How much do you charge?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was listening to a podcast of an interview of a member of MSF, and he said we should not be charging by act, we should be charging through tax, because usually, the ones who need emergency care are the poorer ones, and they cannot pay or paying that amount would devastate them. They need the money more than the richer ones. (Keep in mind he's talking about people in africa going to an MSF malnutrition clinic.)

Does that same logic apply here? Any thoughts?

A little addon to Alco's post: in Ontario, all transports, with the exception of interfacility are 45$. Insurance picks up the rest. Unless we can get the nursing staff/ER doc to sign our blue billing copy indicating that the call was non-essential, and then the pt gets the bill for the full 250$. (Keep in mind those ARE Canadian dollars!)

Brat;)

So that would be what .45 (Cents) American?

:lol:

Couldn't resist!!!!

• 5 months later...
I was listening to a podcast of an interview of a member of MSF, and he said we should not be charging by act, we should be charging through tax, because usually, the ones who need emergency care are the poorer ones, and they cannot pay or paying that amount would devastate them. They need the money more than the richer ones. (Keep in mind he's talking about people in africa going to an MSF malnutrition clinic.)

Does that same logic apply here? Any thoughts?

That's certainly the logic behind the UK's National Health Service. Every working person pays National Insure contributions on top of their income tax, and the government then funds the NHS. Free to all, at point of need.

So, we don't charge anything at all for normal calls- the only charges made are for things like providing crews to cover football matches and the like, and for running some courses like Health and Safety at Work First Aid courses. We do CPR classes and whatnot for school kids on a voluntary basis, so schools don't get charged.

The NHS would be a great system if there was less bureaucratic nonsense, in a lot of hospitals the management, admin and support people outnumber the front-line folks, which shouldn't really be happening. I guess that's what happens when a labour government is allowed to stay in power *sigh*.

That said, I really wish we could charge the time wasting morons who regularly call for us then either have bog all wrong with them or refuse to travel... Might make them think twice before picking up the phone!

• 11 months later...

I hope this does not come out rude, but if one does not how much to charge then I would be concern starting a transport business. I would contact American Ambulance Association, and local government officials.

EMS and ambulance has one of the highest failing rates among business. One should have at least six months to one year reserve of operating budget, before even attempting to open the doors. Most states now require large bonds to assure that there is at least enough operating budget to pay contractors, suppliers, and staff.

Again, I would contact the American Ambulance Association per their web site, and maybe their local chapter representative that might be able to help you get into contact with appropriate persons.

R/r 911

I agree with Ridryder about the performance bond. We had a fairly large non-emergency service from CA try and provide EMS service as well as non-emergency transports for a portion of our county.

To make a long story short, they won the contract for the area in which they bid. When it came time to ante up the performance bond to the tune of $400,000.00, they asked for an extension which wasn't granted. Needless to say, they carried their happy tail back to the Golden State never to be seen again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.