Volunteers – Your Job?

Timmy

Haha yeah, when I look back it was young… I started when I was 10 learning the ropes and basic first aid, when you reach 11 you become operational, do some courses and attend some standbys then you gradually build up from there. You’re always under strict adult supervision of course

Child labor, my area learns about that they might replace all us paid people for cheaper and younger.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think being "operational" at 11 years old seems pretty ridiculous. I'd be pissed if I was hurt at an event and 11 year olds were coming over to help me. I've heard of places starting junior explorers and the like at 16, but 10 and 11. :roll: Seems a little strange to me. Anyways I dont do the vol ems thing, in the area i live it is all paid services and paid fire/ems.

I am a volunteer with our local service. I work a minimum of three shifts a week. I have recently applied and trained with a paid service. I need to pass a lift test which I will be taking this Wednesday before they make it official. It is only a casual on-call position but it's a foot in the door. I have always had a second job even before I got into the EMS field. In the same aspect I have always made sure I am here for my kids especially after school. My family is very supportive and understand that sometimes the cash flow is pretty slow. They are awesome!

Update: Passed the lift test and am now officially making decent money. I get paid some for the volunteer service but the paid service pays much better and learn a hell of a lot more.

I am currently a EMT with a Volunteer Fire Department and a Volunteer Ambulance Service. I am employed as a Customer Service Representative for a local business. Also I provide EMS coverage at the local Raceway on the weekends.

real life job RN in 'unscheduled care' directorate - was in the ED now working assessment unit ...

another commonwealth type who began EMS volunteer career at 10 years of age with SJA although you aren't properly operational as a First aider until you are old enough to take the 'adult' FA cert

Haha yeah, when I look back it was young… I started when I was 10 learning the ropes and basic first aid, when you reach 11 you become operational, do some courses and attend some standbys then you gradually build up from there. You’re always under strict adult supervision of course

So, you are serious.????????????? you were operational when you were 11 ????????????... Holy S*&%.... I thought my dept that allowed you to ride volunteer fire at 16 was young......

Where in the world is this area that allows you to be operational at 11.. ???????????...... and what type of operational..????????

Are you trating patients,, fighting fires ,????? what ?????????

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.