first responder teaching scenarios

swn919

Depends on who they are and what they're teaching. Can my first responders teach Readyman and First Aid to different levels of Boy Scouts? Absofrickinlutely and everyone has a blast as well as learning some good first aid.

Now, teaching first responders... they're basically just first aid and CPR, but you can still take your calls, simplify them and let them try to figure out what they'd do on that call. And there are some who get FR certification for a job that doesn't require EMT-B... so don't automatically assume anyone going thru the course is Rescue Randy- Extra Lite Brains.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

P.S. I wonder if Zombies, when they go on a diet, seek out Rescue Randy and his ilk... mm... Lite Brains....

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First Responder is for people too dumb to pass EMT classes!

:) :sign5:

Just playin and you know it!

lol im not old enough to be an EMT so i choose CFR for a while lol

I always like to shock students by setting up the class with patients trapped under the tables. No way to extricate. Then when they get under the table the lights fail. Funny how many panic and abandon the patient. I have others that improvise, they turn cell phone on and use that light to continue working. Some use the light from their watch. It really is a great way to see how well they respond to bad conditions and how well they improvise.

I think good first responders are very important to EMS

Coming from a rural service, I have worked with alot of them.

If you make your own scenarios (although you are probably long done judging by the date on this thread) I think it is impotant to make sure they ask alot of questions. I always told our first responders to assume by the time EMS gets there the Pt. will be unconcious. So we will be relying on you for all the history. Also make sure they know 90% of thier job is phycological, bringing calmness to a scene is soooo important.

I once went to a anaphylaxis where the first responder was holding a NRB over the face of a pt who was sitting against a wall in a corner. The first thing I did was put her on a chair in the middle of the room and put the freakin NRB strap on properly, made a huge difference in the pt.

First responders are a huge part of EMS and they need to be trained that way, even if they have no scope of practice.

if you really want to know why i think first responders shouldnt teach,then pm me. im not going to post here.

In the future if you are not going to back up statements you make in a thread, please refrain from making them in the first place.

Thanks.

I have an issue with first responders teaching first responders. No disrespect to the person teaching, thats like a PCP teaching another PCP and the person teaching hasn't even worked a day on the street.... I think it's pretty unfair to the people(students)in the classroom setting because anyone can teach out of a book. It's not just first responders that this happens with, there are a few institutions that i'm not going to bash but,they have EMR's,EMT-A teachers who haven't worked a day in EMS. Do you think it's right?Honestly...So Johnny just came out of PCP school and now he's going to open up his own "EMS" school and teach whoever he takes in for his "intake"...Johnny has no street experience. Should he really be teaching?Talk about a complete revenue grab :roll: But anyways, I don't think its fair to have instructors who have NO experience to be in a class in the teaching enviroment. This goes for cpr,first responders,PCP's,ACP's,ACLS whichever......

my opinion.

good call on "not reading the topic". My bad :)

I have an issue with first responders teaching first responders. No disrespect to the person teaching, thats like a PCP teaching another PCP and the person teaching hasn't even worked a day on the street.... I think it's pretty unfair to the people(students)in the classroom setting because anyone can teach out of a book. It's not just first responders that this happens with, there are a few institutions that i'm not going to bash but,they have EMR's,EMT-A teachers who haven't worked a day in EMS. Do you think it's right?Honestly...So Johnny just came out of PCP school and now he's going to open up his own "EMS" school and teach whoever he takes in for his "intake"...Johnny has no street experience. Should he really be teaching?Talk about a complete revenue grab :roll: But anyways, I don't think its fair to have instructors who have NO experience to be in a class in the teaching enviroment. This goes for cpr,first responders,PCP's,ACP's,ACLS whichever......

my opinion.

good call on "not reading the topic". My bad :)

So from what I read in your post it isn't so much FRs teaching FRs, it is those without experience teaching others. This I agree with.

And why can't someone of one level teach another of the same level? Who teaches the highest level?

In our cities EMS, we don't even have first responders.......I have always wondered how first responding worked. I mean, FR's won't know about an emergency till 911, and when 911 knows they dispatch an ambulance, if they dispatched both, we would get there at the same time, and they wouldn't be a FIRST responder, they would be a SECOND responder, lol. But anyways, exactly how do FR's coordinate with an ambulance/911 agency??

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.