What Would A Paid Employeer Like To See On EMT Resume?

Pro_EMT

Well Well NPWIDMD?

National Put Words in Dusts Mouth Day and I missed it.....Rats foiled again. :twisted:

The 12 saves ?....well if you can't see the controversy in this thread ......... check out my signature.

ak: Does the "village idiots helper line still work" at least I am employable..."helper" is the "KEY" word there! LOL.

Seeing as the conversation has gone a little sideways here is my .02 cents CND: ok free.

The myth of the 1 page C.V. is a 'old wives tale' unless your working for a puppy mill, if an employer doest want to take any more time than that to evaluate a future employee then so be it. It has been mentioned to myself during the interview process that (MY C.V. is 4 whole pages) long, the highlights of training are on the front page, that is a very good point, agreed.

In your case Pro Emt and if your age really is 17, I would go with enthusiasn, willing to learn, excited about any educational opportunities route. Whatever you do don't pack details of job descriptions it just makes one look petty. Don't do ANY fabrication, this will sewer you even before your on the phone back list, the employers really look for this as an immediate file "G" !

If you get to the Interview process what can you do for your Employer, NOT what are the benefits and hourly rates of pay, that you can find out after. Good recommendations are a must, chose people that are concise on the phone, and make absolutely certain they are informed that a possible employer could be calling.

The idea of "preening someone" "orienting them to a service" or in other words brainwash them into that particular organization I find quite distasteful, A GOOD employer is looking for someone with a good track record and 'educated' experience applied. Oh yes he may have to pay a little more, but a GOOD employer is doing a risk assessment as well woth it in the long run.

cheers and good luck.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I think someone listing "12 CPR saves" on a resume is actually quite beneficial for an employer. It says quite a bit about the prospective employee's intelligence, understanding, and grasp of prehospital care as a whole. Show me someone who isn't 65 years old who hasn't been doing EMS since muttonchops were in style who is bragging abot 12 CPR saves, and I'll show you someone who is gonna put the ambulance into the drink rushing to the unconfirmed drowning victim. It won't help you get a job, of course, but it is very helpful for employers to put down "12 CPR saves."

If this isn't evidence that we need to increase education for EMT's, I don't know what is.

It won't help you get a job, of course, but it is very helpful for employers to put down "12 CPR saves."

LMAO!! :)

Excellent point, Deano!

This is what happens when somebody watches a couple years worth of Turd Watch episodes, and then thinks they now have two years worth of EMS experience.

LMAO!! :)

Excellent point, Deano!

This is what happens when somebody watches a couple years worth of Turd Watch episodes, and then thinks they now have two years worth of EMS experience.

Well i just went into my first interview and i listed my CPR saves. My employeer was actually impressed he said because he has hired people with more experience you havnt had half the CPR experience as i did.

Yeah... and is this an EMS job, or an ambulance job? There is a difference, you know.

Hold your celebration until you actually punch the clock. Chances are, this guy was just being polite. The proof is in the callback.

I'm curious, if you already know it all, and already knew what you were going to do, why did you bother to come here asking questions? Your questions impressed me. Your responses did not.

I have 12 REAL CPR saves on my squad.

I think what people are asking is "what does this mean? How do you define save? Are you claiming you were involved in each of them? If not, how does it reflect on you personally?

If you listed twelve "saves" that you were involved with then your potential employer will know that you are either Jesus, a liar, or have no idea what most medical professionals consider a save. If you weren't involve they will know you're ignorant as to what would be considered mature information to put on a resume and/or a wanker....neither are flattering things to imply about yourself at an interview...

Some folks here are attempting to educate you and help you avoid looking foolish in the professional arena...If you're anything like me...you should listen to them.

Dwayne

NOTE: If you turn out, in fact, to be Jesus, then I apologize for what I said above...(Also, was I somehow unclear when we chatted about my exam last Thursday? :shock: )

Awwww, you guys beat me to it.

ANyways, yes the question is what are you considering a save?

12 ROSC calls that survived to discharge is quite incredulous, especially at age 17 and on an all BLS possibly volunteer squad.

You have yet to answer the questions I posed to you earlier in this thread. Knowing those figures would help me appreciate your situation, especially # calls ran and units utilized.

There are members here who have been in EMS as long as you have been alive, I am almost there. I have worked in some very busy systems with very mixed demographics and a wide array of situations and I can not claim 12 saves to my name.

DO yourself a favor and look at the research, especially the stuff put out by the AHA and tell me what they say about "saves".

How often do they occur and how often does the person survive to discharge with all neuro intact and return to the same quality of life they had before the arrest.

Now all of this is a moot point if your definition of a save is they got a pulse back before you cleared the ER. Regardless, to list such a thing as an accomplishment is a profound display of immaturity and lack of professionalism.

SOmeone else said it earlier and I will repeat...your employer was probably being nice and was quietly thinking you are an idiot or very naieve. I will just assume the latter.

We are not here to destroy you or discredit you but please note you do not need to put the fluff in our nutter sandwiches or anyone elses for that matter.

***When applying for a job, let your education and presentation of character do the impressing and securing of the job.***

Well i just went into my first interview and i listed my CPR saves. My employeer was actually impressed he said because he has hired people with more experience you havnt had half the CPR experience as i did.

The system that he is "working" in is this. It is a BLS ambulance with and ALS chase vehicle. I am quite certain that the saves he is referring to are pulses at arrival in ER, and he is also probably on a volunteer squad and even more possibly a cadet. In NJ, the system is two tiered, BLS ambulance and ALS chase vehicle. EMT's in NJ can only pump and blow. There are no provisions for them to do anything more then that. The other problem about the intelligence level in EMT's these days is this, they just have no common sense. I think that this is pretty evident by the posts. I am not trying to be mean but I work in NJ and have for many years and know the system all too well.

Yeah... and is this an EMS job, or an ambulance job? There is a difference, you know.

Hold your celebration until you actually punch the clock. Chances are, this guy was just being polite. The proof is in the callback.

I'm curious, if you already know it all, and already knew what you were going to do, why did you bother to come here asking questions? Your questions impressed me. Your responses did not.

I ask questions so i can get an in sight on what people think, and from people whom have obtained more experience than me. Im current awaiting scheduling- and its muncipal EMS 911 if that answers your questions.

Don't disillusion yourself into thinking that CPR is a difficult task to perform. I don't know why any employer involved in EMS for any length of time would be impressed by "CPR experience." It's a pretty mindless process. If this is what your "employer" (if you don't have the job, then it's not your employer) finds impressive, I'd reconsider my thoughts on the service.

Again, you're being asked what you consider a "save?" Is it ROSC? Does the patient have to survive to walk out of the hospital? What is your definition? Like others, I've been doing this for a while and can't claim more than a couple of saves. Does this make me less of a provider? Or just one applying appropriate definitions? Just some things to think about. Good luck with getting hired for the job.

Shane

NREMT-P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.