What Would A Paid Employeer Like To See On EMT Resume?

Pro_EMT

I would really like to know why all these new EMT's don't want to do transfers. Are you too good to do transfers? I've been in EMS for nearly 15 years, and I've worked part-time for transport services for 10 years of it. The current emergency service I work for is hospital based, so I'm still doing transfers. You want a good looking resume? Take the ambulance job you can get, make the most of it, and put a good amount of time into the job. If you can stick out running on a BLS transport car for a year, you can stick out any job.

It has everything to do with a few factors, namely

1.) Most transfer services are Medicare fraud mills.

2.) You will be asked to do unethical or illegal things in the name of profit.

3.) The management of these companies do not want EMTs, they want wheelchair van drivers who use oxygen and and take a blood pressure.

4.) Most transfer service protocols are very conservative, in the "please don't sue us" kind of way.

5.) You are basically dumped on by everyone, 911 crews hate you, nursing homes hate you and other medical professionals hate you.

I work transfer, and try damned hard to treat my patients and be a true EMS professional;But, at the end of the day, you go home and no one respects you for anything you did that day, it definitely affects your morale toward the job and willingness to continue.

As far as your resume, if you did something wonderfully amazing, say so. Otherwise, a brief synopsis of your position and a rough idea of the responsibilities you had in your position, will suffice.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I am too good to do transfers, just like I am too good to clean toilets or dig ditches. You have a problem with that?

So anyhow, back to the original question, this presents a dilemma. As an employer, I and many others, do NOT want to see volunteer experience on your resume. Like it or not, being a volunteer says many unflattering things about your professionalism. But, on the other hand, having been certified two years without any experience doesn't look so hot on a resume either. Therin lies the dilemma. Of course, I realise that NJ is in it's own little world and tends to see things differently than the rest of the profession too. :?

What I would most like to see on a newbie's resume is education. Your willingness and ability to complete education (not training) indicates to me your willingness and ability to pay attention and learn new things. I want you to learn to work for ME, the way I want you to work. I do not want you to simply come to my agency and do the same thing you did for somebody else for free. Therefore, if you have any relevant education besides EMT school, you should certainly hilight this on your resume. Did you take Chemistry, Biology, Physiology, Psychology, Sociology, or advanced mathematics in high school? List them! Don't just list "high school" in general. Do you speak a foreign language fluently? List it! Did you serve as an athletic trainer in high school? List it! All these are things that I would look favourably upon as a potential employer.

Also realise that if you are applying for a non-EMS transport position, many of them also are not interested in volunteer EMS people because they usually don't stay long and do a half-arse job because they would rather be doing real EMS. And EMS experience isn't that relevant to the transfer business anyhow, so again, consider if your volunteer experience is really a relevant positive to your employer before you emphasise it on your resume.

Actually, you should consider that probably any EMS provider (as opposed to horizontal taxi service) who hires you before age 21 probably sucks and is probably not worth working for. Think about it, if they are that indiscriminate about who they hire, how much faith do you have in any of their other professional policies? Keep that in mind.

Yes, I am too good to do transfers, just like I am too good to clean toilets or dig ditches. You have a problem with that?

So anyhow, back to the original question, this presents a dilemma. As an employer, I and many others, do NOT want to see volunteer experience on your resume. Like it or not, being a volunteer says many unflattering things about your professionalism. But, on the other hand, having been certified two years without any experience doesn't look so hot on a resume either. Therin lies the dilemma. Of course, I realise that NJ is in it's own little world and tends to see things differently than the rest of the profession too. :?

What I would most like to see on a newbie's resume is education. Your willingness and ability to complete education (not training) indicates to me your willingness and ability to pay attention and learn new things. I want you to learn to work for ME, the way I want you to work. I do not want you to simply come to my agency and do the same thing you did for somebody else for free. Therefore, if you have any relevant education besides EMT school, you should certainly hilight this on your resume. Did you take Chemistry, Biology, Physiology, Psychology, Sociology, or advanced mathematics in high school? List them! Don't just list "high school" in general. Do you speak a foreign language fluently? List it! Did you serve as an athletic trainer in high school? List it! All these are things that I would look favourably upon as a potential employer.

