How much do you charge?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

our service charges about 160 dollars 'flag fall for the first 16km and then so much per km after to a max of about 2500 dollars

there is no charge for a non transport, pensioner o those covered by health insurance

also there is no charge for the different types of jobs we do and no charge for the equipment or drugs used

stay safe

and the 2500 dollars is never reached anyway

this includes helicopter transport as well

so you could be transported 1000km and not be charged anywhere near the max charge

stay safe

ALS Base fee $580

BLS Base fee $460

$10 per mile

Drugs and supplies extra

And our company is "cheap" compared to other agencies in the area.

One squad I volunteer with doesn't charge a thing...and as a result their equipment is crap, their training is crap, and they tend to screw up 1/2 their calls in some sort of substantial way.

The other squad I work with is a non-profit ALS agency. I think BLS is around $400 plus equipment used. ALS is around $550 plus equipment used. Transfers are a base charge plus milage and Equipment used. Top dollar goes to CCTs.

Of course, most of the population around here is Medicare/Medicaid so what we charge bears little to no resemblence to what we receive. :D

Well, when the agency I work for first started out, it was completely non-profit. Their goal was to provide EMS to anyone who needed it, free of charge. But then the times caught up with them and they started to have to charge something. So they started only billing the insurances companies for what they covered; if the patient didn't have insurance (or the insurance didn't cover much) it didn't matter. Well recently we've come to find out that this isn't legal, so we have just started to have to charge people. Of course we don't really enforce it; it's more like a pay what you can when you can kind of thing. As far as actual charges, I have no clue-no one but the medical billing people do.

emt_hound

We don't charge anything and we are volunteer (except for two paid Ps weekdays), but we have Lifepak 12s, CPAP, etc. We have a very solid in house CME program and members are encouraged to attend additional outside CME training at Squad expense. In addition we train the local PD in CPR/AED with our own AHA Certified CPR Instructors.

I don't think that charge or no charge governs the quality of care. It depends more on the community's attitude toward EMS and their willingness to support it and most of all on the people involved. For a service area with about 26,000 people we have three ambulances, a fly car, 32 EMTs, more than a third of them AEMT-CC or AEMT-Ps. We almost always run with at least an AEMT-CC in charge of a four person crew.

We have had some in the community asking why we don't split away from the Fire Dept. and charge, but that idea never gets anywhere, because what we have works so well.

I have to agree with VillageEMT ... Paid / volunteer status has nothing to do with the quality of service you provide or the level of training attained. It's all about setting high standards and making sure everyone stays there. NJ is still fairly unique in the high volume of volunteer squads (BLS only care) with Paramedics based at hospitals and dispatched as needed. We don't charge, they do ... we transport, most of them don't. My squad has 4 fully equipped BLS rigs, and we have been known to be able to roll ALL of them at once - even during the daytime (yeah, I know it has to be a pretty juicy MVA to get them all out during the day...but it's been done). Based on our location and distance to nearest trauma center we also do a fair number of helicopter transports (3 in the last 2 weeks I think) and that is another charge for the patient, usually on top of the MICU charge.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.