Cost of your EMT/Medic Class

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me to get my EMT-B at the community college here it's cost me:

Tuition- $598 for 7 semester hours (including clinicals & CPR)

Books- $65 (thank god for Amazon.com....highly recommend it! found all the current required texts at almost half off what the college bookstore was gonna cost me)

And all of the above is being paid for using my GI Bill from my time spent in the Army :) 8) :D

my emt-b class was 360 plus an 80 dollar book and my P class was fffrrreeeee because the company I worked for owned the academy. My husband's emt-b class was about 1000 bucks plus a 100 dollar book and a class uniform and a cpr card. But, he got ripped off...I think.

EMT-b classes here in Grays harbor are free, however, there is a stipulation. You must be sponsored by an ems agency here on the harbor and you must pass the class. If you fail or get kicked out your department foots a $1200 bill. EMT-I class same thing

My basic class was suppose to be 800 or so, but it ended up being free because they never cashed the check. Plus then I took a job with them and got $1,000 sign on for going through their academy, so that worked well. Medic school cost about 7,000 for tuition through a college plus the cost of books, uniforms, travel to school and clinicals. But it will be worth it when I pass the test.

EMT-A---- $40. + $20. for books = $60. cost was underwritten by NYS because i was a volunteer.

Field Medical Service School (Combat Corpsman) Free, plus they paid me to attend. LOL (gotta love that)

EMT-CC school FREE, plus books FREE... (same reason as EMT-A)

EMT-P school FREE thru my job., plus they paid me to go full time for eight months. (gotta love that)

NREMT-P ,,, $75. to take the challenge written and practical test.

So, I feel pretty lucky in the scheme of things considering what some of you paid for your classes.

Medic class was about $4000 for the full year at an accredited community college including books and all certs (ACLS, PALS, PHTLS). Didnt include Nat'l Reg fees.

Accredited by whom for what?

In 2003, my EMT-B was $1600 dollars, including room and half board, it included the Brady book and a wilderness EMT certification, but I had to pay additional testing fees (Washington state (or was that free?) and NREMT).

I had to travel from Iceland and take 6 weeks off work, so yes, that part was expensive (around $1100 for the flight).

I thought that was expensive until I went to medical school (which I also relocated for)... :)

PS: Wouldn't it be better if the spell checker at this site recognized "EMT-B" and "NREMT"?

Total cost of my education?

I started at about 13,000 a year for tuition, room, and board. Now its more like 17,000 thanks to the incredible increase in education over the past four years. Add about 5,000 a year to that for cost of living in this horrendously expensive area. Plus add the odd expenses of being a paramedic student. Gas, registry fees, equipment, and uniforms...another grand or two.

Total when its all said in done...about 85,000 US Dollars. Thank GOD for scholarships, grants, and tuition reimbursement. Oh and Federal and Private loans.