Pressing charges against patients

if I remember the original post, the patient was Baker Acted and that means that they are supposed to have a psych eval in 96 hours before they can get out or go on to a psych facility.

Psych patients do not act like other patients. I had a perfectly normal acting psych patient until I asked him his name and he said he was Jesus.

I have never pressed charges against a psych patient, I've tried but after being told by a veteran paramedic not to because it won't go anywhere due to the "mental Illness" defense. Prosecutors are very very reluctant to file charges on psych patients.

I have been assaulted by psych patients, had one stab me in the shoulder with my pen when she signed the papers for financial responsibility. She didn't get charges filed.

I've been assaulted by a drunk trauma patient and then her boyfriend got in the melee, she was not charged but the boyfriend was.

Was I hurt badly in any of the assaults - no. Do I believe that people need to have consequences attached to their actions - absolutely but you have to pick your battles.

If you were not hurt badly and by your post it sounds like your ego and security were more injured than you and this is a normal feeling when a patient assaults you. It doesn't make you a lesser person. But we as a society have become so much about "getting even" or making someone pay that I am sure that pressing charges is along those lines.

Chalk this up to a learning experience. Go back and look at what you did and didn't do to keep yourself safe. Go back and review why it got to this point and what you can do in the future to keep this from happening again.

To clarify on the patient a little more. He was baker acted for suicidal ideology and has been to the facility on numerous occasions. He is not delusional, is not schizo affective, does not suffer from hallucinations or hearing voices, ect. He gets depressed and is rational enough to make the decision to voluntarily come to the ER but then gets aggressive when he decides its time to go. But at that point, he is BA and not allowed to leave until the psych eval. Now, after reading these posts and talking to a couple other people, I don't think I'll press charges on the fact that I wasn't really hurt. Just shocked for a little while. But as some of you said, chalk it up to experience. I will never enter an aggressive situation without backup again. It could have been much worse. However, if I was really injured (any fractures, severe swelling, CT necessary), then I would pursue. It's not like the guy is completely insane and unable to make rational decisions. He's probably out on the street as I type this right now. Fit for the street but not for a cell I guess.

..Now, after reading these posts and talking to a couple other people, I don't think I'll press charges on the fact that I wasn't really hurt. Just shocked for a little while. But as some of you said, chalk it up to experience. I will never enter an aggressive situation without backup again.

Outstanding!! You have restored my faith in the integrity of young people!

As Ruff said, being attacked, hurt or not, damages your sense of security...and that makes you mad. It should. The fact that you've decided to deal with that and make REAL changes as opposed to pretend changes speaks volumes about your character. (Putting this person in jail makes you feel better but doesn't keep you from getting punched in the head tomorrow)

You made my day.

Have a great (safe) day!

Dwayne

To clarify on the patient a little more. He was baker acted for suicidal ideology and has been to the facility on numerous occasions. He is not delusional, is not schizo affective, does not suffer from hallucinations or hearing voices, ect. He gets depressed and is rational enough to make the decision to voluntarily come to the ER but then gets aggressive when he decides its time to go. But at that point, he is BA and not allowed to leave until the psych eval. Now, after reading these posts and talking to a couple other people, I don't think I'll press charges on the fact that I wasn't really hurt. Just shocked for a little while. But as some of you said, chalk it up to experience. I will never enter an aggressive situation without backup again. It could have been much worse. However, if I was really injured (any fractures, severe swelling, CT necessary), then I would pursue. It's not like the guy is completely insane and unable to make rational decisions. He's probably out on the street as I type this right now. Fit for the street but not for a cell I guess.

OMG, a rationale person who realizes the futility of using the justice system in place of being an adult? Wow, 10 points, congratulations on your decision. I'm getting a better picture of the situation, and this guy does actually sound more like an a--hole than a legit psych patient, but still, your ER staff sounds like a bunch of wusses. How would they deal if I sent them the 6'8 guy who caused me to have to hold onto a hand santizer dispenser on the wall to prevent him from putting me into an airplane spin over his head? Don't laugh. This really happened. He lunged towards a nurse, at the time I though tackling him would be a good idea. It wasn't.

Psych patient why bother with legal.

Drunks got mentioned - persue them, their actions were started by a choice and they need to face justice. Maybe this will keep them from killing someone next time. Seen to much death and destruction caused by drunks that almost always seem to walk away uninjured.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.