Texas at it again

VS- The use of humor makes you cringe? Sad. That was just something funny I found and thought appropriate. Obviously doctors have more place in the world than guns.

As for my actual take on the right to possess and carry a firearm:

Its not whether or not we should have guns, as that philosophical question is addressed by our constitution. The fact that this country was founded and the right was extended shaped the fabric of the nation. If the country had been founded with no intention of extending that right it would be an entirely different story. We continue to erode our liberties in the interest of being taken care of by the great protector (the government) to the detriment of society. Government is rarely better at taking care of me than I am, so I prefer liberty to the false sense of security (I could quote Franklin, the good Roosevelt, Reagan and others, but I will digress).

My problem is that we continue the pacification of our populous through imasculation and indoctrination instead of advancing our societal enlightenment via actual education and public forums where ideas can be exchanged and interaction of a personal nature would take place. If the majority of Americans did not want to own guns, that is their right. The American who does choose to legally own and carry a firearm is not infringing on the non-gun carrying persons rights, however. A law abiding gun owner will not give you "gun-nut syndrome".

And your assumption that I carry a gun is wrong- The only gun I own is a .22 rifle that has not come out of the locked cabinet in 3 years, and only did then to kill the snake that was after my dog.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my take on it. Guns do not in fact, kill people. We've heard that refrain time and time again. However, they do make it easier for anyone, and I mean anyone, to cause death or severe disability with minimal effort. No knife, no club, no pepper spray or tazer, save for maybe an explosive charge, can cause the same damage with the same amount of effort. A six year old with a gun and the element of surprise trumps a Marine anyday of the week and twice on Tuesday. How many people on this board have seen someone's life end or be horribly altered over a stupid arguement when someone was packing heat? People with guns turn a fistfight or shoving match into someone dying, or someone walking with a limp for the rest of their life.

People say they carry guns for self defense purposes. Some of them know what they are doing. Most do not. I wager that most people who carry a firearm cannot accurately state the extreme disadvantage carrying a gun puts you at. I wager most people, who believe that carrying a gun gives them the ultimate power, have never had someone nose to nose with them, screaming "SHOOT ME! SHOOT ME! SHOOT ME!" at which point they realize they really can't do anything.

These laws in Texas, maybe one person will prevent their house from being robbed, but I say, more people will get shot up at bar when they kiss the wrong person, more 6 year olds will die when they jump out of the closet to startle their parents, and more road rage incidents will turn tragic. If the Texas wants to turn itself into Israel, where everyone walks around everyday living their lives in fear, feel free.

Guns are not a means of self defense. Guns are not a deterrent. They are means to apply deadly force, nothing more, nothing less, and for me, I just have never seen the attraction in killing others. Apparently people in Texas and Florida feel differently. Live and let die, as they say.

it amazes me that when we are trying to help save someones life that we have to worry about losing our own.but nothing in todays society surprises me anymore.owning a weapon and knowing how to shot it is one thing but actually doing it is another.you do what you have to to survive but i gotta say that using a weapon doesnt thrill me at all

I do not see any attraction in killing somebody either. I am a live and let live kind of person; however, I value my life and see no problem with using lethal force to protect my life. I do not see increased violence as a result of CCW laws. Perhaps I am incorrect in this assessment.

In addition, states that have CCW laws have many other laws regarding where and how you can carry. For example, you cannot have a weapon in any establishment that serves alcohol. I also think a comprehensive program of instruction is required prior to obtaining a CCW. I agree the use of lethal force should not be taken lightly and the implications of carrying a weapon can be quite severe.

On a side note: My wife and I are alive today in part because where I lived had a CCW law. No, I did not use lethal force; however, I was able to extricate us from a very bad situation without having to use lethal force.

Take care,

chbare.

Chbare, lets be honest. People speed. They run red lights. They drink underage. These things are dangerous, yet we do them all the time. The same rules apply to carrying a firearm, people do what they feel like, when they feel like it, the difference is that generally, when someone does something wrong with a gun, someone is either dead or severely injured. Saying to me "Its ok, cuz see you can't have it an establishment that serves alcohol" does not make me feel any safer about people strapping on their pieces to go clean up the town.

Can all sides agree on a few things here?

1) Typically, it's known/habitual/career criminals that commit an act of violence against others.

Sure, we all hear about the guy that snapped and brought a shotgun to work... THAT is what the news outlets want us to hear/see... because it breeds fear... fear sells papers and makes people watch the news at noon, 5, 6, 7, and 11. When is the last time any major news outlet advocated ANYONE protecting themselves (through the use of a firearm, a pocket knife, fist, or the threat of a papercut)... they just don't. Don't take my word for it, watch the news tonight and tell me how many stories (before sports and weather) do little more than spread fear. Whether it's fear of terrorists attacking, fear of corrupt politicians, fear of criminals, fear of fear!

2) Your typical everyday, law-abiding citizen is called a law-abiding citizen BECAUSE he/she doesn't break the law!

Criminals, by definition, do not obey laws. Laws only effect those that care to obey them. Really now, do you think the guy that is about to rob the local convenience store cares that the firearm he is going to use was banned under the Brady Bill, or NJ's Assault Weapons Act?? Not for a minute! If he cared about not breaking the law, he wouldn't be robbing the store in the first place!!!

