you can head to the hospital with your injured or sick fire brothers.

The company I work(ed) for has the contract for EMS in the same city I am a FF for. And yes, EMS is dispatched for car fires, woods fires, Activated Fire Alarms, smell of smoke, CO Alarms, etc.

When you do a standby for PD, or SWAT, do you have your gear ready to go, or do you sit in your truck with thumb up @ss?

Like I said, the only time I get my gear out and ready is when the dept is going interior on a structure fire. Don't like that? Tough. My Brothers safety comes right after mine and my partners.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.