Also realise that if you are applying for a non-EMS transport position, many of them also are not interested in volunteer EMS people because they usually don't stay long and do a half-arse job because they would rather be doing real EMS. And EMS experience isn't that relevant to the transfer business anyhow, so again, consider if your volunteer experience is really a relevant positive to your employer before you emphasise it on your resume.

Actually, you should consider that probably any EMS provider (as opposed to horizontal taxi service) who hires you before age 21 probably sucks and is probably not worth working for. Think about it, if they are that indiscriminate about who they hire, how much faith do you have in any of their other professional policies? Keep that in mind.

My squad pays four EMTs. Three out the the four are no good- the one is ok. So for sombody to say volunteers dont do nothing thats a big statement because half the NJ is volunteer EMS. I have 12 REAL CPR saves on my squad. Thats not volunteer expeirence to list?

When I lived in Boston, I got a job through a headhunter service called Kennington and Associates, one of the biggest on the East Coast. First of all, keep your resume to one page. The average potential employer looks at your resume for a maximum of 15 seconds. Second, regardless of what Dust says, ALWAYS put down volunteer work, even if you list it under a special section. Employers care far less about how much you made than they do experience of any kind in your chosen field. Any most, if not all, are impressed by the fact that you care enough about what you do, that you are still out there helping people for no pay. At least 50% of the job apps I have filled out ask for volunteer experience. If they don't or if you are putting on your resume just list it as another job, ie "ABC City Volunteer Fire and Rescue." Trust me, they care about that experience.

I have 12 REAL CPR saves on my squad. Thats not volunteer expeirence to list?

Are we talking survival to discharge or ROSC? Not that it matters, because CPR is not exactly brain surgery. Heck, I might as well put that I've never lost a patient as an EMT in my resume.

When I lived in Boston, I got a job through a headhunter service called Kennington and Associates, one of the biggest on the East Coast. First of all, keep your resume to one page. The average potential employer looks at your resume for a maximum of 15 seconds. Second, regardless of what Dust says, ALWAYS put down volunteer work, even if you list it under a special section. Employers care far less about how much you made than they do experience of any kind in your chosen field. Any most, if not all, are impressed by the fact that you care enough about what you do, that you are still out there helping people for no pay. At least 50% of the job apps I have filled out ask for volunteer experience. If they don't or if you are putting on your resume just list it as another job, ie "ABC City Volunteer Fire and Rescue." Trust me, they care about that experience.

I agree list your volunteer service. Yes you may have some people look down on it but others will appreciate that you have the desire and fulfilled it in the only way possible initially. I started volunteer and still look consider it my home service even if only get to help 1 or 2 days a year. I have seen volunteer service listed in employment section, but it seems to carry more weight when placed in special heading such as Community Involvement.

As a side point I do feel that for us to be more recognized as professionals that as with other health professions the number of people giving their skills away for free will need to drop. Just my $.02.

My squad pays four EMTs. Three out the the four are no good- the one is ok. So for sombody to say volunteers dont do nothing thats a big statement because half the NJ is volunteer EMS.

I believe you misunderstood me. I never said they "dont do nothing." I never even insinuated such. I know that many of them run their arses off. What I said was that giving your services away for free is not a flattering thing to say about yourself. It says that you place a very low value on yourself. And if you don't value yourself or your services, why should I? If you gave it to the last guy for free, what is my motivation to pay you for this? This is how logically and professionally thinking adults think. And, if by chance your prospective employer is such a person, this may affect your chances adversely. Sure, they don't expect a kid right out of high school to understand this, but it is impressive if you do. If you present a lower key, less braggadocious attitude to your potential employer, it will reflect positively on your maturity. If you want a real job in the adult world, you will do well to present a mature, adult demeanour. It is hard enough to get an EMS job atg your age as it is.

I also tried to make the distinction between applying for a real EMS job and applying for a non-EMS ambulance job. Sice you have not yet clarified that for us, I tried to cover both scenarios for you. I apologise if that was confusing.

I have 12 REAL CPR saves on my squad. Thats not volunteer expeirence to list?

