POV LED lights

ReD

This might be a stupid question, but why do you guys have unmarked EMS vehicles ??? You hide the lightbar, then put it on top of the unit for calls ?? I don't see any point in that at all. Undercover EMS ? I can see it for POV's but not service owned vehicles.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the "light police" are a bit upset that someone would actually exceed what "they" deem is an excessive amount of vehicle safety equipment. Go figure.

Shayne

Indeed, i constantly find that the lack of lights and sirens on my own vehicle inhibits my response to the firestation for a call out. In fact, i have been doing some R & D lately on a set of small leds powred by watch batteries that hook onto my sunglasses for those foot responses from my own vehicle across the street to the station so that others may move out of my way. I often think of inclusing some little flashers for my epaullettes or maybe some attached to the heels of my boots as well, but that might be a bit far

The "apparent" trend towards flashing lights, POV's and badges that say EMT is a bit of a laugh for me. Any body who constantly finds themselves needing hot responses to incidents in private vehicles maybe should start thinking of how to avoid this rather than there next order from wheelan. If you find this is a regular occurrence, the full time, part time, rostored duty crew or whatever may be the safest thing for you community.

Weighing risk against benefit, the community is better off with 1 ambulance 2 or 3 minutes later than a fleet of POV's flying through its streets with it whacker lights blinking.

Our vollunteers respond to station under normal road conditions to get on the truck, and theres a file out there for those killed being asses and driving irresponsibly. I find it interesting that as much as people try and reduce hot responses by CAD and priority despatch there is an unnerving trend towards private vehicles being able to do what used to be the realm of actual emergency vehicles

Common sense would dictate the less vehicles running hot thorugh the streets, the safer for everyone, but a lot of peoples common sense is somewhat left of the mean.

i think its funny how all of you assume you know what my purpose for wanting lights is, and why i would need them. these needless and un-asked for opinions are just a waste of time, all i asked was a simple question about the names of some companies. why do you care what the reasoning is that im looking into lights, and why should i listen to your biased opinions?

if you don't have something to say, then keep your fingers off of the keyboard.

this place has really gone down hill, when i first started coming here, people were nice to each other and helped one another out. now, it seems that everyone tries to belittle everyone who asks a simple question, or try and give reasons why theyre better than everyone else or a smarter/better provider. save it, we dont want to read it.

admin might as well lock this thread, as it has become a waste of time.

Some parts of the U.S. still works under a volunteer system. Sometimes those volunteers are 10-20 miles away depending on the size of the catchment area. Lack of call volume, and tax support, in these areas necessitates volunteer responses. This is not to invoke a discussion about volunteers, but volunteers are a vital part of EMS today, and lights on their cars are part of their tools of the trade. Until the pendulum swings to paid services nationwide, we should support our peers and their different issues. To not understand that side of our profession, and why they are there today, is to not totally understand our profession. My understanding of the original poster was that he wanted help in choosing lights for his vehicle that would allow him to do his job safely. It is unfortunate that he was looked down upon and thought less of because of it.

Just another quick note... if a volunteer spends a few hundred dollars on equipment to keep his EMS unit going, it is probably a lot less, by thousands, than what his taxes would be raised per year if they did not have him and had to put a full time unit up. Not a bad investment.

Some parts of the U.S. still works under a volunteer system. Sometimes those volunteers are 10-20 miles away depending on the size of the catchment area. Lack of call volume, and tax support, in these areas necessitates volunteer responses. This is not to invoke a discussion about volunteers, but volunteers are a vital part of EMS today, and lights on their cars are part of their tools of the trade. Until the pendulum swings to paid services nationwide, we should support our peers and their different issues. To not understand that side of our profession, and why they are there today, is to not totally understand our profession. My understanding of the original poster was that he wanted help in choosing lights for his vehicle that would allow him to do his job safely. It is unfortunate that he was looked down upon and thought less of because of it.

EMT2359 is that 20 minutes away from the station where the ambulance/fire truck is? or is it 20 minutes away from the scene and you drive in your car?

If it is 20 minutes away from the station where the ambulance is housed,can you really say that your volunteers are serving the community in having such a long drive just to get to the station?

If it is to the scene then that is an average county response and I agree with lights on your vehicle but not agree to overdo it.

With response times to the station of 20 minutes or so wouldn't it be more feasible to have someone closer to the station available? Maybe I mis=read your post a little. Can you elaborate for me?

but volunteers are a vital part of EMS today, and lights on their cars are part of their tools of the trade.
Volunteers perhaps, L & S on POVs are not. If they want to volunteer, than do it from the station, not 10 - 20 miles away as you state.

ReD, I feel your pain. I don't chat very often or post much mainly due to limited time for browsing, but for some of the reasons you state also. That being said, what other reason couild you possibly have for want lights on your POV?

If they want to volunteer, than do it from the station, not 10 - 20 miles away as you state.

Volunteers are difficult as it is to get and keep. Now you want them to sit at the station for the 2-3 calls a week some areas get? How do you propose that we convince them to do such? If if they don't, or can't, then what is the solution? It is easy to say if the want to do it, than XYZ, but show me the plan on how to get that program to work.

Volunteers are difficult as it is to get and keep. Now you want them to sit at the station for the 2-3 calls a week some areas get? How do you propose that we convince them to do such? If if they don't, or can't, then what is the solution? It is easy to say if the want to do it, than XYZ, but show me the plan on how to get that program to work.

Excuse me while i chastise myself for holding all emergency operators to the same standards........

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.