What Would A Paid Employeer Like To See On EMT Resume?

Pro_EMT

Geeeze... what is this, national Put Words In Dustdevil's Mouth Day, or what? :?

Absolutely agreed. And that is one of the big points I was attempting to convey.

Just quoted your statement, but really fiqured you did not mean it the way it came out. Sorry to nit pic. Have a great national Put Words In Dustdevil's Mouth Day. O yea is this a paid holiday?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RESUME one page: Name address

Statement of purpose; one sentence: EMT-B with 2 years of experience seeking employment with professioal EMS service.

Professional Certifications/licenses with cert #

Education (professional, college)

Additional Training; PHTLS, BTLS, ACLS for Basics etc, professional seminars

Work Experience Including Volunteer

Briefly describe as "Active volunteer in a

service that runs X calls/month consisting of trauma, medical, interfacility

transport.

If you don't go over the one page limit or crowd the data, list some of the equipment

you have worked with.

Professional and community affiliations; Prof. State EMS societies, Red Cross,

community development, volunteer search and rescue groups etc

END

Keep everything brief and to the point in the resume and interview. Know all the equipment you have worked with by trade and manufacturer name. Be familiar with a couple of different types of equipment that perform similar functions. Again, answer comparison questions briefly to the point and objectively without elaborating by "that piece of equipment is *&*%".

Running "transfer" calls will give you a chance to get more familiar with medical terminology and assessment skills without the stress of time of an on scene trauma call. It may also make the day of that nursing home pt to get a little extra attention and they may enjoy participating in your assessment. Repetition will give you some automatic skills that will start to come naturally with every call and then give you a chance to focus on other critical skills. It will also give you a chance to enhance your communication and interpersonal skills with the patients and other healthcare providers. Nothing worse than handing off a patient at a hospital to an EMT that can do little more than grunt and frown. It leaves the hospital worker feeling like it might actually have been better to have called a taxi for the pt. (a suggestion made by many disgruntled EMTs)

Don't know where all of the Medicare fraud stuff is coming from. Occasionally a company will do something and they get caught. There are a lot of monitors out there and whistle blower incentives. Nursing Homes and hospitals have liability issues. If a nursing home is transferring a pt that "looks" good to you, you may not have looked closely. Did you notice the labs, trending BPs or pts overall ability? Your attitude toward routine transfers may cloud your judgement and may make you a very unreliable health care provider in providing quality care to all. Even in Rescue EMS, you will run alot of calls that look routine, but may be far from it.

If you don't go over the one page limit or crowd the data, list some of the equipment you have work with. <snip>

Know all the equipment you have worked with by trade and manufacturer name. Be familiar with a couple of different types of equipment that perform similar functions. Again, answer comparison questions briefly to the point and objectively without elaborating by "that piece of equipment is *&*%".

Dude, you come up with some of the best advice!

Plus 5. :thumbright:

...ALWAYS put down volunteer work, even if you list it under a special section.

Fine advice. Listing it without trying to tout it as actual employment is a good way to go.

Employers care far less about how much you made than they do experience of any kind in your chosen field. Any most, if not all, are impressed by the fact that you care enough about what you do, that you are still out there helping people for no pay.

Sorry, but as one who has done plenty of hiring in EMS, I disagree. These are businessmen we are talking about. Managers and entrepeneurs. What they would be impressed by is the professional maturity of understanding and respecting their business as a business, and not a hobby. When you cheapen your services, you cheapen theirs too. You are devaluing their business by proclaiming that it should be provided for free. How can you insult somebody's business and profession and expect them to be impressed by that attitude? I know you have taken psych and sociology courses, Man. Put some of those concepts to use here and try and understand how a BUSINESSMAN thinks, not how the average EMT thinks. These are not average EMTs doing the hiring at most places. And they certainly don't think it is as awesome cool to be a whacker as you do.

It has everything to do with a few factors, namely

1.) Most transfer services are Medicare fraud mills.

2.) You will be asked to do unethical or illegal things in the name of profit.

3.) The management of these companies do not want EMTs, they want wheelchair van drivers who use oxygen and and take a blood pressure.

4.) Most transfer service protocols are very conservative, in the "please don't sue us" kind of way.

5.) You are basically dumped on by everyone, 911 crews hate you, nursing homes hate you and other medical professionals hate you.

I work transfer, and try damned hard to treat my patients and be a true EMS professional;But, at the end of the day, you go home and no one respects you for anything you did that day, it definitely affects your morale toward the job and willingness to continue.

As far as your resume, if you did something wonderfully amazing, say so. Otherwise, a brief synopsis of your position and a rough idea of the responsibilities you had in your position, will suffice.

I agree with you 100%

Wow , I must say that is an impressive record, however I would like more information if you would not mind.

Over what time frame are those saves (last year, 5 years, 10 years??)

How many trucks do you have?

What is the population profile you serve? ( number of people and median age)

How many calls does your squad run a year?

How many of those calls are cardiac?

Was there pre EMS CPR or AED?

I ask all of this cause it is relevant for me to comprehend 12 real cpr saves to discharge, unless of course you mean they were discharged to nursing homes as vegetables.

Thanks

At 17 years of age, how much time can he have into the service? My guess is not very long. With my years in EMS, I find 12 "REAL CPR saves" that made it to discharge difficult to believe at best. It's not a secret that the majority of in the field cardiac arrests are never going to have ROSC. So for someone w/limited time in the field (I'm basing limited time on age) to claim 12 of them...I find it hard to believe. It's not impossible, but not likely either. Working as a paramedic in a city of 125,000 people, I see an average of 15-20 codes a year. And in the other city that I work for, we cover a city of 71,000 (covered with three ambulances) each medic averages 1-2 codes per month. Just some number to consider when you're throwing a number like "12 REAL CPR saves" out there to those that do it for a living. It sounds like a stretch, regardless of if it is or not.

Shane

NREMT-P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.