BLS Approved Meds.

briguy222

For the uninformed, those are the multiple packages of anti nerve agent meds, in auto-injectors, used similarly to epi-pens.

The kit is only to be opened on authority of on line medical control, but if that order comes down, it will be citywide in nature, not just one ambulance crew.

Thanks for the reminder, Seth.

I don't know about NYC but basically we were told the odds are that we would be using the Mark I's on ourselves. At least the first crew in, since we probably wouldn't know at first it was an attack. So technically it would be self-administered, at least until we were so covered in our own excrement to continue treatment.

:shock:

See, this is the kind of crap that made be enroll in Nursing School. :D

Peace,

Marty

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an EMT in W.V. we can administer(NOT ASSIST) patients with nitro,epi and and few other meds now. BUT...Myself as well as others in our company have had our a$$ handed to us for calling for ALS backup on a chest-pain call. I think that a medic should be present on these calls....even if my protocols say I can administer nitro. I feel comfortable giving it, but there is always that "what if" that change change your call! So, should I be reprimanded for calling for ALS? I don't think so!

So, should I be reprimanded for calling for ALS? I don't think so!

If it delays the patient's arrival at the hospital, yes, you should be reprimanded. Once. Then fired the next time.

Time is muscle.

But I would say the same thing goes for your dispatchers. If they are routinely mis-triaging calls and sending BLS units on cardiac runs, they too should be fired.

I work as an EMT-B at a retirement community in PA. We are only BLS here and there have recently been some arguments about what we can and what we can not have in our medical supplies. I know there are only the 6 medications we can administer and or assist with but people have been telling us that we are not allowed to stock and or use certain things on site.

The supplies in question are saline solutions (bottles and eye solution), anti-biotic creams, ammonia inhalants, medicated swabs, burn and or cooling gels, and any other little things like those. I was just wondering if we really are not allowed to use these or even have them available for use. And if we can not physically administer these things, can we supply them to the patient so they can administer it themselves.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

If you are working for an EMS Agency, refer to PA Act 45 and PA Act 28.

Dustdevil wrote: If it delays the patient's arrival at the hospital, yes, you should be reprimanded. Once. Then fired the next time.

Dust, by no means would I ever delay pt. care!

I was trying to explain a point.

Ever since we got the new protocol's to administer nitro, some of our Medics feels that they "don't need to be there" on chest pain calls. I do load and go, with ALS enroute. If I meet them enroute-GREAT, if I get to the hospital first...then thats fine too! BUT...just because I can get orders to administer nitro, doesn't mean that I have the drugs to reverse any side effects. I just hate that some of our "medics" feel that we don't need them due to our new protocol's. If I feel the need for ALS....bet your a$$ I will call for them!!!

Excellent. I am glad that you have the full picture. The important point is that, just because a patient needs ALS does not mean that he needs to wait around for it. In most cases in America, he can be at the hospital just as fast, or faster than he can have ALS intercept.

It seems all to common that EMT-Bs claim to know exactly when and when not to call for ALS, yet they prove here everyday that they do not. Then, after being proven completely incompetent, they continue to maintain that they are experts at knowing when to call for ALS. Just once I'd like to see an EMT-B admit that they are inadequately educated and experienced to be able to properly assess a patient and his need for ALS care. But honestly, I don't think I will ever see it in my lifetime. Proof positive of the danger of EMT-Bs working on emergency ambulances, and the need to eliminate that practice altogether.

In my county, a medic (whether private carrier or one from the Sheriff’s Department) is automatically dispatched to ALL 'Tier 1) calls. These include cardiac, dificulty breathing, GSW, etc.

Working urban EMS, there's a better chance of getting ALS (either on scene or intercept) should the need arise.

In all the cardio calls I've worked with the Sheriff's Department medics, usually, I've only gotten the assessment done when they arrive. (they don't waste much time getting on scene). After this point, the medic usually takes over, and the attending EMT usually gets relegated to drive the LALS unit to the hospital behind the rig.

Just once I'd like to see an EMT-B admit that they are inadequately educated and experienced to be able to properly assess a patient and his need for ALS care. But honestly, I don't think I will ever see it in my lifetime. Proof positive of the danger of EMT-Bs working on emergency ambulances, and the need to eliminate that practice altogether.

The reason for this is how EMS education (as far as I know, I did the FR level and EMT-:D is constructed. Instead of going from the bottom to the surface, EMS teaching goes from the surface to the bottom. You start with skills and protocols and the further you go, the more theoretical background you get. In formal education, the usual way is to start with the theoretical background and then how to use it.

The thing about starting from the surface is that you can always see the light from above, so you know how far it is to the surface, but you have no idea how deep you could actually go, until you go there. Hence, there is a general tendency for EMS personnel to think they know it all at any point during their way through the ranks.

The reason for this is how EMS education (as far as I know, I did the FR level and EMT-:D is constructed. Instead of going from the bottom to the surface, EMS teaching goes from the surface to the bottom. You start with skills and protocols and the further you go, the more theoretical background you get. In formal education, the usual way is to start with the theoretical background and then how to use it.

The thing about starting from the surface is that you can always see the light from above, so you know how far it is to the surface, but you have no idea how deep you could actually go, until you go there. Hence, there is a general tendency for EMS personnel to think they know it all at any point during their way through the ranks.

Excellent analogy! =D>

One of these days, I will publish a book of EMS wisdom. That's two paragraphs that will definitely be in there!

Copyright it Kristo, make some money off the bastard! :)

I know i have called for ALS when not needed. I also know I have not called for ALS when needed. Maybe if I could do 12 leads, start IV's, intubate, push drugs, and go through 2 years of class room, I would know when they are needed.

Hey, wait a minute........

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.