KED - Leg Straps

Which way?  

27 members have voted

1. 1.

• Crossover
    • Same Side

If faced with that 'sight', I would do My best to get all the information I could (without putting the crew in a position of violating HIPAA rules), then turned them in to the County Medical Control Board, as well as the State Licensing Division!

After they pulled in, the crew went into the ER, brought out a stretcher, put a backboard on it from the EMS equipment area, and had the first patient hop on, then wheeled him in. Repeated 5 times. That way all patients arrived in the ER "on a board," and was documented as such. :roll:

Classic Urban Union Fire Department in a state where nobody's paying attention. DOH doesn't have the cajones to take them on anyway. The Advisory Board also has I believe 3 union-appointed members, required by law (unions own the state legistlature, don'tcha know).

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn! Since when does union negotation supercede State protocols?

I believe that we as PROFESSIONAL EMS workers, have a committment to patient care that outweighs any obligation to another service, even if we are 'on the same side'!

If the hospital isn't going to report these half-assed EMTs ( and I use the term loosely here), then it should be the responsibility of the witnesses to make a stand. These knuckleheads need to have their licenses removed PERMANTENTLY!

As I type this, I am in EMT-B refresher class, so it is very much in my head.

FDNY EMS uses the Iron Duck Extrication Appliance (IDEA). Looks like the KEDs, but the straps are removable for keeping the device clean from blood-borne pathogens: they get dirty, replace them. Cheaper than replacing the entire unit.

Policy is as follows:

1) Manual Head stabilization

2) C-collar

3) Pulse/Motor/Sensory all extremities

4) IDEA put behind patient

5) Top, middle bottom color coded straps applied and tightened

6) Leg straps applied, crossing the groin with abdominal pads used as padding for the "family jewels"

7) Head flaps, head strap, chin strap

8) Pulse/Motor/Sensory all extremities

I may have left some out.

In the classroom, then verbalize that you would transfer the patient, in the IDEA, to a long spinal board, secure the patient to the board with appropriate straps, secure the head area using a head-bed device IN ADDITION TO THE IDEA, and reevaluate the patient while on the way to the hospital. Oh, and loosten the leg straps, so the patient could lie with their legs flat to the Long Spinal board.

When we used to use the KEDs, we had 2 phrases re the belts, "My Baby Looks Hot Tonight," and "Marlon Brando Licks His Toes", for Middle, Bottom, Legs, Head, Top straps. I always joked that the phrases were My Baby Licks Her Toes, or Marlon Brando Looks Hot Tonight, which had me accused of having "issues" by some of the instructors, not realizing I was joking.

When I was in EMT-B class, we were taught that there was additional padding placed under the 3 straps across the torso as well as in the groin area.

I almost got failed in my state practical testing, because the 'partner' they put me with for the KED station REFUSED to pad the sternum/torso straps. He stated, "The patient don't have tits, they don't need any extra padding!". I immediately stepped away from the scenario, stating my objections to the proctor. The proctor asked me how I would do things 'differently', to which I stated the process that I had been taught in class. Needless to say, I passed the station, where my 'partner' (although I had 'coached' him as much as I possibly could) didn't.

I didn't feel any remorse, as we had sat through the same class night after night, and he knew better!

My instructor was great, and because of him, I walked out of the State practical exams (done to NR standards) with a 92%.

I guess he wasn't kidding when he said on the first day of class: "Compared to the State test, mine is gonna be a BITCH!"

Damn! Since when does union negotation supercede State protocols?

Negotiation isn't really the issue. It's that unions influence this state in ways I can't begin to describe here. You really have to live and work in the system to understand it.

I believe that we as PROFESSIONAL EMS workers, have a committment to patient care that outweighs any obligation to another service, even if we are 'on the same side'!

If the hospital isn't going to report these half-assed EMTs ( and I use the term loosely here), then it should be the responsibility of the witnesses to make a stand. These knuckleheads need to have their licenses removed PERMANTENTLY!

The last time, years ago, that our main receiving hospital made an issue of patient care, the department in question ran around town picking up every single drunk they could find and hauling them in. They'd get released, and brought right back. It wasn't just drunks either. I don't think any other hospital in town took in a patient while this was going on.

This went on for several hours until the hospital cried uncle and promised not to make an issue of whatever it was that they had a problem with.

Assuming anybody else reports a member of these fire departments, it would have to be either a volunteer or an employee of a private service. Since 75-80% of both of these groups are at any given time attempting to get hired by a paid fire department, none of them are going to be the ones to blow the whistle.

Even if they did, it's their word against a run report that documents "board and collar." The ER staff aren't going to remember who does it right and who doesn't.

And the beat goes on. Like I said, you'd have to work here to really get it. I'm not saying its right, it just is.

CBEMT,

Not only is this service incompetent, but unprofessional as well. I for one would be documenting things as best as I can, and then making an 'anonymous' call to the county med control, or the state. I mean, what can that service do to you?

I know all about unions, as I grew up in a GM (General Motors) town. My father worked for them for 30 years. I was even a UAW member for a while.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.