As JP said, CPR is not rocket science. Your dubious claim to saves may impress the girls at your high school, but to a professional medic who is interviewing you for a job, it is not particularly meaningful. Yes, it says that you have seen enough real action that you probably won't lose your lunch on a scene and quit in the middle of a shift, which is certainly a good thing. But, other than that, it says little. It doesn't say you are any good. It doesn't say that you are cut out for the business. What it does say, in addition to the low value you place on your services, is that you probably picked up a lot of bad habits that your new employer is going to have to spend time breaking (like not using KEDs because the losers you work with convinced you it was not necessary, despite their ITLS and PHTLS training). A great many employers, myself included, would much rather take a fresh out of school newbie and indoctrinate them professionally than to have to re-train somebody who thinks they have so much experience that they already know everything. And frankly, true or not, your claim to twelve CPR saves on a BLS volly squad sounds very much like a BS story, which will immediately turn off a potential employer.

You asked what employers look for, and that is what I am telling you. Sorry if it doesn't fit with your 17 year old view of what looks good, or what other EMTs here who have never been in management think. Sure, there are a lot of unprofessional and uneducated idiots in EMS management in this country, and they may think differently than me. But if you are looking for employment with a professionally managed agency that is actually worth working for, I urge you to give careful consideration to my advice.

And again, good luck.

I believe you misunderstood me. I never said they "dont do nothing." I never even insinuated such. I know that many of them run their arses off. What I said was that giving your services away for free is not a flattering thing to say about yourself. It says that you place a very low value on yourself. And if you don't value yourself or your services, why should I? If you gave it to the last guy for free, what is my motivation to pay you for this? This is how logically and professionally thinking adults think. And, if by chance your prospective employer is such a person, this may affect your chances adversely. Sure, they don't expect a kid right out of high school to understand this, but it is impressive if you do. If you present a lower key, less braggadocious attitude to your potential employer, it will reflect positively on your maturity. If you want a real job in the adult world, you will do well to present a mature, adult demeanour. It is hard enough to get an EMS job atg your age as it is.

I also tried to make the distinction between applying for a real EMS job and applying for a non-EMS ambulance job. Sice you have not yet clarified that for us, I tried to cover both scenarios for you. I apologise if that was confusing.

As JP said, CPR is not rocket science. Your dubious claim to saves may impress the girls at your high school, but to a professional medic who is interviewing you for a job, it is not particularly meaningful. Yes, it says that you have seen enough real action that you probably won't lose your lunch on a scene and quit in the middle of a shift, which is certainly a good thing. But, other than that, it says little. It doesn't say you are any good. It doesn't say that you are cut out for the business. What it does say, in addition to the low value you place on your services, is that you probably picked up a lot of bad habits that your new employer is going to have to spend time breaking (like not using KEDs because the losers you work with convinced you it was not necessary, despite their ITLS and PHTLS training). A great many employers, myself included, would much rather take a fresh out of school newbie and indoctrinate them professionally than to have to re-train somebody who thinks they have so much experience that they already know everything. And frankly, true or not, your claim to twelve saves sounds on a BLS volly squad sounds very much like a BS story, which will immediately turn off a potential employer.

You asked what employers look for, and that is what I am telling you. Sorry if it doesn't fit with your 17 year old view of what looks good, or what other EMTs here who have never been in management think. Sure, there are a lot of unprofessional and uneducated idiots in EMS management in this country, and they may think differently than me. But if you are looking for employment with a professionally managed agency that is actually worth working for, I urge you to give careful consideration to my advice.

And again, good luck.

Dust what makes everyone with a different opinion than you "unprofessional and uneducated idiots in EMS management"? I appreciate your opinions but calling those of us with different opinions names really makes you seem unprofessional. My opinion is based on my time in management and even as a business owner. I also base my answer on the professional acting and extremely well educated volunteers I was associated with.

Again I do feel volunteers need to stop giving away services. It is time that all areas find ways to fund EMS.

Now that PRO-EMT has some ideas he should visit with people already with companys he's interested in working for to see what the person in charge looks for. All of us can really only give an opinion of what we look for.

Dust what makes everyone with a different opinion than you "unprofessional and uneducated idiots in EMS management"?

Geeeze... what is this, national Put Words In Dustdevil's Mouth Day, or what? :?

Now that PRO-EMT has some ideas he should visit with people already with companys he's interested in working for to see what the person in charge looks for. All of us can really only give an opinion of what we look for.

Absolutely agreed. And that is one of the big points I was attempting to convey.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.