Plastic Burn Dressings?

ReD

I posted this here because B&S is a BLS skill but I would like ALS opinions as well.

I was looking through a European EMS catalog and in their burn dressing section that have what looks like plastic wrap for burns. The description is as follows:

BURN-KLING

• An approved and accepted burn dressing

• Widely used for burns treatment by

Ambulance Services and Hospital Burns Units

• A simple but effective way to protect a burn

• No special training is required

• Still allows the burn to be cooled by

traditional methods - while Burn Kling is in place

• Prevents loss of moisture from the burn

• Hygienic dispenser available

what are yall's thoughts?

http://www.spservices.co.uk/product_info.p...roducts_id/1478

here's a link for ya.

to me it looks just like a roll of clear plastic like you would get at any grocery store.

Sterilize that roll of Kling wrap from the grocery store and use it.

http://www.spservices.co.uk/product_info.p...roducts_id/1478

here's a link for ya.

to me it looks just like a roll of clear plastic like you would get at any grocery store.

Sterilize that roll of Kling wrap from the grocery store and use it.

yeah, thats the catalog i was looking through.

In my jump kit i cary a roll of plastic wrap- I cut it at 3inches so i have a 3inch role and a 9inch roll. The 9 inch i cut down for a flutter valve and a severe arterial bleeding were all my other dressings fail- trauma pad on top and wrap it with a 9inch roll. However i have never used it on a burn Pt. nor do i treat many. I would assume you can use a trauma,abd, or etc with standard saline solution to wet it down and cover it with plastic wrap to make an oclusive dressing to prevent infection. But, stick to your training if it is within your scope to use an occlusive dressings- and indicated on a burn pt than go for it, ill check my books and get back to you.

We have it in our wildfire kits for treating burns. From what I've heard it’s excellent when you’ve gotta get a firey from the front line and you don’t have much time to worry about treating them until you get to the staging area. You can wrap it around there burn while your running back to the truck. I guess it’s for infection prevention. Gets pretty messy up the front.

Hmmm... I kinda like the concept, although I have no experience with this, nor have I seen any research on it.

All throughout the late 70's and early 80's, many agencies utilised shaving cream (non-mentholated, please!) to cover burns with. Saran Wrap is no crazier an idea, really. Although, I would be very doubtful that this could approach the efficacy of BurnJel dressings.

Cling film is advocated as a burn dressing at all levels in the UK. It has a number of advantages:

1)Sterile.

2)easy to apply even to burns of large area.

3)Can help to reduce pain as it prevents the movement of air over the burn surface.

4)It allows the burn to be viewed without the need to remove dressings thus minimising the risk of infection.

5)does not stick to the burn.

In respect to applying it general practice is to remove the first 2 turns of the role to make shure that the cling film is Sterile. Then it is applied over the burn. It is important however not to apply it as a role particluarly for example around limbs or around a chest as when the injured part swells it can impede circulation. Therefor it should be applied in strips to maintain circulation distal to the burn.

As for Burn Kling bit of a rip off normal cling film will do just as well and is less bulky. I keep a role in the bottom of my bag.

NOW I know why we had that kling in the ambulance. I just thought it was to cover the pyrex dishes we brought to the EMS Dinners. ha

This is a good idea. I like the fact that Kling, it's not your ordinary dressing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.