Most under-"utilised" (canadian term) peice of equ

Actually the most underutilised piece of equipment is your common sense. many of the people I work with and see on a day to day basis have had their common sense go the way of the DoDo bird.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found that it is the KED on my service.

In 9 years, I have used it about 10 times and 7 of those were to transfer a pt. from a wheelchair to our cot (It works very well for that). :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Actually the most underutilised piece of equipment is your common sense.

:lol::lol:

Have to agree with that one.... without a doubt....

I have found that it is the KED on my service.

In 9 years, I have used it about 10 times and 7 of those were to transfer a pt. from a wheelchair to our cot (It works very well for that). :)

Did these patients in wheelchairs require spinal precautions??? If not, using the KED seems a bit odd to me in this situation. Why not just pick the patient up and move them to the stretcher? A nice fore-and-aft lift works nicely.

jw-c152,

The KED fit perfectly behind the pt. and the built it handles gives you something to hang on to and makes it easy to lift on to the cot. Sounds funny but it worked, sometimes you have to think out of the box to get things done.

The KED fit perfectly behind the pt. and the built it handles gives you something to hang on to and makes it easy to lift on to the cot. Sounds funny but it worked, sometimes you have to think out of the box to get things done.

Before they dislocate their shoulders patting themselves on the back for all of their "out of the box" thinking, it would be nice if the morons you are working with first learned what was in the box, and even what the box is for.

Way too many morons in EMS who are overly impressed with their little tricks of the trade, yet apparently are clueless (or just plain lazy) about standard-of-care operations.

Actually the most underutilised piece of equipment is your common sense. many of the people I work with and see on a day to day basis have had their common sense go the way of the DoDo bird.

I like that statement, can't disagree with it. Underutilized equipment in my area is the MASTS.

Underutilized equipment in my area is the MASTS.

Same here. In face a lot of ambulance's don't even carry them any more. The scoop stretcher, I've never used, and I've only ever used the KED twice. As for the lights, I play with them on the way back from the call, but that's about it. :)

jw-c152,

I can't remember for sure, but I thought I remember reading that the KED should technically not be used for lifting but rather just to facilitate the turning and sliding for an extrication.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.