Working with fire

Well, finally got hired on (half-hired) with a local company. I'll be practicing my trade out on the mean streets very soon! 8) And working with the other services, PD and Fire.

But my experience with working with fire in school was very limited, and virtually non-existent before (PD, TON'S of experience. Don't ask). Can someone give me a run down on how to cooperate with fire? Like who to address, ranks, stuff like that? Last thing I want to do is step on some toes and get off on bad foot right from the start. :shock:

I believe you are making things too difficult. Just do your job, and don't worry about whom or the ranks. The old addage the "chief's will find you" is true. Usually, if it is a large situation, I look for the "white helmet" or one that is not doing anything, that is usually the one in charge.

Good luck,

R/r 911

I believe you are making things too difficult. Just do your job, and don't worry about whom or the ranks. The old addage the "chief's will find you" is true. Usually, if it is a large situation, I look for the "white helmet" or one that is not doing anything, that is usually the one in charge.

Good luck,

R/r 911

AHHHHHHH HAHAAH You are so right on that one.

Good luck,

R/r 911

Good advice, thanks :D

Eh, just be cool theres nothing else really to worry about.

Don't be annoying, don't try to fit in with them. If you work with the same companies over and over they will get used to ya. Theres nothing to worry about.

As simple as it sounds, just be respectful and 9 out of 10 times you'll get it right back. The district I run with has a lot of fire and EMS clashes, and I can honestly say I get respect from the FD because I do two things. 1) I make small talk at the station, and 2) I thank them for their help (even if they don't do much). Usually when we're out at house fires I get the same from them. Now, that might just be me and it may not work for you....but like everyone else says..just be cool, don't act like they're worthless, and you're in.

here in my city which is a dual ALS response, fire truck and private ambulance, the fire rigs have a paramedic, 2 EMT's and a lieutenant or capitan. Just make sure to thank everyone before you go, see if you can replace any supplies they might have used from their rig, so they can go right back into service - and since we carry the same stuff, it just makes things easier. Sometimes if it's a good call the medic might ride in, which is great because of all the extra help. Some people in my agency don't get along with the fire service too well, i don't understand why.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.