3) Since the legal system is more concerned about the rights of those that have been convicted of a crime, than they are about preventing that criminal from violating their next victim's rights... someone has to protect the "every-man"...

Why not protect himself?? Or, more appropriately, why should he not have the option of protecting himself?? Should we HAVE to depend on the police? My experience is that, in the absence of pure luck, the police tend to be more of a historical society than a crime-stopping agency. In the sense that... a crime occurs, the nearest officer is 10 minutes away, he responds as quickly as possible, and proceeds to take a historical account of the crime that just happened. Not to make light of a cop's work but, there just isn't enough of them to be everywhere that everyone is! Be a little self-sufficient, don't be so dependant on others to do FOR you, what you have is yours because YOU earned it... YOU should be willing to defend it! Not to mention being able to defend your person and your loved ones...

Sadly, I'm writing this from smack-dab in the middle of "The Peoples' Democratic Republic of New Jersey." This meaning, myself and MILLIONS of other law-abiding citizens in this state do not enjoy a CCW law favorable to the average joe whose best friend doesn't happen to be a judge...

Asysin2leads, people die when they carelessly drive a vehicle. Most of the trauma we see is blunt in nature. (ie MVC's) We still let people obtain drivers licenses when clearly the outcome of driving carelessly can deadly. In addition, I am still alive and well today. I do not think we can agree on this subject.

Take care,

chbare.

Sure, we all hear about the guy that snapped and brought a shotgun to work... THAT is what the news outlets want us to hear/see... because it breeds fear... fear sells papers and makes people watch the news at noon, 5, 6, 7, and 11.

Oh goody, another person showing signs of paranoia who advocates people carrying firearms. The two just go so well hand in hand don't they? Have you ever read one of the trade magazines put out by the NRA? Talk about fear mongering! Geez, if I were to believe their propaganda, I'd think that there was a gang of mean looking minorities on every street corner, and if I didn't by a new Glock, they were going to burst in and sodomize my entire family. I'd also believe anyone who isn't a member of the Republican party was a card carrying commie bent on turning everyone gay. Buy Black Talon ammunition --- OR ELSE THE GANGBANGERS AND DEMOCRATS WIN!!!

You what's really funny, is in the war on terror, the loud, flag waving gun toting types are the ones doing the most to make sure the terrorists win. From supporting the oil cartels, to making sure that its easier for Muhammed and Akbar to get an assault rifle or sneak a concealed weapon into your neighborhood shopping mall, these reactionary scumbags are the ones who will have the blood on their hands the next time someone decides to strike a blow for Allah. So go ahead, hinder law enforcement more in tracking firearms, load the next Beltway Sniper up with a new Bushmaster, and make sure the terrorists have plenty of money in their pocket, if your loved ones ever die from getting blown up or shot up by an angry turban wearing fellow, be sure to thank those fellows with the belt buckles and the gun rack.

Lets agree on one last thing. The chances of you being killed by criminal, or stopping a criminal act because you are armed, are far, far, far, far, far less than your chances of offing a loved one accidently, shooting yourself accidently, being killed by your own firearm, or going to jail after shooting someone. This is a fact. You will be killed by your wife long before you are killed by those guys with the doorags you see on TV.

Sure, we all hear about the guy that snapped and brought a shotgun to work... THAT is what the news outlets want us to hear/see... because it breeds fear... fear sells papers and makes people watch the news at noon, 5, 6, 7, and 11.

Oh goody, another person showing signs of paranoia who advocates people carrying firearms. The two just go so well hand in hand don't they? Have you ever read one of the trade magazines put out by the NRA? Talk about fear mongering! Geez, if I were to believe their propaganda, I'd think that there was a gang of mean looking minorities on every street corner, and if I didn't by a new Glock, they were going to burst in and sodomize my entire family. I'd also believe anyone who isn't a member of the Republican party was a card carrying commie bent on turning everyone gay. Buy Black Talon ammunition --- OR ELSE THE GANGBANGERS AND DEMOCRATS WIN!!!

You what's really funny, is in the war on terror, the loud, flag waving gun toting types are the ones doing the most to make sure the terrorists win. From supporting the oil cartels, to making sure that its easier for Muhammed and Akbar to get an assault rifle or sneak a concealed weapon into your neighborhood shopping mall, these reactionary scumbags are the ones who will have the blood on their hands the next time someone decides to strike a blow for Allah. So go ahead, hinder law enforcement more in tracking firearms, load the next Beltway Sniper up with a new Bushmaster, and make sure the terrorists have plenty of money in their pocket, if your loved ones ever die from getting blown up or shot up by an angry turban wearing fellow, be sure to thank those fellows with the belt buckles and the gun rack.

Here's what really happens when people carry concealed:

Asysin2leads, I have been respectful and far from paranoid. I have agreed with some of your points and I never mentioned minorities or discussed the middle east in relation to the topic. In addition, I never mentioned my personal view on politics or gun magazines. I think we can disagree and still respect each other.

Take care,

chbare.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.