Ambulance with back door cot lift?

spenac

Do you feel that a cot lift would be helpful?  

39 members have voted

1. 1.

• 1. Yes
    • 2. No

AMR in dallas has a retro fitted ambulance that they have ramps on and a winch at the base of the captains chair and a modified stryker.

i like the ramp idea, maybe rear door that comes down as a ramp like a small cargo trailer or a pull out ramp like on a u-haul truck. the lift aspect is really expensive and heavy and just alor more engineering to the truck which = more money.

Have you seen the ramp and winch in action? I'm curious. I have seen pictures of this before and it seems to take quite some time to load the pt. It might have some merit in a convolesent transport, however, in a emergent situation the ramp and winch would seem to delay transport.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone aware of any ambulances in the US being made with a back door that lowers kinda like a tommy lift that you can roll the cot onto, then lifts cot so it can just be pushed into the ambulance? In an EMS mag some time back saw a pic of one from England (I think) that had a door that would do this. Can't find it now to show the companys we deal with. Seems like would be a nice addition to an ambulance especially with all the obese patients. Any ideas? If any one has used something like this does it work or more trouble than help? Thanks for the input.

Searched but did not find a discussion like this. If missed it sorry.

A number of the Ambulance service trusts in the UK are now using rear taillifts, the biggest user of them is London Ambulance, The offside is a Lift and the n/s is a door

there has been a few reports of the lifts braking down but on the whole the Ambulance crews love them.

Also the other type on UK ambulances are ramps which are manually or electrically operated.

I am unshure how to post images however http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/index.htm has a verity of current and older UK ambulances which will give you some idear of the different ramps and tail lifts available. I hope thats of use to you.

Thats great will show our supplier and see if he can get the manufacture to consider doing a lift similiar. Thanks for your help.

I was looking at the pic of the strecher elevator/lift, and have a question: As the device seems as narrow as the strecher being lifted/lowered, and has been described as being slow, Where do the technicians stand while doing CPR while the lifting/lowering is in progress?

My biggest concern, how do you get the pt from the house to the ambulance? There is alot more lifting and moving in that trip then there is the controlled entry to the back of the rig. Unless you can park this thing in the living room? Some drivers I guess..........

My biggest concern, how do you get the pt from the house to the ambulance? There is alot more lifting and moving in that trip then there is the controlled entry to the back of the rig. Unless you can park this thing in the living room? Some drivers I guess..........
There are wheels on the stretcher. It operates just like a regular one, only that it's wider. :roll:

:roll:

I knew that much.....

Have you ever lifted a stretcher down porch steps, over curbs, across a grassy front yard, snow drifts, ect.... that is what i am referring to.

.... a strecher with out wheels... :|

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.