EZ-IO

Anyone ever use this? How effective is it? How easy is it to use? What type of situations would you use it in? Any other information you can give, let me know... we are gettin them on our trucks, got to test them out today. BIG FUN!

Thanks,

Jen

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not as wonderful as the manufacturer would like you to believe.

It is quick, and easy. If you can use an electric drill, you should be able to use this device. It is not a replacement for adequate IV skills.

I've had the chance to use the EZ IO, the F.A.S.T from Pyng, the B.I.G from Waismed, and central IV access. I will tell you that a central line is comparable, if not faster, in time, they are cheaper to supply, and have greater utility in the critical patient.

Sorry, I'm just not impressed with the addition of options that take away from skills that should be instilled in every ALS provider's mindset.

We have used them with good results.

I have to deduct 5 points though for not utilizing the search function to find that a similar thread to this has already been created and discussed. Feel free to search for the answers that have already been given. Should you have more questions after the search, post again and we'd be happy to use them.

I also don't know that I'd use the words "BIG FUN!" to describe the use of the EZ-IO. As mentioned, it's another tool...not a replacement for good skills in the first place. If you don't know when you would typically use the IO access, it's probably in your patient's best interest that you refrain from using the device other than on a dummy to practice. Hopefuly your in-service training will cover more of your questions.

Shane

NREMT-P

I have to deduct 5 points though for not utilizing the search function to find that a similar thread to this has already been created and discussed. Feel free to search for the answers that have already been given. Should you have more questions after the search, post again and we'd be happy to use them.

#1... I don't really care about points, I had a question and wanted to learn something. I glanced through, didn't see anything and don't want to spend 2 days looking for a "SIMILAR THREAD". If you don't want to inform me, then STFU....

I also don't know that I'd use the words "BIG FUN!" to describe the use of the EZ-IO. As mentioned, it's another tool...not a replacement for good skills in the first place. If you don't know when you would typically use the IO access, it's probably in your patient's best interest that you refrain from using the device other than on a dummy to practice. Hopefuly your in-service training will cover more of your questions.

Shane

NREMT-P

#2 You have no idea who I am or my personality. I think this job is the most fun I have had in my entire life. I take it very seriously. It beats the past 8 years where I spent every single day in a "quality lab" inside the interior of a building, in a secure room with no visitors, never getting to see sunlight or get fresh air! So when I say something is fun, its because I am learning and something is exciting to me. So as I said before STFU...

I do appreciate your information, I did have my inservice but WANTED OTHER OPINIONS! If you can do that without the criticism of one of your fellow peers and would like to assist once in a while, please do. Otherwise, keep your mouth shut. We all need to stop dipping in each others buckets and give compliments or assistance instead of talking about each other and maybe help or compliment once in a while!

Thank you to the others for your information, I do appreciate it. I don't post about serious stuff all the time, I just read and learn, but when I do post, I am curious and would like information, NOT CRITISM!

Jen

Before you go flexing your typing fingers and telling me to "STFU" (which is a great way to represent yourself, your service and OUR profession)...you seem to have missed a few things. So for your assistance, I've pointed them out for you and gone on to answer your questions. Hopefully you'll find this post more helpful to your cause.

When you glanced through you seem to have missed some threads that just might have covered your questions. For your pleasure and assitance, here are the links I came up with in a search for "EZ-IO" on EMTCity.com. It took me far from two days to locate. In fact, I found them in less than 10 seconds. Plus, let's not forget that in the rules for the site which can be found here http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/siterules.php, it states "We also ask that our members make an honest attempt to abide by these universally recognized standards of "Netiquette" when posting to EMT City forums:

Please try to do some basic research before posting. Most fundamental questions have already been discussed multiple times on this site. Take a moment to use the "Search" function on this site to find previous discussions regarding your topic before starting a new topic."

http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph...;highlight=ezio

http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph...;highlight=ezio

Those are the two with EZ-IO in the topic, there multiple other threads that have EZ-IO's mentioned. These two are directly related to the device though. Hopefully you'll find more information that you're looking for. Do some reading, and post back with other questions should you have any.

And now onto the next thing...

Maybe you'd find better answers to your questions if you took the time to explain the situation. Tell us that you had the inservice and are looking to compare agencies policies on the use. General questions such as "how easy is to use?" and "what type of situations would you use it in?" and "how effective it is?" Those are three questions that should have been covered at length in the in-service. You asked for general information, not protocol driven answers. So maybe the problem isn't us "dipping in each others buckets" but a post that could have been worded in the first place to get the answers you seek.

But since you want information, the protocol we use for it here is:

Front line in cardiac arrest or for any critical patient that needs IV access, and where IV access could not be established within 60-90 seconds.

It generally takes less than one minute to establish the IO with a low complication rate. The only contraindications are a proximal long bone fracture and/or morbid obesity. Any medication that can be given IV, can also be given IO; up and including adenosine. Generally, we only tend to use them in unresponsive patients, but it can be used in concious patients as well. If you listen to the literature on the device, it supposedly hurts less than a peripheral IV. I don't know how much I buy into that statement though.

Shane

NREMT-P

PS - You don't know who I am or what my personality is either, so what was your point? It's great that the job is fun and exciting for you. It still is for me too. But don't forget that your typed posts are the same as a spoken word in a conversation. Think your post out, write it concisely and conduct yourself with the maturity and respect towards others that our profession deserves.

JeniF371,

Your enthusiasm for what is a new and potentially exciting career is great. It's wonderful that you enjoy what you do.

Don't confuse the suggestion to look a bit deeper for information as a demonstration of attitude. Doing so will only help you to understand the concepts that you are looking for. Some of your questions about the utility of this particular device have been discussed, and by working a bit more for the information you will be more likely to retain what you find.

If you are concerned with the time that it will take to do a cursory search, why bother asking the question to begin with? The internet is full of information, but some message boards don't get visited as frequently as others. Just look at the replies/viewed numbers. Many will look at the conversation, and decide that they don't want to respond. This can lead to frustration from those that want information and can't get it.

Face to face, person to person question and answer sessions are the best way to figure some of these issues out. Talk with other departments in your area that might have the device. Ask locally, then work out from there. At some point you may need someone to actually show you something that you hear about online, or in a class.

Also, try to make your question as specific as possible. As Shane eluded, your questions about this device should have been clearly covered in your inservice, or by the video that Vidacare puts out.

Thank you AZCEP, you have answered some of my questions, I was basically trying to get at specific situations that users have had and wanted THEIR experience with it and THEIR opinions.

I appreciate you helping me and have had others send me messages answering more questions. I don't have a lot of time anymore to sit and read every single forum on here and when I attended our inservice, they called us in late and had started and it was 1/2 over by the time we arrived, is why I was asking questions. I have been on the web sites, but they just don't account or personal experience, which is basically what I was asking everyone.

And medic, I will look up what you assisted with.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to use. Find the appropriate landmark and drill < 2 seconds. I feel they are a great tool, but should be used as last resort. As far as central lines, I personally don't think most can place them as fast and easy as an EZ I/O.

R/r 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.