KED - Leg Straps

Which way?  

27 members have voted

1. 1.

• Crossover
    • Same Side

Now I was taught that it's all personal preference. I like using the same side, but I have seen some of our instructors do both. It would probably be really undercomfortable for male patients to criss cross, but then again, the KED is already uncomfortable as it is.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I attach them to the same side - it's the way I was taught. I've never seen them crossed and attached to opposite sides. This tool is still very useful - some folks might forget they have it on their unit when it could be utilized quite often. I used it just a few days ago on an MVC. The patient had COPD and needed to be immobilized. How long do you think he would have tolerated or survived being on a LSB?

I attach them to the same side - it's the way I was taught. I've never seen them crossed and attached to opposite sides. This tool is still very useful - some folks might forget they have it on their unit when it could be utilized quite often. I used it just a few days ago on an MVC. The patient had COPD and needed to be immobilized. How long do you think he would have tolerated or survived being on a LSB?

Do you not have to still secure them to the LSB?

Im assuming an LSB won't stand vertically with a pt strapped to it in transit :wink:

I'm having a hard time putting that picture in my head - a patient sitting upright on the stretcher in the KED and a LSB in behind them. I don't think it would fit in the truck unless you had about 7 feet worth of headroom. :wink:

When I use the KED or XP1 - I just secure them to the device and move them to the stretcher. I might use a LSB to assist with moving the patient or sliding them onto the stretcher but once the patient is on the cot, there's no use for the LSB. The KED/XP1 is substituing for the LSB and keeping them immobilzed without putting them in a supine position. Does that make sense?

I'm having a hard time putting that picture in my head - a patient sitting upright on the stretcher in the KED and a LSB in behind them. I don't think it would fit in the truck unless you had about 7 feet worth of headroom. :wink:

When I use the KED or XP1 - I just secure them to the device and move them to the stretcher. I might use a LSB to assist with moving the patient or sliding them onto the stretcher but once the patient is on the cot, there's no use for the LSB. The KED/XP1 is substituing for the LSB and keeping them immobilzed without putting them in a supine position. Does that make sense?

I agree that it makes sense... I just know that I wouldn't be able to get away with doing that here.

But everywhere is different.

The website for the KODE2 includes directions on how to use the KED for a standing takedown... why bother using it at all, doesn't a long spine board work just as well/better in that situation?
I would agree that with a standing take down, it would be easier and perhaps safer to use the LSB.

I agree that it makes sense... I just know that I wouldn't be able to get away with doing that here.

But everywhere is different.

Can you explain the way you immobilize a patient using the KED? Where does the LSB come into play?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.