taking stuff from hospitals ?(lets be honest)

My ambulance service doesn't require me to take blood samples. However, they do not forbid it. So from my point of view I don't see the point in cannulating a pt, taping it down and pushing a flush, just so they can have another needle stuck in them somewhere else to get blood out for the lab. So I acquire the blood sample pots and the kit to draw blood from the cannula from my local A&E. They encourage this as it saves them a job, and it's the kit they would've used anyway, but instead I used it.

Other than that, linen is exchanged on a one-to-one basis, and everything else I need is provided by my service. Often of a higher level of service than I could obtain from my local A&E...of course with the exception of 'drug rep' pens in some very fancy colours, and some very snazzy pink tourniquets...lol.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm forced to over-stock certain items by any means necessary in order to still have enough supplies on the truck given that certain crews refuse to complete the very simple, state-required restock of equipment from the ER.

Also, certain supplies that I know I won't be able to get from my company except during business hours.

The only thing we take is the occasional pillow. Being a volly BLS service with 2 - 3 runs a day, we keep enough supplies on our truck to take 2 or 3 runs back to back. One hospital the next county over, which we dont go to very much, makes ambulance packs. Shrink wrapped blankets, towels, pillow case, and I forget what else is in there. Very handy though.

we have never been told not to take the linens for restocking from the hospitals.and we go to several in the tri county area and not one has complained.maybe the doc just had a bug up the butt or something.

you cant run on an unstocked rig........ as for the rest it should be done at the start of your shift.we are required to check over everything as well as our crew chief /shift super who checks after we do to see if anything was missed.......theres no excuse for an unstocked ,unready ambulance

it is unfair to u,your crew and the patient who is counting on you to be able to perform whatever they need done when you have them in the rig

Funny thing you ask! I leave the sheets at the hospital..... eeeewww! And if it ain't bolted to the ground and has a sticker on it is..... MINE!

[align=center:1fce6c2060]"HONEST SQUINTS SLIGHTLY USED HOSPITAL EQUIPMENT"

Looking for franchise distributers.

Well I have to retire some day don't I?[/align:1fce6c2060]

j/k

Seriously in a past facility where I worked some one "and most likely an inside job" ripped off a complete Cardiac Cath Lab...including monitors, computers +++, If I would have caught them it would have been rounds of SUX for all ....and no ETT. I hate thieves, just imagine if your Mother had been waiting for 3 months to get her pipes checked?

cheers

I do have one scrub shirt... and it is older than most of the members on EMT city.

Holy crapola, how the heck did they get away with an entire cath lab. Didn't someone notice or was it done in one night?

If it happened over a period of time then serves em right for not putting a camera or something in the lab to catch those creeps. I say Sux and a large dose of Niacin to cause the hot flash. paralyze them, breath for them but make em feel the flash.

Holy crapola, how the heck did they get away with an entire cath lab. Didn't someone notice or was it done in one night?

If it happened over a period of time then serves em right for not putting a camera or something in the lab to catch those creeps. I say Sux and a large dose of Niacin to cause the hot flash. paralyze them, breath for them but make em feel the flash.

Oh yea an over night job, they put in a cam after but all they caught was an MD and an RN....er... being very "frendly" after hours, but that is another story...ever see the Sharon Stone thing in the parking lot with Micheal Douglas....opps outside voice again.

cheers

We take fresh linen from the hospitals and leave them our dirty ones, but that is an agreement with the hospital that the EMS have round here,aside from that no we don't take anything.

Btw Jersey shore medical center in Neptune is the one that has the linen prepared, shrink wrapped, by the ER entrance.

Whatever you do just make sure you don't swipe any Inhalers.

http://www.firefightingnews.com/article.cfm?articleID=28073[web:19a5c80077]http://www.firefightingnews.com/article.cfm?articleID=28073[/web:19a5c80077]

ok it's black and white

If you have to take from the hospital to make sure your truck is stocked then you are still stealing - what happens if you take from the hospital and use that equipment on a patient that goes to another hospital? Isn't that stealing?

If you take stuff from a hospital and use it for your personal use then it's stealing.

Why is there a question about this?

The hospital we go to replaces all our supplies used through the pixsis. Everything from C-collars to catheters, we can get there. I admit to taking the occasional pair of gloves ( they use the sterling gloves, ours are the blue. A different feel to them IMHO).

Usually, it is the ED nurses stealing my pens! :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.