What Would A Paid Employeer Like To See On EMT Resume?

Pro_EMT

Awwww, you guys beat me to it.

ANyways, yes the question is what are you considering a save?

12 ROSC calls that survived to discharge is quite incredulous, especially at age 17 and on an all BLS possibly volunteer squad.

You have yet to answer the questions I posed to you earlier in this thread. Knowing those figures would help me appreciate your situation, especially # calls ran and units utilized.

There are members here who have been in EMS as long as you have been alive, I am almost there. I have worked in some very busy systems with very mixed demographics and a wide array of situations and I can not claim 12 saves to my name.

DO yourself a favor and look at the research, especially the stuff put out by the AHA and tell me what they say about "saves".

How often do they occur and how often does the person survive to discharge with all neuro intact and return to the same quality of life they had before the arrest.

Now all of this is a moot point if your definition of a save is they got a pulse back before you cleared the ER. Regardless, to list such a thing as an accomplishment is a profound display of immaturity and lack of professionalism.

SOmeone else said it earlier and I will repeat...your employer was probably being nice and was quietly thinking you are an idiot or very naieve. I will just assume the latter.

We are not here to destroy you or discredit you but please note you do not need to put the fluff in our nutter sandwiches or anyone elses for that matter.

***When applying for a job, let your education and presentation of character do the impressing and securing of the job.***

Clearly it comes down to what you think is a CPR save. Very rarely will a CPR save pt. not sustain the same quality life as they did before. I happen to work in an area were we have a high elderly population. Therefore we average roughly and this is a statistic by my captain 2 CPR jobs per month.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree what is a save, and I think that this is going to be addresses by all in the thread that asks just that. However, I work in a similar demographic area and can tell you that sure we see a lot of "saves (return of spontaneous circulation) at the ER but they never make it out of the ER. I think that this should be tabled until we come to a consensus about what a save truly is, and then revisit this.

Pro_EMT:

I don't think your listening here, the advice your recieving is from true veterans, just try arguing a point of conjecture in an interview and learn a lesson plain and simple......hello!

Quoting the Village Idiot:

***When applying for a job, let your education and presentation of character do the impressing and securing of the job.***

cheers and good luck......ever think of a rabbits foot keychain?

Clearly it comes down to what you think is a CPR save. Very rarely will a CPR save pt. not sustain the same quality life as they did before. I happen to work in an area were we have a high elderly population. Therefore we average roughly and this is a statistic by my captain 2 CPR jobs per month.

OK, we will discuss what constitutes a save in another thread...however, you have not answered any of my questions. I do not think your elderly population can compare to where I came from...FLorida, the number one retirement center also known as heaven's waiting room. This is not a rough statistic, this is a fact....we were guarenteed a code every shift. They drop like flies every day there and more just keep replacing them. Usually there were several a shift throughout the coverage area, not just my unit alone.

So based on your rough average of 2 codes a month and having 12 saves...that is very impressive. There are some very progressive/agressive systems that do a lot of research for the rest of the EMS community and they can not provide statistics as such.

At this point, it is ok to eat some humble pie and maybe clarify the situation for us. Did you participate in all 12 of these saves? What was your role/contribution? What state were they left in at the hospital? What was their final disposition?

Regardless of your answers, boasting of 12 saves is nothing to crow about. It truly is insignificant and no it is not because we are jealous or whatever other thoughts you may have. It just is not a professional statistic to brag about except maybe to other junior members on the squad I presume.

We will help you, advise you and answer any question to further your knowledge and interest in EMS, however it is frustratiing when one is given advice and they miss the point entirely; it just means they are not paying attention.

You have yet to give an intelligent well thought out answer to anyone's responses. I would like to hear more from you so I can understand where you are coming from, but you have to be honest and not try to BS anyone, especially someone who has been around the block.

You have yet to give an intelligent well thought out answer to anyone's responses.

Yes, but I do give him props for not getting hostile, argumentative, just disappearing, or other such immaturity we see from adults here everyday. I still see potential.

At least he continues to face the music.

Now if he will just listen to the words.

Guys, this kids cool. I've been corresponding via PM's with him and he's never once gotten hostile or upset at my questions and I've asked some good ones.

I think he's a good kid and I'm impressed that he's not cringed under the pressure you've thrown at him.

What he is telling me sounds good and I believe he has the save numbers to back up his statements.

Hey Pro emt please let them know the results of your follow ups on the saves you've worked.

