KED - Leg Straps

Which way?  

27 members have voted

1. 1.

• Crossover
    • Same Side

I was also taught that the KED is just a tool to get the person out of the enclosed space while still maintaining an inline spine with a minimum of movement. And that once the patient was out of the enclosed space they needed to be put on a LSB to fully imbolize the patient. With the KED the legs are left to move and wiggle which can manipulate the spine, at least that was how it was explained, and when you place on a LSB and 8 the feet you keep the legs from moving.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I attach them to the same side - it's the way I was taught. I've never seen them crossed and attached to opposite sides. This tool is still very useful - some folks might forget they have it on their unit when it could be utilized quite often. I used it just a few days ago on an MVC. The patient had COPD and needed to be immobilized. How long do you think he would have tolerated or survived being on a LSB?

I'm sorry, i'm at a bit confused. You say you at a paramedic, but you didn't know that the patient who is in a KED is supposed to be secured to a Long board with straps and head immobilizers, after being removed from a vehicle ???????????

Seems to be basic C-spine 101 to me...

As for how you would immobilize a COPD patient, you could secure them to a LSB, then place padding, pillows, or trauma bags under the head to elevate the patient. FYI..

We were taught that you should strap on the same side. Then our local protocols require that we lower him on to the LSB and then release the leg straps and c-spine the patient to the bored with an X across the chest and on across the pelvis.

Now on a side note during our practical exam one of my partners was in the KED and we lifted and rotated him on to the LSB the lead then proceeded to pull his legs down with out undoing the grain straps the guy had a voice about an octave higher after that.

We were taught to criss cross the straps. After the extrication the patient is moved to a long board and secured with the chest and waist straps crossed also. We were also taught that although the KED provides support and stabilation, it does not offer enough for transport.

Under Michigan protocols, you would apply the KED in the vehicle, attaching the leg straps on the same side, then move the pt to a LSB, where the leg straps would be unhooked so the pt could be laid supine. Then the LSB is secured to the cot for transport.

Although it may be a redundancy in tx, a C-collar is applied before the KED.

I agree, the KED IS the most underutilized piece of equipment on the rig. Most crews don't want to be 'bothered' by applying it, especially if the pt is A&O x 4.

But in this current mentality of ABC = Ambulate Before Carry, I see the crews just getting lazy in their protocols and treatments. In my opinion, that's just BEGGING for a malpractice or Gross Negligence suit!

From some of the things I've been told about how people actually apply the KED (IF they use it), those same people seem to think that a cervical collar is redundant, because the KED also 'has the 'flaps' to help manage C-spine.'

Personally speaking though, if I deem a pt needs spinal precautions in place, they get the whole run of spinal precautions.

(ie: c-collar, KED (if applicable) and LSB)

I have seen EMT's (I decline to list the work place) that have walked a pt to the cot from the vehicle that they were extricated from with a c-collar in place.

If I suspect from the MOI, that a pt MIGHT have a spinal issue, they're in for the whole shooting match of spinal precautions available to me!

Some would call this 'overkill', I call it looking out for the pts best interest.

From some of the things I've been told about how people actually apply the KED (IF they use it), those same people seem to think that a cervical collar is redundant, because the KED also 'has the 'flaps' to help manage C-spine.'

Well, clearly, these people are morons.

I have seen EMT's (I decline to list the work place) that have walked a pt to the cot from the vehicle that they were extricated from with a c-collar in place.

You really haven't lived till you've seen an ambulance back into the ER with 5 patients sitting in the back of the truck, all wearing collars.

Well, clearly, these people are morons.

I couldn't agree more! It is mandated through state and local protocols that we carry these tools ( ie C-Collars, KED, LSB, etc) for a reason! Their use is mandated through the same state and local protocols for the benefit of the pt, therefore with any variation from that mandated practice, you should be held not only liable financially, but criminally negligent in ALL cases.

You really haven't lived till you've seen an ambulance back into the ER with 5 patients sitting in the back of the truck, all wearing collars.

If faced with that 'sight', I would do My best to get all the information I could (without putting the crew in a position of violating HIPAA rules), then turned them in to the County Medical Control Board, as well as the State Licensing Division!

Personally i love this piece of equip. I have always done the straps on the same side. The best call i had with the ked was an infant that fell off the change table. She fit right in and because you can wrap the sides right around it stopped any movement. You have to use zap straps instead of the ked straps in the instance. Anyways use when ever possible.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.