Prayer with patients

I'm full of useful topics today.

So when is it appropriate to pray with a patient?

When they ask?

Do you ask them if they would like to pray?

Just when is it appropriate?

Discuss

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends upon the situation. I don't mind, if they ask or I will tell them, that they will be in my prayers. If they act if they want further intervention, I will ask if they would like prayer. As a Christian, it does not bother me and in fact actually makes feel honored, that they would allow me into their emotional and personal space.

Unfortunately, EMS does not even address patient's spirituality aspect. Please, do not confuse spirituality and religion, or denomination as being the same. Again, another one of our poor aspects and lack of understanding of patient care.

Spirituality and even beliefs maybe just as important as anything emotional and physical to a patient. Although, we may not be with the patient very long, or the event may not present an opportunity, we should recognize the emotional needs of our patients. This might be even informing staff to notify Chaplain services, to see that it is covered. (Ironically, I had to write a thesis on this) Less than 20% of admissions into hospital lack addressing patients' spirituality, which 80% of patient's believe is essential in their healing process.

I don't believe that we have to "preach" and definitely not stop the treatment processes, but to address their needs would not be hard. This can be done quickly and diplomatically by addressing their request.. If it is a severe case, I will inform them, I usually tell them ..."I am already saying a prayer, while I take care of you" (which is the truth).. This usually satisfies their needs at the time, and allows me to continue with my treatment.

R/r 911

This is a fantastic topic. I have had no problem praying with a patient that asks me. I will not ask a patient if they would like to pray, as some people are terribly uncomfortable when you mention anything to do with God to them.

The area I live in is predominantly Baptist and Pentecostal. I'm Catholic. Although all Christian, those religions are honestly night and day. If a patient asks me to pray with them, I'll generally ask them if they would lead the prayer, and I'll hold their hand (Baptists love to hold hands in prayer) and give an "Amen" at the end of their prayer. I've been lucky enough to never been asked to be involved in a prayer that wasn't Christian in nature. In all honesty, I'm unsure I would be able to pray with a person that believed in a different higher power then I did without compromising my own beliefs. I would sit with them as they prayed. I wonder how a non-Christian would react to a Christian that asked them for prayer.

Of course, all of this is dependant on the length of prayer and if it's feasible to stop what I'm doing to engage in prayer without endangering my patient or delaying transfer to definitive care.

I have been known to personally contact Pastoral Services for patients and families at the ER. A physician or nurse can't dedicate a large amount of time to a family while trying to take care of a patient. A Chaplain can remain with the family for as long as they are needed, and families in crisis often appreciate the comfort.

I think a large part of being a good provider is being able to meet the total needs of the patient. Sometimes the often forgotten spiritual need is as great as the medical need.

I wonder how a non-Christian would react to a Christian that asked them for prayer.

Non-Christians would not so much be the challange as would be the non-religious.

Most religions, including Islam, pray to God just like you do. They just address Him by His name, instead of His title. And they don't pray in Jesus' name. Everything else is essentially the same. Same God. And, of course, what you are asking God for would be the same. Speaking for Muslims, it would be an act of love for any person to pray for them, and they would be honoured.

On the other hand, the non-religious atheist could really care less, as he does not recognise a higher power.

As for what is appropriate, I would concur that it is probably only appropriate when asked directly by the patient, without prompting. However, if it is your nature to pray for your patient, then it is appropriate to do so silently, without making a Broadway production out of it. Religion is between you and Allah. You do not have to speak aloud to be heard.

I feel it's always appropriate if the patient asks you to, though not always appropriate for us to bring it up in between history and vitals. I pray silently for some every once in awhile. I figure my job is to do what I can for my patient, if praying with them is going to help them, then I would.

Im a newbie around here. And have only been doing this around a year, I know my experience, the pt's who have prayed while in the ambulance with me are usually the older ladies that love to hold on to your hand as well. I have no problem with holding their hands and I have no problem with joining them spiritually in the prayer. I am a Christian and I know that there is alot of power beyond what we have to offer. I don't think it is right to straight up ask if they want to pray with me or not. I always try to remember my pt's because I know there was a reason I happened to be their EMT that day.

I was in an MVA several years ago where I had a compression fx to my t-5 vertebra. One of the EMT's was a minister and he sat in the back with me and held my hand during transport. He asked if I believed in God and I told him yes. He then offered to pray with me and we did. He also went one step further and visited me in the hospital a few times while I was a patient there after the accident. I was grateful for the offering of prayer and felt a certain calmness during one of the most terrifying times of my life.

I would certainly pray with my patient if that was their desire. Almost during any call, I say a little private something to God to guide my hands and help me through the call. I use prayer frequently whether it is said aloud or kept in my mind.

I think a large part of being a good provider is being able to meet the total needs of the patient. Sometimes the often forgotten spiritual need is as great as the medical need.

Absolutely + 5 for this comment.

Simple Respect.....for your patients needs ..... whatever their beliefs not yours.

Muslum, Buddist, Shinto, Judaism, United, Baptist, Petacostal,(sp), Catholic, Navaho or Cree.

Riddle me this:

What religion does not believe in a higher power?

BUT Quoting Dust:

As for what is appropriate, I would concur that it is probably only appropriate when asked directly by the patient, without prompting. However, if it is your nature to pray for your patient, then it is appropriate to do so silently, without making a Broadway production out of it. Religion is between you and Allah.

You do not have to speak aloud to be heard.[/

cheers

What religion does not believe in a higher power?

Hmm.. this is almost a trick question. There are belief systems that do not believe in a higher power, however, because of that, they would not really be religions. Atheism is, by definition, not a religion.

I'll take Secular Humanism for the win.

let me tell you a little story about a patient I transported one day

She was an 18 year old who suffered a life threatening condition which required a liver transplant. When I transported her to the transplant center she was on deaths door and was number 1 in the nation on the liver wait list.

She asked me in the ambulance if I believed in God and i said yes. She then asked me if I believed that she would go to heaven. I said, I couldn't tell her that because only God knew.

she then said something that I will never never never in a hundred years say

"That person at the end of the seat next to you says I will"

I asked who she was referring to and she pointed to the end of the ambulance bench seat and said "The angel at the end of the seat, can't you see him?"

I said I could not but I had felt some sort of presence or a feeling that there was someone in the ambulance and I had felt that presence since we had been toned out.

Three days later she passed away waiting for the liver that she was needing.

Her funeral was one of the only 3 funerals I've ever attended as a medic.

I still get goosebumps and shivers when I think of her.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.