Ambulance with back door cot lift?

spenac

Do you feel that a cot lift would be helpful?  

39 members have voted

1. 1.

• 1. Yes
    • 2. No

Is anyone aware of any ambulances in the US being made with a back door that lowers kinda like a tommy lift that you can roll the cot onto, then lifts cot so it can just be pushed into the ambulance? In an EMS mag some time back saw a pic of one from England (I think) that had a door that would do this. Can't find it now to show the companys we deal with. Seems like would be a nice addition to an ambulance especially with all the obese patients. Any ideas? If any one has used something like this does it work or more trouble than help? Thanks for the input.

Searched but did not find a discussion like this. If missed it sorry.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are lifts that are being installed in trucks for obese patients only, however I think that if they are installed on trucks that are for everyday use, then we are going to see a lot of weaker EMT's and Medics out there and that is not a good thing. I deal with a squad that has some people on it that are always asking for help lifting because they "can't do it". If you can't lift 75 pounds or so by yourself then you have no place on the ambulance, in my opinion of course.

If you can't lift 75 pounds or so by yourself then you have no place on the ambulance, in my opinion of course.

That would be okay if the "normal " patient weighed only 150 pounds, but many patients weigh over 300 to 500 pounds, so one would have to be able to lift 200 pounds or more. Anything, that would promote back injury prevention would be great. Not lifting repetitiously and asking for assistance prevents back injuries, which is the number one on the job injury in EMS.

R/r 911

My company has a few non-dedicated units with isolette lifts for use as backup for our dedicated children's hospital units. I've heard that those lifts could be used as a gurney lift as well, but I've never seen it put into practice and the lifts look too small for a full size gurney.

My company has a few non-dedicated units with isolette lifts for use as backup for our dedicated children's hospital units. I've heard that those lifts could be used as a gurney lift as well, but I've never seen it put into practice and the lifts look too small for a full size gurney.

The one in the pic had 1 of the back doors was actually the lift and would lift the cot with patient on it.

There are lifts that are being installed in trucks for obese patients only, however I think that if they are installed on trucks that are for everyday use, then we are going to see a lot of weaker EMT's and Medics out there and that is not a good thing. I deal with a squad that has some people on it that are always asking for help lifting because they "can't do it". If you can't lift 75 pounds or so by yourself then you have no place on the ambulance, in my opinion of course.

Avg adult patient is now more than 150#'s (even lot's of the ladys that say they're lighter, though will never say they lie :roll: ) and then you have to add weight of cot. And lot's of patient's over 200#'s. 75 X 2 = 150#'s. Definitly would help stop injurys.

I have lifted a 450+ pound patient with just one other person. If people would learn to use the stretcher to their advantage and evenly distribute the weight it would not be a problem. Try this. The next time you lift a person on the stretcher, instead of lifting from the "traditional" head to toe position, stand on the side of the stretcher. There is a handle on the side to release the wheels there. You and one other person can lift a much heavier weight by lifting in this side position then you can the other way. You are using the physics of the stretcher and your legs better in this position. Let me know what you think after you try this.

I have lifted a 450+ pound patient with just one other person. If people would learn to use the stretcher to their advantage and evenly distribute the weight it would not be a problem. Try this. The next time you lift a person on the stretcher, instead of lifting from the "traditional" head to toe position, stand on the side of the stretcher. There is a handle on the side to release the wheels there. You and one other person can lift a much heavier weight by lifting in this side position then you can the other way. You are using the physics of the stretcher and your legs better in this position. Let me know what you think after you try this.

Horrible advise :shock: DISCLAIMER - Do not attempt unless you place no value on your extremities or your career!

The release on the side of both the ferno and stryker were designed to lower the stretcher with one attendant (without a patient!), not as a primary means of lifting. There is not a safe position to place your hands without worrying about losing some fingers and that particular handle's locking mechanism is not designed to withstand this type of use. Get some extra help and do it right...

OR...................

Get a Stryker Power Pro. Simplicity with the push of a button...............Can lift up to 750lbs....

Horrible advise :shock: DISCLAIMER - Do not attempt unless you place no value on your extremities or your career!

The release on the side of both the ferno and stryker were designed to lower the stretcher with one attendant (without a patient!), not as a primary means of lifting. There is not a safe position to place your hands without worrying about losing some fingers and that particular handle's locking mechanism is not designed to withstand this type of use. Get some extra help and do it right...

OR...................

Get a Stryker Power Pro. Simplicity with the push of a button...............Can lift up to 750lbs....

Recently got the stryker power pro great cot, but still have final lift into ambulance. Still think a door lift could prolong many medics backs in ems. As far as lifting w/o extra help sadly we have to do it to often here, but still think should be a better safer way for me and my partner thats why I am trying to learn about lift doors. Thanks

450 pounds is too heavy to lift with two people period, unless you only have the two to lift you have to get help.

But lifting from the side is not good science either, it's a good way to get your feet crushed.

There is no real good way to lift someone over 400 pounds without help

But remember, you already have to lift 200 or so pounds just by keeping yourself upright. Then you add 400 pounds of patient and 100 pounds and we are up to nearly 1000 pounds. It's amazing aint it

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.