Twelve saves may sound impressive on the EMS chats. But, those calls may happen 2 out of a 100 if that in some areas. As an employer, I would want to know how you can handle yourself on the the other 98 calls. The majority of EMS work will not be all blood and glory. Your presentation to your future employer will be what he/she will expect you to be as you represent the company to the public.

Somebody mentioned Florida "God's waiting room". (My mother is in that group at 91 - Boynton Beach) Truly lots of codes, but also a lot of hand holding and/or comforting words for the grandmother with the hip fx.

Can you talk to people in complete sentences and make eye contact? Are you able to communicate effectively enough to talk anybody through a procedure (splinting, extrication) effectively and assuringly? Can I see your confidence by your body posture?

Or, will you give the impression of the grunt, slouch and frown group that hates running any call that isn't filled with the excitement of a "save"?

Ruff, I trust your assessment.

Yes I am impressed by his hanging around and not being a pissant like so many others, damn it I should of mentioned it. I get preoccupied and forget to give two positives for every negative...it happens sometimes. However, I was not that harsh, I truly wanted to know the answers to my questions.

Anywho, we shall see...

Forgive the late entry here, folks, but becksdad has been on a bit of a hiatus, and DwayneEMT-B has threatened to spread vicious lies about me if I did not post something soon. :lol: . So just to clarify, I am not in jail (anymore), I haven't drastically changed my lifestyle, and the cult is now disbanded :wink:

Anyway, I will echo what I see others saying here - most far more experienced and qualified than myself. Re-focus on what you want to present to a potential employer. I don't think anyone would be impressed with discussions of skills, "saves" (I'll leave that one alone), or anything else "dramatic". Besides, after you've done it a few times, CPR is one of the most undramatic things I can think of. If the prospective employer is worth working for, there will be some kind of testing or scenarios. That is the place to demonstrate knowledge/skills. The interview is the place to demonstrate who you are - qualities you possess that are desirable in the field of EMS.

Look the interviewer in the eye. Be honest, be yourself. There will most likely be opportunities in the interview for discussion that will give clues as to your initiative, common sense, critical thinking, compassion, ethics, maturity, honesty, and humility. Communicating a desire to learn and experience more sends a powerful message. Because the truth is that there is far, far more that we don't know as opposed to what we do know.

Finally, a little thing that I have noticed in different interviews over the years (both in and out of EMS).

Instead of approaching the interview with the state of mind that I really need or want this job, and I must impress them, approach with the attitude of being interested in becoming a colleague. It changes the entire atmosphere of the encounter. You are both interested in each other then, and the discussion tends to flow easily, spontaneously. And then, the outcome of the interview becomes secondary to the encounter itself - each of you getting a "feel" for the other. Quite Zen, eh?

Anyway, good luck to you in your endeavors. I hope you become associated with an employer worth working for.

Forgive the late entry here, folks, but becksdad has been on a bit of a hiatus, and DwayneEMT-B has threatened to spread vicious lies about me if I did not post something soon. :lol: . So just to clarify, I am not in jail (anymore), I haven't drastically changed my lifestyle, and the cult is now disbanded :wink:

Anyway, I will echo what I see others saying here - most far more experienced and qualified than myself. Re-focus on what you want to present to a potential employer. I don't think anyone would be impressed with discussions of skills, "saves" (I'll leave that one alone), or anything else "dramatic". Besides, after you've done it a few times, CPR is one of the most undramatic things I can think of. If the prospective employer is worth working for, there will be some kind of testing or scenarios. That is the place to demonstrate knowledge/skills. The interview is the place to demonstrate who you are - qualities you possess that are desirable in the field of EMS.

Look the interviewer in the eye. Be honest, be yourself. There will most likely be opportunities in the interview for discussion that will give clues as to your initiative, common sense, critical thinking, compassion, ethics, maturity, honesty, and humility. Communicating a desire to learn and experience more sends a powerful message. Because the truth is that there is far, far more that we don't know as opposed to what we do know.

Finally, a little thing that I have noticed in different interviews over the years (both in and out of EMS).

Instead of approaching the interview with the state of mind that I really need or want this job, and I must impress them, approach with the attitude of being interested in becoming a colleague. It changes the entire atmosphere of the encounter. You are both interested in each other then, and the discussion tends to flow easily, spontaneously. And then, the outcome of the interview becomes secondary to the encounter itself - each of you getting a "feel" for the other. Quite Zen, eh?

Anyway, good luck to you in your endeavors. I hope you become associated with an employer worth working for.

+1. Now that's some good advice.

Shane

NREMT-P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.