Homosexuality - Why do people still care?

vs-eh?

Do you have a problem with homosexuals?  

85 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes (explain yourself)
    • No (explain yourself)

"baseless facts" -- hmmmmmm you havent read the Qu"ran then have you............funny that!

"not about sex" you ever seen a gay rights parade ! I understand that many gays are private and loving - no problem there - but visit a gay bar, go to a gay rights parade or watch gay tv - I know - let your kids watch it - let your kids go to the parades - yeah right!

By the way - I admire what you are doing over there - thanks for that.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is very true that the links to genetic basis have not been yet completely proven but they are solid enough for this skeptical biology major to go ahead and chalk that one into the "Ok, I'll buy it for now" category until more information comes along. But the link between maternal hormones in utero is a definitely proven phenomenon. I'll try to get the articles for you if you so desire.

And notice that I said the RESPONSE is the choice? The orientation might not be. Whether or not a person decides to act on their sexuality IS a choice. No?

Rid, I completely see where you're coming from. The only thing I've come down to is what I said before... I leave the judgement up to God. Personally, I like the reservation of MARRIAGE for a hetero couple... but civil unions wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing for committed homosexual couples. I look at it this way... there's a couple who've been together for 20 years, they're good for each other... say one of them ends up in the ER. Their partner should have the right to make care decisions for them. Only makes sense. Now, if they're smart, they've drawn up legal, medical and financial power of attorney forms naming the other which they have a in a file, ready to use should it be necessary. But a civil union wouldn't be a bad thing, in my honest opinion.

Just my (slightly more liberal than it used to be) opinion.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

MI EMT-B

correction: not the qu'ran but the other holy book used by muslims.....

The Hadith are much more explicit about what should be done. A few examples:

“Kill the one who sodomises and the one who lets it be done to him.” – Tirmidhi.

“Lesbianism by women is adultery between them.” – Tabarani. (Consider that death is the penalty for adultery.)

“If a man who is not married is seized committing sodomy, he will be stoned to death.” – Sunan Abu Dawud, 38:4448.

Me, personally, I don't care. I mean it. I really, really, don't care. I was for gay marriage, until a good friend pointed out that marriage is a religious, and not legal term. So, in that aspect, since I am such a firm believer in a seperation of church and state, the state has no right to dictate what a religion can and cannot accept. So, civil unions, yes, extend rights to partners. I don't think there is anyone who can really defend being against things like domestic partnerships without just being out and out bigots.

I mean, people came down on my stance against shoot first laws by saying it restricts peoples freedoms. No one has ever died in the crossfire during gay sex, yet these same people like to but into other people's lives when comes to acts that are far more harmless. If you don't want people butting into your right to arm yourself, then what right do you have dictating what other people can and cannot do? The only thing worse than being a bigot is being a hypocritical one.

Oh yeah, and being a natural redhead, redheads do get discrimnated against fairly often and are the subject of only partially true stereotypes.

I'm torn on the subject. I have nothing against gays in general. Though I have strongly disliked some gay individuals.

I'm not comfortable making the moral judgment, yet I don't want them sharing their opinions of their sexual lifestyle with my son...at any time before he's been well laid a few times at least.

The thought of gay sex makes my skin crawl...But they aren't asking me to have sex with them...and there may be a few things that happen in my bedroom they would not be so wild about either...

I also believe it can be biological. I can't prove it, but can tell you with certainty, having trained animals for 20+ years, there are examples of all species that will only mate (attempt to mate) with the same sex. Believe me or don't...it's true.

For me it boils down to this. If you believe there's a God, then he made gays (if he made everything). So he either intended that there be gays...Or he made a mistake. (The free choice argument really doesn't hold up either if you've ever had the opportunity to discuss the subject with an intelligent, educated gay person that knew they were gay in the 40's and 50's.)

I choose not to choose. I'll treat them as any other neighbor. I'll be happy for them to teach at my school...if they're good teachers, go to my church, if they share my beliefs (and if I went to church), live next door and barrow my lawn mower...I won't bow to them because they're different...and won't treat them different until I see the need.

I'm unwilling to judge what I don't understand. I have no idea what it means to be gay...or black...or female. So until I get struck with some type of divine knowledge, I guess I'll just have to treat everyone the same...with respect and dignity, until they prove to deserve otherwise.

Have a great day all!

Dwayne

NOTE: I have to choose: None of the above.

"baseless facts" -- hmmmmmm you havent read the Qu"ran then have you............funny that!

"not about sex" you ever seen a gay rights parade ! I understand that many gays are private and loving - no problem there - but visit a gay bar, go to a gay rights parade or watch gay tv - I know - let your kids watch it - let your kids go to the parades - yeah right!

By the way - I admire what you are doing over there - thanks for that.

Yes but as with the Bible, there are people who pick and choose and how to interpret passages to fit whatever they believe in. This occurs everywhere.

It is whether or not you are good, respectful and tolerant that makes the person, not which passgae you spew forth.

As far as the gay bar....yes that is about sex but so is every other "straight" bar. Show me a nightclub where someone isnt trying to get laid. Yes I have visited them because they were the only ones open after the regular clubs closed at 0200 and they played really good music.

The parades are about fun and good times. Again as someone pointed out earlier, there are those that are way too flamboyant but parades are all about being outragous. Are there no "out there" displays or costumes at Mardi Gras?? Certainly no debauchery there, everyone is so prisitine and virginal.

Gay TV...well I must say I have never seen or had acces to an all gay tv or channel, however I do not mind my kids watching the sitcoms that portray such.

As for the "predictable" debate, for such a thing to exist, one must provide supporting evidence or at least explain themselves, not just say it is bad and quote a few random passages. Why do you feel this way, personally? I truly am intrested and always listen. You have really not provided any evidence as to why allowing such would be a bad thing.

Rid, you know I repsect you and I appreciate the way you presented your response. Well done sir.

And the 'don't ask don't tell' is enforced! When I went through BCT we had a female with us that just broke down one night. She always told us about her husband and such, they were having problems...the same problems a heterosexual couple would have. But then she told us her "husband" was named "susan" (not really, i dobn't remember the name, but it was a female name.) She no sooner had said that, the next morning someone told, and she got ripped out of the military awfully quickly! I think she was kicked out faster than any injured person that I can remember....

I agree with AK, I could care less who you want to be with, who you find attractive, whatever....just have my back!