POV LED lights

ReD

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think its funny how all of you assume you know what my purpose for wanting lights is, and why i would need them.

Okay ReD, why not just put the issue to rest... are they for a rig, your POV or do you have something more sinister in mind? :wink:

...what other reason couild you possibly have for want lights on your POV?

i am a firefighter here in a small town, and we are asked, if possible, to respond to calls on our days off. POVs are NOT allowed on scenes, we respond to the station. It's not in writing, but its pretty much required to have lights on POV to respond to the station for calls, no sirens, just lights.

Also, im not looking to light my truck up like an ambulance, just a light for my winshield. Ive been looking at the GALLS LED light that velcros to your visor. i want something non permanent and not easily detectable when it's not on. only thing about the flip down visor light is the reflection of the lights at night. i like the light bars that go inside the vehicle at the top of the winshield that are almost undetectable, but the $500 price tag is a bit much. om looking to spend $100 at most, but i want the most bang for my buck. thus, looking for the most inexpensive LED company, which brings me here, explaining why i need the lights and what i do for a living, and how far away from the station i live.

ReD, sometimes you can find a good deal on eBay. This site has decent prices for new stuff. http://www.strobesnmore.com/

I have corner stobes (front and rear) and a Whelen Talon dual LED dash light on my truck. At times, I respond directly to a scene. This light package is especially helpful when I use the truck to block traffic. Rarely do I use my lights. The fire department is less than a mile from my house.

Shayne

I don't know why any service would "require" their membership to have lights on their POV's, especially since they're commonly courtesy lights (like here in Connecticut) and doesn't allow anyone to operate as an emergency vehicle or to disregard any traffic laws. It seems like increased liability for zero gain to me. But if it's what makes them happy...good luck in your search.

Shane

NREMT-P

I don't know why any service would "require" their membership to have lights on their POV's, especially since they're commonly courtesy lights (like here in Connecticut) and doesn't allow anyone to operate as an emergency vehicle or to disregard any traffic laws. It seems like increased liability for zero gain to me. But if it's what makes them happy...good luck in your search.

Shane

NREMT-P

I don't live in Connecticut!!

ReD, sometimes you can find a good deal on eBay. This site has decent prices for new stuff. http://www.strobesnmore.com/

I have corner stobes (front and rear) and a Whelen Talon dual LED dash light on my truck. At times, I respond directly to a scene. This light package is especially helpful when I use the truck to block traffic. Rarely do I use my lights. The fire department is less than a mile from my house.

Shayne

i didnt think e-bay could sell red lights, i'll have to check that out then!

It doesn't have to be ebay US, other countries have no legislation regarding RED lights. Blue is the no no colour here in Ireland and in the UK. You will have no prob getting red lights from the UK as they have no "meaning" over there. You will find cheap LEDs and hideaway stobes easily.

It doesn't have to be ebay US, other countries have no legislation regarding RED lights. Blue is the no no colour here in Ireland and in the UK. You will have no prob getting red lights from the UK as they have no "meaning" over there. You will find cheap LEDs and hideaway stobes easily.

holy crap, i never thought of that! thanks!!

the ranting around here is the reason why i dont stop by much anymore, as well as the general opinion that firefighters are idiots..

Interesting. I just can't imagine where any of us might have gotten that impression!

this place has really gone down hill, when i first started coming here, people were nice to each other and helped one another out. now, it seems that everyone tries to belittle everyone who asks a simple question...

Interesting. This place has been chewing up and spitting out wankers and wannabes for the entire two years I have been here. I guess it must have gotten that way in the two months between when you joined and when I joined. Regardless, progress is a good thing. It's all about quality now, and apparently it is working, as our numbers continue to grow.

It's not in writing, but its pretty much required to have lights on POV to respond to the station for calls, no sirens, just lights.

Interesting. It VERY much is in writing in the Texas Motor Vehicle Code that you either use both or neither. Your small town is making up their own laws? And do you think they are going to admit their "pretty much" requirement in your defence in court? Think again!

...which brings me here, explaining why i need the lights and what i do for a living, and how far away from the station i live.

Interesting. But, according to your very own personal website, you are "...currently testing for fire departments in hope of getting a job, and making the big bucks! So it is perfectly reasonable that some here might have legitimate questions about what you "do for a living" that is so imperitive to mankind that you need emergency equipment for your 1972 Ford Pinto. If this information is incorrect, then perhaps you should update your website rather than getting cheesed off at people who take you at your word.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.