Idea for safer responses

living reasonably close to both UVG and Angloco plants at present I tend to see odd glimpses of quite a few of the UK's new Emergency vehicles a current vogue for ambulances is notto have grille ligths but have dash lights - the whole eye levle thing - and 'corner' lights at bumper level ( so they are visible when you poke the nose ofthe vehicleout of a junction...

realistically driver training needs to be there - at least an advanced / defensive driving course and some supervised mileage building for none emererncy drivers and for emergency drivers that plus some instructed mileage building with a proper emergency driver trainer over at least acouple of days if not a week or more - much in the way that the added up time for most Uk emergency drivers is somewhere between 2 and half and four weeks of driver training

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

living reasonably close to both UVG and Angloco plants at present I tend to see odd glimpses of quite a few of the UK's new Emergency vehicles a current vogue for ambulances is notto have grille ligths but have dash lights - the whole eye levle thing - and 'corner' lights at bumper level ( so they are visible when you poke the nose ofthe vehicleout of a junction...

realistically driver training needs to be there - at least an advanced / defensive driving course and some supervised mileage building for none emergency drivers and for emergency drivers that plus some instructed mileage building with a proper emergency driver trainer over at least a couple of days if not a week or more - much in the way that the added up time for most Uk emergency drivers is somewhere between 2 and half and four weeks of driver training

A bit of a pet peeve of mine...

Would suggest all of the above, plus:

I also agree with the mimum 25-year-old age limit, with clean license etc.

Sorry to be a party-pooper, but there are too many numpties driving emergency vehicles IMO, and it needs-a-fixin' seeeee! :protest:

I arn't for the whole 25 year old thing, but I understand the reasoning. With EMT-B taking only one semester of school, and EMT-B primary being the one who drives where I come from I see a slight issue. EMT-B are probably in many cases going to be under 25. So we have to wait till were 25 to enter the EMS world. Could always go straight to paramedic. However I don't know about the most of you but I would like to get some EMT-B experience in the field before I go ahead and make the commitment to 2 years of medic school.

I work as an ER Tech so I don't do any driving but I sure do observe many ambulances as I live by a hospital. I was on my way to school one day and heard sirens in the background so I looked around and saw nothing at first. Continued to look, it was day light and I noticed an ambulance approaching from behind with no lights on so I continue to look as I didn't think it was that vehicle, maybe from the other side of the road. Well sure enough it was that ambulance. I was on the far left lane and couldn't move to the right till the others at the stop light did. This slow the ambulance down greatly. Once it got past the stop light it turn on its lights. I think they must of forgot them. The lights play a big role in the whole lights and siren thing.

Your idea sounds great. Would love to see it in place, along with all the other things on ambulances like lights and sirens.

I think the solution is to enforce two concepts above all.

1.) Always yield to the other driver. You are the trained professional, they are not. You are supposed to be educated in driving safely, and a better driver.

2.) Arriving to the scene one minute later is acceptable, if it gets you there in one piece.

Driver training is a good idea and should be done in any company.

I am not so sure on the concept of minimum ages for driving. Approximately half of my current company are under 25 years of age, and we have had two vehicle accidents this year. Neither were associated with driving emergency traffic. One accident was a drunk driver going in excess of 50 broadsiding an ambulance. The other was someone clipping the side of a toll booth.

I think the best way to handle is emergency driving (and driving in general) is to mentor your employees in it and hold them accountable. The rest will work itself out.

EMT-B are probably in many cases going to be under 25. So we have to wait till were 25 to enter the EMS world. Could always go straight to paramedic.
I whole-heartedly agree with this concept.

As for the driving thing, I agree with the above posters. Along with the mandatory 3 week EVOC, the first day of class should include being strapped to a LSB and on the strecther. Just to see what the pt. feels like in the back.

We had one of the local VFD chiefs drive us in the other day. What a horrifying experience! Never again will he ever, repeat ever be aloud to set foot in our ambulance again. In the short ( approx. 6 miles ) trip to the ED, 3 times we had to tell him to slow down , and at least that many times to not break so hard. Meh, whackers :roll: .

I think the solution is to enforce two concepts above all.

1.) Always yield to the other driver. You are the trained professional, they are not. You are supposed to be educated in driving safely, and a better driver.

Are they suppose to yield to the ambulance. I see this a bit confusing. I mean if I did drive which I don't yet I will always assume that the drivers have not seen or heard me until they are fully over to the right and out of my way therefore yielding to me. Until than I will keep my distance and yield to them. Is this what you mean?

Yes, that is what it means. never assume unless you are assuming the negative. The fact that the statement confused you is evidence of why the age should be 25 to operate emergency vehicles.

The only purpose that lights serve is to allow us to park where we would otherwise be ticketed for.

We are a volly service. As such we cant be AS picky as other places. But we have a good training program in place. There are three phases you have to complete before you can get behind the wheel. First you have to ride in the front and in the back a certian number of times. Not only to get you oriented to the ambulance, but you also get an idea of operations and how to be an effective crew member even if you are just a first responder or FF. Second you have to do an amount of rides in a non-emergent non-paitent status. To show you can drive the ambulance and are comfortable with it. All of these have paperwork documenting them as well. Third, you drive full calls, with a trainer next to you. Once you have done a certian amount of those, and everyone you have driven feels comfortable with you then you are released. Unless I get my hands on you, then you are put through the driving school of Brent, where someone gets in the front, drives like a jackass and I make you do compressions, bag a dummy, and other skills in the back, and lay on the cot. Then you know why NOT to drive like a jackass.

I'm not quite sure of the name of the guy who invented the technology, but someone from Texas created the technology which gets implanted into the car's stock radio and when it detects certain noise levels its shuts the music off and alerts the driver of an oncoming emergency vehicle. It looked very promising but havent heard anything since. I would love it. :). And the whole age thing is bogus. I'm 21 and can drive better then most 30 yr olds in my service. Most pepople prefer me over someone else because of that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.