A question for any CT and PA EMTs/Medics, or anyone else

I am working on a high school report, about information security in the medical field (regarding HIPAA). I am looking into four states (New York, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, and New Jersey). One of the topics I am talking about is what is stopping anyone from walking in and pretending to be an EMT or a paramedic. What type of identification do you have? For example in NJ an EMT card is a piece of paper (no real security there). I already have seen NY and NJ’s ID cards, and I am trying to see a sample of the CT and PA. If anyone has one, show me it I would be greatly appreciative.

Also, if anyone else has any input in regarding this, I would love to hear from you

Thank You.

Firstly, welcome to EMT City! I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here. Are you also looking into a career or certification as an EMS Provider? If not, you'll still find this community to be a fountain of info concerning anything EMS related.

So, on to your question...

When you say "walking in and pretending to be an EMS provider", walking in to where, exactly?

If you mean a hospital...nothing really stopping them, if their forged documents are good enough, and no one challenges them TOO much. At our local Level I Trauma Center, you have to have your picture ID Badge w/ a magnetic stripe in order to walk in through the ambulance entrance of the ER. This ID is issued by the hospital, however. They did this for all the EMS Agencies that commonly transport to their facility. You must have this ID displayed at all time, or you will be challenged by anyone who sees you...unless they personally know you, etc.

If you mean to get a job as a medic, there's many things preventing them from doing so. The Fire or EMS agency will ask for their drivers license, and their ems certification card, among other things. The agency will then check with the state office of EMS or similar EMS regulating agency to verify that the individual is who they say they are, and that they are indeed certified/licensed to practice at the level stated on their card. They will also complete a criminal background check, and possibly a credit report as well, depending on the agency.

I'm in VA. Virginia's EMS certification papers are just that. Papers.

One piece is approximately 9 inches by 5 inches. Suitable for framing, if you're into that. :lol:

Additionally, it comes with a pocket card, about the size of a credit card or so, and you can laminate this and keep it in your wallet. That's it.

I would like to see Virginia do for EMS, the same as they do for others, ie; set it up where a provider can take their VA Issued Drivers License, and their EMS Certification card...go to the DMV, and have their pic taken for a state issued EMS Photo ID. My mother works for the State, and she has one. She went to the DMV to do it. Most state employees have them now.

Dept. of Transportation

VA Employment Commision

VA Dept. of Health (who is the parent department of our Office of EMS)

Department of Corrections (I think)

Additionally, security guards and bail agents are regulated by the state, and they do the same thing. They have state Photo ID's stating their licensing or certifications.

Why not EMS as well? It only makes sense. Wait. I just answered my own question, didn't I?

I don't know if I helped or not, but that's how they do it in VA.

In NJ you have a card and if you aren't too sure you can contact the NJ state dept. of health or you can even look up a name online if you have a name or city name all you need is to clarify if it's an EMT-B or EMT-P certification. http://www.state.nj.us/health/ems/emtcertsearch/search.shtml In other states, I don't know what they do.

I am working on a high school report, about information security in the medical field (regarding HIPAA). I am looking into four states (New York, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, and New Jersey). One of the topics I am talking about is what is stopping anyone from walking in and pretending to be an EMT or a paramedic. What type of identification do you have? For example in NJ an EMT card is a piece of paper (no real security there). I already have seen NY and NJ’s ID cards, and I am trying to see a sample of the CT and PA. If anyone has one, show me it I would be greatly appreciative.

Also, if anyone else has any input in regarding this, I would love to hear from you

Thank You.

Most agencies, even volunteer ones will have you fill out an application. They will ask for your EMS cert's as well as Soc Security card,, Valid D.L, as well as other forms of I.D. They will then check you out and verify the info you provide thru either the national registry, or State DOH web site, or both. Most private and volunteer companies issue I.D. cards, and any good hospital security will challenge anyone walking into an ER that either doesn't have I.D. or doesn't get out of an ambulance.

As far as Infosec, even if you get into a hospital, the individual computers each require a unique password to log on and get any info out of,, so were you to get past security, you still wouldn't be able to get access to patient records.

My main issue, as far as impersonation possibilities go, are the damn wankers selling EMS patches & badges on Ebay. I've seen hundreds of NREMT-B/I/P patches on auction there. I don't worry about mentioning this here, because all you have to do is google it, and you'll find the ebay auctions in the search results.

As far as verification of EMS certs/licensing by agencies, I don't think you'd find an agency that DIDN'T make you file an application with multiple forms of ID. Our OEMS requires us, as all other places do, I'm sure, to let them know who our providers are, and they verify our names with their cert database.

Just another reason why I want VA to go to state issued photo id cards for EMS, with the seal & hologram security embedded. They do it for unarmed security guards and others who don't really do anything, so why not have it for those that are entrusted to administer cardiac meds and perform invasive acts such as RSI, Defibrillation, Crics, IO, etc. EMT's as well. There's a security matter that's definitely worthy of someones attention...imho.

I have to echo Rid's comments here.

We have a poster who has posted only once. He has asked to see samples of EMS cert/ID cards under the guise of being able to determine who's real and who's an imposter. He's being awfully specific about the areas from which he'd like to see examples.

Don't give this bonehead anything!!! You don't know for sure he's a "high school student". In fact, you don't know anything about him!

Don't give this guy anything. Don't show him anything. Don't tell him anything.

There is something awfully fishy about this.

It's in our nature to be somewhat trusting. But in this particular case I'd say skepticism should rule the day.

-be safe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.