Prayer with patients

Feel moved to pray with the patient? Do so. Feel moved to pray without the patient? See Dust's quote above. Prayer not something you do? Don't.

I completely agree that our care lacks that element... it doesn't necessarily mean making yourself more vulnerable, the way I look at it. You're tapping into another source of strength, that is, the strength that connecting with the Higher Power as you understand it gives you and your patient. All of a sudden, it's not just you and the patient in the back of the rig... which eases the burden some. I have no problem praying with anyone.

I pray before I go out on every call. I pray for my partners' and my protection, and for the safety of those we encounter, and for the well being of the patient and those who care about them and for them.

It takes about 10 seconds and can be done silently... "God be with us, keep us safe, help us to do our duty and to help those who need us most now. Protect those with us and around us, and grant us Your grace. In the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, Amen".

Ruff, I gotta say.. you need to PM me about something that happened recently with me. I think you'll understand it and get a kick out of it. :lol:

Wendy

CO EMT-B

MI EMT-B

Roman Catholic

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a religious person and i do not believe in some realigions. And i hate discussing it with people i do not know but as far as saying a prayer with a patient i will not do that. If they want to say a prayer i will not say anything during there "prayer time" if time allots.

I am a religous person and this was a disscussion I had a little over a year ago with my pastor.

The answer he gave me was simple

no matter what their beliefs if I feel compelled to pray over them do so.

If they ask use my discretion

My one lead instructor for basic prays as he is gettin his gloves on enroute to the call EVERY TIME

I think this is a personal decision and differs for each and every one of us

No matter what you believe the patients well being and condition should be taken into consideration

If the patient is going south you can be almost guaranteed a chaplin will be there for last rights in the er if requested so why whould you feel any different to pray over that person if felt compelled to do so

If it were you and you were that religious wouldn't you want the people attending you to pray with/for you?

Put yourself in the patients shoes

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.