Volunteers – Your Job?

Timmy

Yeah, my service has junior cadets (age 11) they do a basic first aid course, go out to events under adult supervision, treat minor patients, fill out the paper work, take some obs ect… when you turn 15 you can become a senior cadet, do courses like advanced first aid, 02, defib, OPAs, splints, spinal ect… I’ve lived in a rural area most of my life so I’ve done things that cadets from a more urban or metro area wouldn’t have done, purely because of lack of volunteers. The first event I ever attend I was on a response team at the Melbourne show then my 2nd was motocross this was when I was 12, I kinda got chucked in the deep end I spose. I’ve been a athletic trainer since I was 14 and working on the fire truck since I was 16 again because there was nobody else to do it.

NB, if you wana know more then look at that ‘locked’ youth in EMS post.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My job is kind of unique. I work for a small town in the utility department, gas-water-sewer-streets-dog catcher-etc.

The town board also oversees the local municipal volunteer ambulance service in which I am also the coordinator/manager for.

(We are considered paid per call) Most of the time I am able to run ems calls as needed so it really helps the manpower situation for a small service.

Take Care

My job is kind of unique. I work for a small town in the utility department, gas-water-sewer-streets-dog catcher-etc.

The town board also oversees the local municipal volunteer ambulance service in which I am also the coordinator/manager for.

(We are considered paid per call) Most of the time I am able to run ems calls as needed so it really helps the manpower situation for a small service.

Take Care

I think this is the future for volley services, It is good that a town can create such a position. Now if the emphasis could be put on the EMS side. Things like you must keep a current BTLS,

Bi-Monthly ride alongs in a busy service, maybe ER rotations, just to keep it sharp.

Then maybe some on-call pay could be worked into the equasion.

Timmy--In the States you have to be a college graduate in order to call yourself an athletic trainer. I passed the national exam in 1976 (yes, I know you weren't born yet) and worked as an athletic trainer for 15 years including 8 years at an NCAA Division 1 university and 5 years in the NFL. I took the EMT and paramedic classes while working in the NFL. Now, I work as a nurse anesthetist and volunteer with my community EMS which is mostly paid. In fact, the only other active volunteer is the national sales manager for large lab testing company.

Live long and prosper.

Spock

Timmy--In the States you have to be a college graduate in order to call yourself an athletic trainer. I passed the national exam in 1976 (yes, I know you weren't born yet) and worked as an athletic trainer for 15 years including 8 years at an NCAA Division 1 university and 5 years in the NFL. I took the EMT and paramedic classes while working in the NFL. Now, I work as a nurse anesthetist and volunteer with my community EMS which is mostly paid. In fact, the only other active volunteer is the national sales manager for large lab testing company.

Live long and prosper.

Spock

Yeah I know, that’s what annoys me about Australia. You can’t do a good sports medicine course or extend your education unless you’re a sports doctor, physio or chiro. Most sporting clubs, even some of the more semi professional clubs only have athletic trainers or as we call them sports trainers in Aussieland.

At my football club we have 90 (if not more depending on how many show up) players of all different ages and divisions play 4 games over a period of 12 hours. We have 2 level two trainers which is what I am, we have EMT-B, Advanced Sports Tapping/Strapping, Advanced Sports Massage, Nutrition/hydration, rehabilitation, meds admin, injury prevention, risk management ect… Then we have 2 level 1 trainer who are basically first aiders with a Tapping Cert, they work under the level 2 trainers, then a professional measurer. To become level 2 you have to work your way up, have been a level one trainer for a few years then it’s a one night a week course at TAFE for a year. Even though we do all these courses there’s not continued education or anything just a refresher every 2 years. I would love to do a proper course and have a solid continuing education program but unfortunately insurance only cares about someone have that bit of paper so they can play there game…

I would have to say that is unfortunate. I never realized Australia was so backwards and maybe I should appreciate what we have here in the States a little bit more. Fortunately you are still young and can work on your education because that is everything. Good luck.

Live long and prosper.

Spock

I volunteer as one of the lads at barbecues and for random acts of moderated yet amusing alcohol consumption, camping, hiking, hunting, movie watching and all other things grouse

I work as an EMT for a private :lol:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.